• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016
    NP: BIRKEBEINERNE (Gaute Storaas)

The score tracks are uneven in quality, but it's overall a good effort. The main song is obviously excellent, as are the tracks that mirror those sentiments. The ostinato-driven action music is often a bit too non-descript.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Are you watching the film or listening to the score?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016
    Oops, wrong thread.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Captain Future wrote
    Is it just me or do you guys (and Stavroula) feel the same way?

I do. And I love comic books.
    My problem is I also like actors. I like effective pacing. I like storylines with something at stake. I like coherent visuals. And I like an element of surprise separate from what surprised me five genre entries ago. None of those things make much of an appearance these days.
    Long story short, I'll submit to genre conventions (bim bam smash) if the damn movie is well made.
  3. I forgot to mention I also like good film music. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2016
    INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE - Roland Emmerich

Wow, what a stinker. None of the self-knowing jingoistic nonsense that we loved from the original. Bland, boring and totally up it's own arse.

It's a shame Goldblum, Pullman, Hirsch, and many others(!), returned for this. Well, not for their wallets, of course, but you know...

slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Not seeing:

I considered buying Superman vs. Batman today on BR but given the bad reviews I couldn't bring myself to spend 23€ on it. I decided to wait for this film to feature on free TV.

Really I'm getting exhausted with this whole super hero avalanche. I've actually lost track of much of it. Is it just me or do you guys (and Stavroula) feel the same way?

Don't see it. You'll kill yourself with boredom (crossed with some high frustration in parts, on my behalf at least wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

Bland, boring and totally up it's own arse.

Not surprisingly. As almost every other pointless hollywood reboot-remake-sequel-prequel crap these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Bregt wrote
    SUICIDE SQUAD.

Well, we were lucky it was free! Why do all these movies end the same way? With some apocalyptic over the top finale. Bah!

That is one major reason why I speedily loose interest in the genre. The other one is the "broken hero" thing. It pretends a profundity that isn't there really. These are comic book characters for ... sake.

Haven't seen it, but from the premise, articles, reviews, posters etc, it all just feels like a movie simply made for some chick's hot pants for the 12-15 year old male boy target audience of the film to jizz on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LSH wrote

Wow, what a stinker. None of the self-knowing jingoistic nonsense that we loved from the original. Bland, boring and totally up it's own arse.

It's a shame Goldblum, Pullman, Hirsch, and many others(!), returned for this. Well, not for their wallets, of course, but you know...

slant

I wouldn't go THAT far.

I liked it a fair bit better than many of my colleagues, but I must admit I had hoped for something on the level of the original, especially after having seen the promising trailer. It was not.

I gave it three stars (out of five) on MUBI and it currently resides at a decent 33rd place of the 68 films from 2016 I've seen so far.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I'm rather indifferent about the original so I'll pass on this one altogether.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    I'm rather indifferent about the original so I'll pass on this one altogether.

Me too. Never really connected with the hype surrounding the original, which I always thought a second rate War Of The Worlds.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Penny Dreadful (Season 1)

Not completely sold yet, but I have to say it's one of the best "acted" series I've seen in a long time. Man, Eva Green does a bang up job. Episode 7 (Possession) made my jaw drop open numerous times. Wasn't that sold on the main story (aka the search for the daughter), but Eva Green's sub plot was definitely enticing. I love possessed stories smile

Definitely gonna follow this, to see if season 2 leads us somewhere
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2016
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Penny Dreadful (Season 1)

Not completely sold yet, but I have to say it's one of the best "acted" series I've seen in a long time. Man, Eva Green does a bang up job. Episode 7 (Possession) made my jaw drop open numerous times. Wasn't that sold on the main story (aka the search for the daughter), but Eva Green's sub plot was definitely enticing. I love possessed stories smile

Definitely gonna follow this, to see if season 2 leads us somewhere

I've seen the whole show, and although the ending felt a bit rushed, at least it HAD an ending. More than can be said for most shows (that I like) these days.

I wasn't hooked at first either, but then it eventually grew on me, especially once it got more focussed. Sorry to see it go.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. A shame it ended so soon. I don't believe that "always intended" bit for one second. It had at least two more seasons worth of story left, so yeah, rushed up in general certainly hits the mark, although the end in itself is well-written and doesn't feel rushed in any way.

