• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2016 edited
    The film is OK as a popcorn potboiler, but really betrays a lot of what did the preceding three movies so great. This feeling was sadly cemented when I -- like you -- rewatched the film a few months back. I really, really wanted to like it, as I had been starved for more JP for 14 years! As such, it was a big disappointment to me, since I have such a close relationship to the original three (and especially the first, of course).

The score was rather abysmal, IMO, but I loved the appearance of the JW themes, hokey or not.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Jurassic World (2015)

Who would ask for more?

I did, and with low expectations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2016
    It's a standard and pretty much ok popcorn flick but nowhere even near the originals' grandeur.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I loved it. The end fight scene is particularly well done, especially with Giacchino's score (with a nod to The Lost World).

My favourite sequel to a second reboot to a franchise in recent years is Dawn of The Planet of The Long Titled Films. Can't wait for the next one.
  2. I love the score but found the film to be too much of a remake of the first film. Same as Star Wars TFA.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A "soft reboot". Some see it as derivative, others see it has going back to its roots. I'm fine with it, as long as the film is good.
  3. Monster flicks aren't easily made into franchises because you're basically always telling the same story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    I think MI 3-5 are all solid films. I enjoyed this most recent one best, though. At first I thought only the original topped it, but then I rewatched the original. How long has it been since you all have seen that one?

I saw it recently and think it's superb. Best M:I film and best M:I score by a country mile!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. I never had that relationship with Jurassic Park where I saw it as one of those absolute highlights of all my moviegoing experiences. Of course it's a brilliant story concept, but basically it's Westworld with dinos. tongue It follows along some pretty standard catastrophe movie clichés and has some of the most annoying kids in film history (topped by the pair of brothers in Jurassic World, of course ^^). It doesn't even have the best thrill sequence in the whole series. That's obviously the "cliffhanger" scene from Lost World.

That said, it is, of course, a very entertaining movie, but it's not one bit less popcorny than Jurassic World.

The only thing that JP has really going for it is the first incredibly successful use of creature CGI. That's what's most impressing about it and what left everyone speechless. It inspired a level of fear previously unknown for artificial creatures in movies, but mostly because you simply didn't expect it to be that scary, if you hadn't read the book. It has some pretty solid horror/action sequences with lots of pretty annoying stuff inbetween.

And now, get those pitchforks coming. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016
    You're too young, Ralph! You needed to have been there at the time.

The thing that makes the first JP so great is the great dynamic, the constant movement -- like waves on a shore -- between kinetic action sequences on one hand, relieved by mood-driven, envelopping, visceral scenes on the other (sometimes into awe and wonder).

Whenever WORLD attempted some of the latter, it was quickly engulfed by some insane action piece (devoid of much cleverness, btw, and filled to the brink with technology and cheese).

Both films are highly entertaining, yes, but you'll have to include some other parameteres, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. After two decades of CGI and PlayStation the 1993 concept wouldn't work any more at the box office.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    After two decades of CGI and PlayStation the 1993 concept wouldn't work any more at the box office.

That may sadly be true.

Although the recent, "retro" JASON BOURNE movie shows that there is still excellence to be found in more mechanical action fare.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    The thing that makes the first JP so great is the great dynamic, the constant movement -- like waves on a shore -- between kinetic action sequences on one hand, relieved by mood-driven, envelopping, visceral scenes on the other (sometimes into awe and wonder).

What made Jurassic Park great...

DINOSAURS

End of.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Dinosaurs, shminosaurs....
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I remember you had some strange views regarding Dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, something about it would've still been great without the Dinosaurs....I'm scared to ask.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I remember you had some strange views regarding Dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, something about it would've still been great without the Dinosaurs....I'm scared to ask.

Something like that, yeah. I'm "normally" interested in dinosaurs (not on your level or others here), but they're not even remotely what made the first JP great to me. Could actually have been any other kind of creature.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    *sigh*
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016 edited
    Thor...

I was 24 when I saw JP on my favourite, massive theatre screen, right there on premiere night in 1993.

It was seven years after I watched Aliens from a similar spot, and I promise you, that movie rocked a million times more, without CGI creatures, while having the exact same structure you're praising JP for. Yeah, it doesn't have dinos, but who needs dinos if you have an Alien Queen...?

But I guess you're too young to have been there.

biggrin

No, of course I'm aware of the cultural & technical impact and importance of JP, and dinosaurs being such a massive turn on for lots of kids, I can only imagine how great it must have been to watch it as a dino-loving kid. So, there you go.

beer

But looking at JP and JW from a similar perspective, I wouldn't say JW is so much worse than the original, which has one thing in particular going for it: It is the original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry, Ralph, I wasn't aware you were so old. I think I must have confused you with Edmund for some reason.

In either case, the argument stands. The original film cannot be "reduced" to just its entertainment value or as appealing to "dino-loving kids" (I was not one, for example). It has many more layers than that. WORLD just felt like a betrayal on so many levels.

