• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2016
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Red Desert

Was resistant at first, but Antonioni's craft won me over. The sound effects and atmosphere reminded me of Lynch -- wasn't excepting that. Antonioni is a blind spot for me. I'll be checking out more of his work now though. This was a masterful film.

Great film, but not my favourite. Antonioni is one of my favourite directors, and I've managed to see all his films. There's stuff I like, and stuff I don't like. But it's always interesting to see a director's evolution -- from the genre fare he did prior to L'AVVENTURA, and then the more experimental/visually interesting things he did from that film onwards.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Captain Future wrote
    STAR TREK The Motion Picture (1979)

The theatrical cut. First view on Blu Ray. Still my all time favourite Trek film. I savoured every minute. A feast of music, imagery, imagination and philosophy.

smile Volker

I prefer Star Trek II for many reasons, but TMP will always be the most beautiful to look at and to listen to, and for premiering the most beautiful version of the Old Lady.
  2. Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Now You See Me

I don't have much film-viewing time these days and am very sad that I wasted some of it by watching this load of old rubbish.

It's awful. Dunning–Kruger: The Movie.

It's rubbish, but at least it's rubbish with a good cast and a fun score...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2016
    Southall wrote
    Now You See Me

I don't have much film-viewing time these days and am very sad that I wasted some of it by watching this load of old rubbish.

It's unwatchable crap. Also caught it the other day at the tv one lazy afternoon that i had nothing to do for a couple of hours and sadly sat through it. Even the score is buried and can't be enjoyed in this load of bull. i imagine the sequel can only be as bad (at least).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Southall wrote
    Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

This is also somewhat daft but clearly much better in every way. Easily the best since the first one.

Up until the motorcycle chase it was very good fun, the finale however is a bit looooooong. My favorite remains the third though. What a thrill ride. smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2016
    Third was indeed the best. Score included too.
  4. I seem to recall that James absolutely loathes the third, for reasons that are not entirely clear to me.
  5. To me part three has huge tone issues. It's an MI film and it's a bit gloomy, the hand-held style isn't quite correct for the franchise as well (because Tom Cruise being a kinda James Bond definitely needs to top Bourne in visual style) and the cold colors is also a bit of a question mark to me?

Score-wise, I think... First, it was too close to comfort and basically I didn't find the full orchestra twist on Lost, which M:I-III essentially is outside of the great thematic use (the Rome scenes!) that interesting, especially that the series was still produced at the time... and I think parts IV and V translate themselves better to album. The album did grow on me, though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. I think MI 3-5 are all solid films. I enjoyed this most recent one best, though. At first I thought only the original topped it, but then I rewatched the original. How long has it been since you all have seen that one? It didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. It's still fun, but I now think the last three are better. The less said about the second film, the better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2016
    Batman vs Superman: dawn of justice

What an utter load of bullshit. A badly-made, extremely long, video-game sequence, with no plot whatsoever, useless characters that aimlessly wonder around with no motivations or meaning, endless Zack Snyder mumbling around, pointless dramatic music 100% of the duration, an utter disaster. Want those 2 hours of my life back. Score is very enjoyable on disc for me at least, esp. the slower dramatic elements from man of steel, but in the movie it's just constant babble and the Junkie XL's loud passages are just painful noise to my ears. There's absolutely not a slightest comparison than can be made between Nolan's epics and this absolutely ridiculous junk of a film. And i am sure there will be more, it's the times we live in. p.s. While Affleck is laughable as the batman, still i find he's no more of a joke than the rest of the cast and characters in this mess anyway. Avoid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Needless to say it's worse than AIDS, but I did like Affleck as Batman. Probably the best looking screen-version of Batman I've ever seen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    but I did like Affleck as Batman. Probably the best looking screen-version of Batman I've ever seen.

yeah

I really enjoyed the film, at least up until the crappy ending with all the Doomsday nonsense.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2016
    I hated Affleck as Batman. Looks ridiculous with the constant kill me now mood on his face and that weird trademarked thing he does with his mouth even when he's not talking. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2016 edited
    I liked him better than Christian Bale, who, lets be honest, only made one good Batman film ( The Dark Knight ), the other two Nolan Bat films are pants.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. What was wrong with Batman Begins?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2016
    Godzilla (2014)

Despite its flaws, of which there are a few, I still love this as much as when I first saw it. What it gets right supersedes its flaws. Godzilla is used sparingly, an aspect that seems to have garnered some criticism. But I see it as monster-movie-making 101: show him only when you need to. And when he's on screen, you really feel his weight (as it were).

