• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Yeah, because it's totally possible to build a world full of magical creatures, land- and cityscapes like Azeroth without CGI... the amount of details in every single frame is amazing; the real costumes, weapons, and armour are directly taken from the game and so detailed they moved the creator of the game series to tears. Having watched the whole thing again last weekend, it's even better the second time. The story is pretty nicely shaped into something a newcomer can understand while still being multilayered for those who know what's really going on there (trust me, it's there for everyone to see, but if you don't know what to look for, you don't realise it). They are building the world and mythos one step at a time without leaving anything out. You are actually transported to a more realistic version of the World of Warcraft where you can still identify each location and place the setting for every scene. Those shots of Stormwind, Iron Forge, or the Elwynn Forest are so beautiful, it's amazing. The music, BTW, perfectly captures the music style from the game, with hints on the classic themes here and there while mostly using new ones completely in synch with what's come before.

Now, you could easily say I'm a fanboy because I play the game. I've talked to several people who never spent a single minute with a Warcraft game, but are open to new fantasy worlds that explicitly don't look like New Zealand, and they enjoyed the movie very much, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2016
    I couldn't even watch it the whole way through, that's how terrible I found it. Seems like a film made for the fans. But if you got something out of it, that's good for you.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The character deveolpement is on the level of Germany's weekly Rosamunde Pilcher movie.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    The character deveolpement is on the level of Germany's weekly Rosamunde Pilcher movie.

I have no idea what that is, but sounds like a reasonable comparison.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. For what it's worth I did think the movie was genuinely beautiful, and if it looked a bit digital at the edges then that's defensible as a stylistic choice actually since it's based on a video game series. It was worth seeing in theaters for that alone.

But the plot and characters didn't do much for me. And the score was only okay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2016 edited
    There are very few, if any, movies based on video games that have been truly good. A couple of RESIDENT EVIL movies, that's it.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    There are very few, if any, movies based on video games that have been truly good. A couple of RESIDENT EVIL movies, that's it.

I thought Resident Evil 1 and 3 were good. Prince of Persia is one of the best movies based on a video game, even though it hardly uses anything of the game at all. You could consider Silent Hill to be the best video game representation in a movie. Now that was a film that paid homage to the game (at least in the first part)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2016 edited
    Yes, the first part of SILENT HILL was OK-ish, the rest didn't impress me. Neither did PRINCE OF PERSIA.

The first RESIDENT EVIL film was VERY good, however. I also like no. 5 and 4, in that order. The other films; those that were not directed by PWA, weren't that good. But with some moments.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Yes, the first part of SILENT HILL was OK-ish, the rest didn't impress me. Neither did PRINCE OF PERSIA.

The first RESIDENT EVIL film was VERY good, however. I also like no. 5 and 4, in that order. The other films; those that were not directed by PWA, weren't that good. But with some moments.

The Last Resident Evil film was good enough, at least it was different (with all the dead people reprising their roles) and it was visually amazing (especially the opening scene shot backwards), the rest of Anderson wasn't that great. That first one truly remains utterly scary and has a perfect build up.
  6. Actually... Mortal Kombat. It makes more sense than the games, even.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Captain Future wrote
    The character deveolpement is on the level of Germany's weekly Rosamunde Pilcher movie.

That's if you look at the obvious stuff. There are a couple of nuances easily overlooked by the sheer visual overkill, but yes, that aspect could have been better handled. That Garona stuff was going to be a tough seller, anyway. Beside that, Warcraft is always pretty big with the emotions. Nearly every personal character story in the series is pretty epic, which can easily drift into melodrama if handled carelessly. But I could see why they did what they did with Garona the second time around, and watching the deleted scenes also helped quite a bit.

On the other hand, we're talking about a storyline that spans decades (or thousands of years, if you want to consider what's actually going on there), and the movie just took the story of one of the earliest points in the franchise where it was just a strategy game with pixels as big as cell phone icons. Not much interesting character development in the game at that point, either. Just wait until we get to the story of Warcraft III, then we talk again. ^^

And yes, the movie looks stunningly beautiful at times, especially in opening shots where they introduced new locations that fans knew by heart. The transfer from the very comic-like game graphics to a semi-realistic movie world was pitch-perfect. Too much realism wouldn't have worked, at least not for the fans.