Btw, while I didn't see ALIENS in the theatre, I saw it on VHS as soon as it came out about a year or two later. You just mentioned the other film that might rival my love of JP as alltime favourites.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Ralph Kruhm wrote

I was 24 when I saw JP on my favourite, massive theatre screen, right there on premier night in 1993.

I was 22. I saw it in the old fashioned county town cinema with one hall only. It had a giant screen and the charming interieur of the late 1950s. They had additional seats crammed in there. The place was so packed it was almost scary.
    Today the very building is gone and a modern multiplex has taken its place.
    The visuals of the film were breathtaking. The story itself I found rather conventional even back then. I remember fantasying about the children being eaten. What I impressed me most was the scene with the children trapped with the raptors towards the end of the film. A classic example of suspense. Masterfully orchestrated.
    And of course the score by JW! The main theme became a chart hit in Germany.

Volker
  7. Thor wrote
    Sorry, Ralph, I wasn't aware you were so old.
    I saw what you did there. tongue

In either case, the argument stands. The original film cannot be "reduced" to just its entertainment value or as appealing to "dino-loving kids" (I was not one, for example). It has many more layers than that.
    Then I must have missed them completely. ^^

WORLD just felt like a betrayal on so many levels.
    Which is exactly how it should feel, and you get why it's a good flick on its own accord. It took the original and took away any dignity the original park (and movie) had by constructing dinos (and characters and scenes) that are mutations of the originals. The film mirrors its story. And the only one who gets that is that technician in the control center. I nearly expected him to break the fourth wall and talk to the audience at one point. I find this pretty entertaining.

Btw, while I didn't see ALIENS in the theatre, I saw it on VHS as soon as it came out about a year or two later. You just mentioned the other film that might rival my love of JP as alltime favourites.
    You are thereby redeemed of everything you ever said. ^^

Captain Future wrote
    I was 22. I saw it in the old fashioned county town cinema with one hall only. It had a giant screen and the charming interieur of the late 1950s. They had additional seats crammed in there. The place was so packed it was almost scary.
    Oh yeah. I remember the masses.

Today the very building is gone and a modern multiplex has taken its place.
    sad

The visuals of the film were breathtaking.
    There is no denial there.

The story itself I found rather conventional even back then.
    Bingo. I've got no idea whether the book is better or not to that regard.

I remember fantasying about the children being eaten. What I impressed me most was the scene with the children trapped with the raptors towards the end of the film. A classic example of suspense. Masterfully orchestrated.
    Indeed. A great scene.

And of course the score by JW! The main theme became a chart hit in Germany.
    It did? I never noticed. Nevertheless, I played the three or four tracks with the two themes by far more often than the rest of the CD. ^^ Still one of the most beautiful themes he's written.
  8. Just for the Aliens lovers out there: If you haven't already, watch the BluRay. The picture quality is unbelievably good.
  9. I can't find exact information but I do remember that the theme from Jurassic Park was released as a single and it did enter the German top 100. I seem to remember they played it on the radio in one of those chart shows. That would mean it entered the top 25 ranks. Or else I'm making this all up. dizzy
  10. *g* It's hard to imagine, given how soundtrack-phobic radiostations are, usually (Klassik Radio being the obvious exception). But if you say it happened, I'll welcome the news. smile
  11. Star Trek Beyond

No spoilers.
    I loved the score. I liked the chemistry between the lead actors. Some entertaining stuff regarding Spock and Bones, some really nice dialogue. Some great eye candy for connoisseurs of space opera flicks. The story borrows from previous Trek films but not as heavily as the last one. I found the motivation of the villain totally underdeveloped and thus was disappointed with the climax.

smile Volker
  12. Not seeing:

I considered buying Superman vs. Batman today on BR but given the bad reviews I couldn't bring myself to spend 23€ on it. I decided to wait for this film to feature on free TV.

Really I'm getting exhausted with this whole super hero avalanche. I've actually lost track of much of it. Is it just me or do you guys (and Stavroula) feel the same way?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Not seeing:

I considered buying Superman vs. Batman today on BR but given the bad reviews I couldn't bring myself to spend 23€ on it. I decided to wait for this film to feature on free TV.

Really I'm getting exhausted with this whole super hero avalanche. I've actually lost track of much of it. Is it just me or do you guys (and Stavroula) feel the same way?

I feel the same way, but then again I've never really been a 'superhero' kind of guy, not even when I was a kid. I preferred other types of comic books.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016
    SUICIDE SQUAD.

By accident. My brother won tickets and as such we went to see this film.

Well, we were lucky it was free! Why do all these movies end the same way? With some apocalyptic over the top finale. Bah!
    Kazoo
  13. Bregt wrote
    SUICIDE SQUAD.

Well, we were lucky it was free! Why do all these movies end the same way? With some apocalyptic over the top finale. Bah!

That is one major reason why I speedily loose interest in the genre. The other one is the "broken hero" thing. It pretends a profundity that isn't there really. These are comic book characters for ... sake.