• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Star Wars and Star Trek have little more in common than outer space. The former is science fantasy (if science at all) the latter hard science fiction.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Star Wars and Star Trek have little more in common than outer space. The former is science fantasy (if science at all) the latter hard science fiction.

They're both "pointy ear sci fi", but as I said, the 'hardness' of ST is continually undermined by the camp. At least IMO. Either go all-out serious or all-out 'fantasy'/space opera.

I do like BABYLON 5, though, which is a bit of an oxymoron. I don't know why. It's basically the same as STAR TREK in its conceptualization. DR. WHO too. Maybe because it's darker in tone.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Was Deep Space Nine more up your alley? Or re-envisioned Battlestar Galactica?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Was Deep Space Nine more up your alley? Or re-envisioned Battlestar Galactica?

DEEP SPACE NINE, no. But yes -- definitely the new BATTLESTAR: GALACTICA, one of the best sci fi shows of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Doctor Who is a thousand times campier than Star Trek! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Doctor Who is a thousand times campier than Star Trek! dizzy

Not really, but at least it KNOWS it is.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. It is all right not to like Trek, but to say that episodes like

- The City on the Edge of Forever
    - Mirror Mirror
    - Measure of a Man
    - Space Seed
    - All Good Things
    - The Best of Both Worlds
    - Sarek
    - Amok Time
    - Unification

to name but a few at random were done by people who were not entirely clear about what they were doing is simply unfair. Those episodes rank among the very best that has ever been done in serial TV science fiction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016
    I saw my first episodes of the original series just a few years ago -- including many of those you mention. And I'm sorry to say they didn't impress me much. Here are some thoughts I had at the time:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0
    I am extremely serious.
  5. "Conspiracy" (2001 TV movie)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266425/combined

A mostly real-time performance of a secret NAZI gathering where the question of what to do with the Jews, was discussed amongst high-ranking officials. This really happened.

I think these videos give you a good idea of the film:

The opening:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3up5SZBZdY

A scene:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKwvA8ns9wo

The film features no music (except one classical piece), not even a closing and/or opening score cue.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Game of Thrones "Season 3"

Wow, just wow. I always seem to struggle during the first couple of episodes. Like it needs a bit of warming up. But the more the season grows, the more the characters form bonds or plot schemes, it tends to become better. And episode 9 left me breathless. I didn't expect the killing of some major characters there sad . Plus the unusual bonds between several characters show an incredibly interesting development.

I know I'm just at season 3 and there will be undoubtedly much yet to happen, but I love how it progresses. punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Just saw Jeff Nichols's MIDNIGHT SPECIAL. This guy knows how to make a movie. It's utterly fascinating from beginning to end, totally unpredictable, totally original, and convinced me, even more than his last film, MUD, that Nichols is a director to watch. It wouldn't surprise me if his career takes a similar path to that of Chris Nolan. You all need to see this film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2016
    Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    STAR TREK II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

No comment necessary.

Volker

It's a good film, but not a great one. Never has there been a great Star Trek film.

I missed this. Couldn't disagree with you more. Star Trek II is an outstanding film. But I think we've argued about this all before.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2016
    It's an extremely solid film, and it's picked up a cult-like status since its release -in no small part due to Ricardo Montalbán's performance- but it doesn't have the same impact as something like The Empire Strikes Back. They're very good (well, a couple of them are), and it certainly helps to love the world of Trek, but even Khan, the film that's often heralded as Star Trek's best, never really reaches 5 star level. It's schlock. To call any of the Trek films "great", in the '5 star classics' sense, is to deny reality.

And there's a reason they never achieved what Star Wars did: Star Trek dealt with ethics, which was well suited in episodic form, and that never translated well (and was rarely put into action) in the films. The films could never really recreate everything that made Star Trek so successful in the first place. Sure, there was plenty of action and personal drama in the episodes, and the films covered all that, but they were never able to recreate the whole ethos of Star Trek, namely the moral questions. And when it did, it mostly left audiences bored, confused or frustrated.