There are so many life- and loveless fanrasy adaptations out there that it's really hard-breaking to see how this movie gets smashed to pieces by most critics and a certain kind of moviegoers when you know and see how much work and love went into doing the game world and story justice.

Yes, I really enjoy this movie, and I'm far from being alone with this. Its big success in certain areas and markets is somewhat satisfying. The BluRay is selling astoundingly well, too, so there is hope yet that we'll see at least one more part of the story, even if some production details might have to change.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2016 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Actually... Mortal Kombat. It makes more sense than the games, even.

Are you kidding? Not only PWA's worst movie, but also one of the worst movies I can think of. And that includes videogame movies. Fond memories of the game, though. Didn't play it myself, but I often watched a friend play it in the Arcade or on Nintendo -- who was an expert in 'beat'em'up' like MK and STREETFIGHTER.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2016 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Last Resident Evil film was good enough, at least it was different (with all the dead people reprising their roles) and it was visually amazing (especially the opening scene shot backwards), the rest of Anderson wasn't that great. That first one truly remains utterly scary and has a perfect build up.

Well, I'm a big Anderson fan, so I may be biased. Here's my ranking of his films, btw (not including his two TV movies):

https://mubi.com/lists/paul-ws-anderson-ranked

Except for MORTAL KOMBAT and THE THREE MUSKEETERS (both of whom are crap), I think the rest are quite good. EVENT HORIZON is a severely underrated masterpiece.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Well, I'm a big Anderson fan, so I may be biased. Here's my ranking of his films, btw (not including his two TV movies):

https://mubi.com/lists/paul-ws-anderson-ranked

Except for MORTAL KOMBAT and THE THREE MUSKEETERS (both of whom are crap), I think the rest are quite good. EVENT HORIZON is a severely underrated masterpiece.

If I look at your list, I suddenly realize he did Soldier too (which wasn't that bad, a very restrained role from Kurt Russell). I liked Death Race too and Aliens vs Predator was for me a wonderful ode to Predator and Aliens. The Musketeers was fun for its duration (but rather silly) and Event Horizon is indeed a good horror movie in space.

If he can bring his visual style together with a good build up, he's rather good. But if he goes for quick thrills (such as several Resident Evil films) then he's quickly forgotten
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2016 edited
    ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES ( 1991 )

Worse than I remembered.

Hamming it up and chewing out everyone in a scene with him is a gloriously over the top Alan Rickman who is undoubtedly the only thing worth watching in this movie. Kevin Costner is bland, his 1980's Brit-pop haircut being the most interesting thing about him.

Sean Connery turns up for his pay cheque at the end.

Rubbish!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2016
    Hear, bloody hear.
    The score is absolutely fantastic though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I haven't revisited it in years, but I've always liked that film tremendously -- the only Robin Hood film that truly does justice to the source material and that isn't just just 'fluffy costumes'.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes Martijn, Kamen's score is terrific, well, except for that ruddy song.

My favourite Robin Hood remains Errol Flynn's version on film. I also love the 80's TV version with Michael 'I have a haircut that rock-chicks love' Praed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I haven't revisited it in years, but I've always liked that film tremendously -- the only Robin Hood film that truly does justice to the source material and that isn't just just 'fluffy costumes'.

Define "source material". This legend is a minefield of interpretations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    the only Robin Hood film that truly does justice to the source material and that isn't just just 'fluffy costumes'.

The sources indicate that Robin Hood was an American fighting together with a black Saracen?
    Are you drunk again?

There is absolutely nothing, NOTHING that sets this version apart from ANY other version (and I'm including the horrific comedic attempts AND the Disney version here) as far as "facts" are concerned.

Timmer wrote
    I also love the 80's TV version with Michael 'I have a haircut that rock-chicks love' Praed.

That's MY go-to version. The more mystical, pagan take and disturbingly realistic political take (the revision of the "epic fairytale" take on Lionheart's return really left me reeling at the time!) I found absolutely spellbinding.