This stands as one of the best Victorian Age-set monster mash-ups ever, with loads of intelligent, shocking, and mesmerizing content thrown in between. Thanks to the spectacular Eva Green, who so much deserved an Emmy three years in a row for this, the Vanessa-centric flashback episodes alone are worth your time, with this year's one having the feel and impact of a very well written stage play. I was a bit miffed at first that the other characters didn't get that treatment, too, but over the course of the three years, and in season three in particular, everyone's story was explored in a very satisfactory way, and the Making Of book, which is a massive pleasure all by itself, clearly states that Vanessa is the main "monster" of the show, so the strong focus on her story is forgivable, especially because of Green. Not that the rest of the cast was shy of showing strong acting skills. Geez, what a ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2016
    Agreed.

But it irked me that -- in the last season -- [spoiler]Dracula was presented as a stronger, more evil force than Satan himself[/spoiler]!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2016 edited
    [spoiler]I wouldn't necessarily assume that to be the case, more like who has a stronger influence on Vanessa. I think the truth depends on the circumstances at any given point in time and how Vanessa is leaning towards God, Faith, and all the rest. [/spoiler]
    (Still talking about Penny Dreadful)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2016
    That's true, I guess, but it just didn't sit well with me to see [spoiler]Satan presented in such a squeamish way; once you present such skewed axes of power, there are not a lot places to go and you can -- in fact -- end up minimizing the "dark mystery" that has surrounded Vanessa so far. Also, the relationship between Dracula and Satan is never properly presented; surely Dracula is the product of the same evil of which Satan is king? So if they represent Vanessa's inluences and attractions, how is one more desirable than the other? It seems to me like she tries to abandon both as she leaves the cell[/spoiler].
    I am extremely serious.
  7. [spoiler]Well, after all, Satan is nothing but a fallen angel. He has power, yes, but only over those who truly fear him. At least that's my very personal take on him. If you want to "rank" them, surely Dracula shouldn't be anything more than a lesser demon, and given that, you are right. But in the series, it all depends on what Vanessa thinks and believes, and therefore they show just a current state of her mind. The cell episode in particular is immensely subjective and all based on her personal horror fantasies.

In this series, Satan himself is more or less a concept that can be feared or not. He works mostly through servants who fully believe in his power and who therefore are powerful, or through visions which can be fought by sheer willpower. Once Vanessa's faith is strong enough, she's able to withstand him, but still has to fight his real servants. Dracula on the other hand is presented as a real person with the ability to simply kill you the moment he wants to, so yes, he's more powerful on a physical level, but I believe that's a depiction true to the whole concept of Satan and Dracula.

But I'm still reading the Making Of, and maybe I'll come back to you with more, in case there's some more info on the subject, but my bet is on the audiocommentary of the cell episode, should they do one.
    [/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2016
    Good thoughts, Ralph. Be sure to let me know if you find anything more in the "Making Of". Despite my qualms on this issue, that particular episode was quite intense in its claustrophobia.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Like all the Vanessa flashback episodes, it's like a brilliant stand-alone Twilight Zone episode, and would, even more so than its two predecessors, perfectly work as a play - if not for the obvious problem regarding its final act. ^^
  9. it looks like that I'm in for a treat when I will start with season 2 and 3 smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2016
    Penny Dreadful WAS the best show on TV!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. STAR TREK II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

No comment necessary.

Volker
  11. Captain Future wrote
    STAR TREK II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

No comment necessary.

Volker

Except maybe bada-buduhbuh-dahdaaaaaaah DAH.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016
    Captain Future wrote

No comment necessary.

Volker

It's a good film, but not a great one. Never has there been a great Star Trek film.
  12. Well, it's entertainment. It's popcorn cinema. I think there have been a number of decent films that were intelligent and entertaining enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote

No comment necessary.

Volker

It's a good film, but not a great one. Never has there been a great Star Trek film.

Agreed. I've always considered STAR TREK rather nonsense and camp in any incarnation. But I do love the approach taken by the first film, esp. in relation to tempo and reliance on audiovisual setpieces.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. There have always been some serious issues addressed within that nonsense and camp (Which btw is all over science fiction), especially when the basic concept of Gene Roddenberry was honoured. You, Thor, the master of digging up hidden layers of meaning and style in Hollywood summer blockbusters, should see that. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Meh. The big problem with STAR TREK is that it tries to present some serious philosophical issues, but is continually countered by the camp and kitch of the staging; i.e. what I somewhat derogatorily call "pointy ear sci fi". Then I'd rather take STAR WARS, which is a more celebratory way of "pointy ear sci fi" (more fantasy, myth, Wagner).
    I am extremely serious.