As for the score. Well, Desplat will have to create something quite special with his next project with this director to top this. Given that it's Star Wars, my hopes are high.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2016
    The film is brilliant. The score is pants.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. It's not pants. You may not like it, but it's a very well-composed score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2016
    yeah

There are many other Desplat scores I like more but Godzilla is a fine score. I'm looking forward to hearing Rogue One.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can't think of a single Desplat score that tops Godzilla. Rogue One will have to be very special to even match it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2016 edited
    I can't think of single Desplat score I like, period. Maybe THE GHOST WRITER, but that's only because there's so little of it.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Steve Jobs

Well-acted ensemble film with an interesting narrative structure and, much to my surprise and enjoyment, a living, breathing performance from Michael Fassbender. But the ending strives for an unconvincing, emotional high note that seems pasted in from a different film entirely.

Taste of Cherry

Kiarostami is a blind spot for me, but I hope to catch up on his work. This was my first film of his, and what a strange, surprising experience. What I enjoyed most was how funny it was. Morbid and quiet, but still funny.

Knight of Cups

Pretty visually. But the more I think about it, the less I like it. Sure, the story is Christian Bale's memories, which I suppose explains why Christian Bale doesn't do anything and why the women are often anonymous and naked. But surely the same mindlessness can't excuse Malick's authorship. I thought the film played like a parody of Malick. His touches (twirling on the beach, rolling on the ground, wandering in the desert) are becoming cliche and obvious. One of his weakest, in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I can't think of a single Desplat score that tops Godzilla. Rogue One will have to be very special to even match it...

Godzilla is amazing. Rough and powerful.
  10. Ghostbusters (1984)

This is Star Wars league. This really is. One of those rare flicks where everything came together. One of my most enduring favourites.
    I hear the feminine remake isn't actually that bad. (Is Gozer a boy this time?) Anyway, it just cannot be nearly as good as this sublime film. One of the funniest and most original concepts ever.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2016
    It's a hair's breadth away from perfection. The biggest reason I'm not interested in the new one (well, apart from the fact that it looks awful and has a political agenda to boot) is how they've made the Ghosbusters into badass action heroes. They were never badass, they were losers who became heroes accidentally. That's why we love those characters. But this new one just looks... wrong.
  11. If only they had animated those dogs properly. On the other hand even that campiness adds to the fun.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  12. Fantastic Four (2015)

Not as bad as I thought it would be after what I'd heard, but far from being really good. If what they say is true and FOX cut major action sequences from shooting, as well as cutting down the whole thing by at least half an hour, I get that it must have been hard to edit something worthwhile from it. Given the circumstances, we get a pretty decent origin story, though void of any attempt to make the characters audience-friendly, which is a bad thing for the movie, but an interesting choice nevertheless. You really get that we're basically looking at science geeks doing what they do best, which is inventing shit while being completely inapt to build social relationships. Interesting, indeed. And desastrous for a superhero-team-movie. The five-minute-showdown is barely enough to satisfy the audience, and there you go - flop. I would LOVE to see this team coming together in a real crisis, their inaptitude to deal with each other being shred to pieces by a crucible so terrifying they will actually start expressing emotions at some point. That would be fun to watch.

The score, however, was very supportive and did its best, but not enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2016
    Me, I'm just utterly amazed how they KEEP on failing to makea decent movie villain out of the iconic Doctor Doom.
    How hard is it to get that right?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2016
    Martijn wrote
    Me, I'm just utterly amazed how they KEEP on failing to makea decent movie villain out of the iconic Doctor Doom.
    How hard is it to get that right?

yeah

1. Don't mess with Jack Kirby's vision.
    2. Get an actor who's got bags of wicked charisma.
    3. Make a good FF film fer cripes sake!
  13. Jurassic World (2015)

Even better on second viewing, one year later. So it wasn't just the nostalgia factor, then. This really is a decent Jurassic Park sequel, including a couple of iconic moments, too. Who would ask for more?

Watching the short Making Ofs, it's fun to see how much was actually done with stunts, especially regarding to people being picked up from the ground and thrown around. Katie McGrath has balls, for sure. And I'm still amazed that Bryce really did that high heels run, though you can see she rehearsed the scene with soft shoes.

The score is more than sufficient. Giacchino was obviously born to do it. Using the old themes while writing a new and beautiful theme for the new park that fits to the overall thematic palette isn't easy, but he did it nevertheless.