So it didn't help that THAT was my frame of reference for the abysmally poor Prince Of Thieves travesty.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Man, that makes me want to watch the series again. I love Clannad's score too, there's a pseudo-authentic feel to it if that makes any sense? A dramatic folksy score.
  9. I have the Goldcrest series on DVD. A corner stone of my TV childhood. Love it dearly.
    Clannad's score, pre-produced and tracked into the episodes, fits the show like a glove, because is adds to the mystical, new-age-y flair (The Swords of Wayland, Herne the Hunter). This gives the Robin Hood story an air of Arthurian Legend.
    Source material, well what source material? The romantic story of Robin and Marian, cosy Sherwood Forest, the marry men and noble Richard Coeur de Lion mostly originates from rather modern times.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Man, that makes me want to watch the series again.

Me an'all!

I love Clannad's score too, there's a pseudo-authentic feel to it if that makes any sense?

Hahahaaa! I know EXACTLY what you mean!
    My dad , who hated any kind of anachronistic scoring, really liked Clannad's soundtrack to the series because "even though it was modern, it really fit so well!".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good on your dad beer biggrin

Film wise I also have a soft spot for the Sean Connery/Audrey Hepburn ROBIN AND MARIAN, a "September song" version of the legend, nothing "fluffy" about this knackers scratching Robin Hood Thor wink

It also contains my all time favourite John Barry love theme.
  10. Timmer wrote

Film wise I also have a soft spot for the Sean Connery/Audrey Hepburn ROBIN AND MARIAN, a "September song" version of the legend, nothing "fluffy" about this knackers scratching Robin Hood Thor wink

The Love Awakens
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's the one wink
  11. 1981: Excalibur (film)
    1981: Lord Of The Rings (BBC Radio)
    1982: The Mists of Avalon (novel)
    1983: Robin of Sherwood (TV)

Those years had a taste for New Age flavoured fantasy stories. Star Wars too is part of that brew.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    1981: Excalibur (film)
    1981: Lord Of The Rings (BBC Radio)
    1982: The Mists of Avalon (novel)
    1983: Robin of Sherwood (TV)

Those years had a taste for New Age flavoured fantasy stories. Star Wars too is part of that brew.

love

I liked Mists of Avalon a lot but my favourite take on the Arthurian legend is Bernard Cornwell's trilogy known as The Warlord Chronicles which I absolutely loved.

From wiki: The Warlord Chronicles ( The Winter King, Enemy of God, Excalibur )

A trilogy depicting Cornwell's historical re-creation of Arthurian Britain. The series posits that post-Roman Britain was a difficult time for the native Britons, being threatened by invasion from the Anglo-Saxons in the East and raids from the Irish in the West. At the same time, they suffered internal power struggles between their petty kingdoms and friction between the old Druidic religion and newly arrived Christianity. The author has often said that these are his own favourite stories.

Highly recommended reads if you're interested. His take on the characters is just brilliant as too is the way he weaves the myths into what could have been reality, it comes over as a very believable story.

Film wise Boorman's EXCALIBUR still remains a film I can watch time and again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What I love about Reynold's ROBIN HOOD is the prologue in Jerusalem(?), the crusades and all that, and the general photography -- lush and green, but with plenty of grit. It's taking all the ingredients of the legend, and making small mini-movies/segments out of it, much like Donner did with SUPERMAN. Costner is OK, and it has ALAN RICKMAN, for Chrissakes! And Kamen's best score ever.

I still hold it SLIGHTLY above Scott's recent ROBIN HOOD (which is my number 2), but as I said -- I haven't seen it in years. I'd be willing to give it another shot to see how it's held up. It was a TOP film for me when I first saw it, and upon repeated viewings in the 90s.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. ... and Highlander and Masters of the Universe and whatnot ... wink

I was dimly aware of Cornwell but never investigated it further. Last thing I read in that regard was The Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart. I liked it, but didn't love it.

Mist of Avalon: I devoured the whole cycle beginning with Light of Atlantis back then several times. I loved how Marion Zimmer Bradley played with the idea of resurrection. Since I became aware of the dark side of the author the books have lost some of their splendour. I just can't separate the text from the writer.

Some time further back I read The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper that probably lend some inspiration to Harry Potter. A nice adaptation of Arthurian motives to modern times.

So Cronwell ... That might be a nice read for the Christmas season.

BTW: I currently read DUNE by Frank Herbert. For the sixth time I guess. I didn't read it in years. I recently took it from the board and scanned some pages casually. An fell for it again immediately. Such richness in detail, such deepness in character development. Such great style. A monument of science fiction. The way Herbert investigates religious fanaticism as a means of politics makes this novel more relevant than ever.