Star Trek wins as a TV show, and Star Wars wins as films. I say this as a die hard fan of both franchises, and even a die hard fan of the Trek films. I love watching the old Kirk films. But I can take off my Trek hat and don my critic's cap and look at it objectively.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Trek's II & III ( yeah so shoot me ) FTW! I guess my critics hat just won't fit, I fooking love em.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    christopher wrote
    Just saw Jeff Nichols's MIDNIGHT SPECIAL. This guy knows how to make a movie. It's utterly fascinating from beginning to end, totally unpredictable, totally original, and convinced me, even more than his last film, MUD, that Nichols is a director to watch. It wouldn't surprise me if his career takes a similar path to that of Chris Nolan. You all need to see this film.

I thoroughly enjoyed this too. Nichols is a talented writer/director. Also, Michael Shannon is quickly becoming one of my favourite actors.
  8. Shannon is good in everything I've seen him in. He can exude a great deal of menace and still manage to be very simpathetic. Nichols wanted him for his first film, SHOTGUN STORIES, and one of his film school professors was able to arrange a meeting. Shannon said that his agent was against him working with any first-time director, but he said he could tell that Nichols knew what he was doing. The film was made for just $250,000, and Shannon worked for free. He's been in every one of Nichols' films since (the 5th will be out soon, and will again feature Michael Shannon). I wish Nichols was more widely known. He deserves a bigger audience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Trek's II & III ( yeah so shoot me ) FTW! I guess my critics hat just won't fit, I fooking love em.

So do I. But do you really think either of those films (especially III) deserves 5 stars? I love them for almost everything aside from the the film making aspect; i.e. the characters, the special effects, the music and the nostalgia. They're competently made, but not expertly crafted. They have not aged nearly as well as something like The Empire Strikes Back, because that's a much better film.
  9. Due to it being fantasy in the guise of a space opera Star Wars has a broader fan base then Star Trek. Trek is much more connected to the traditional SiFi genre. Therefore the original Star Wars Trilogy has more impact in today's popular culture than the Trek films made during the same years. I believe it also has to do with the fact that Star Wars is telling an ongoing story whereas the Trek films generally don't.
    I would very much question that Empire Strikes Back, from an cinematic point of view, is superior to Wrath of Khan and venture to argue to the contrary. The list of cinematic shortcomings of the original Star Wars films extends from here to the moon. Not that that would ever have bothered me. I simply don't perceive those films that way.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    The list of cinematic shortcomings of the original Star Wars films extends from here to the moon.

Star Wars and especially Return of the Jedi, sure. But Empire? Nope. Blows Wrath of Khan out of the Mutara Nebula.
  10. So, how long did it take them to get from Hoth to Bespin without FTL abilities. And don't tell me about any slow backup hyper drive that no one talked about in 1980. And how much time did Luke actually spend on Dagobah?

(I know this has already been debated ad nauseam.) smile
  11. That's a cinematic shortcoming? I mean, we are talking about the quality and craft of the visuals themselves, not the logic of the storytelling.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  12. Very few films of this type stand up to logic (or factual accuracy) scrutiny.

I was watching the celebratory 30th anniversary episode of Casualty (a hospital-based drama) after not having watched it for over 20 years and the 'artistic licence' with the medical procedures was quite marked*. But, if it had been accurate then the drama would have been much diminished I would imagine.

*As a college lecturer, Anne has to be involved with the general well-being of the students as well as teaching them. As part of this the college brings in medical staff from the emergency services who give the students a talk on 'real world' consequences of things like drink-driving. In Casualty, there's a situation where a car is forced off the road and crashes down a steep drop at the side of the road. The car end upside down but one (or more) occupants are thrown from the car and the injured are taken back to hospital. Anne was telling me that one of the medical staff giving the talk had said that, in all of his 20 years experience as a responder to 999 calls, he has seen a 100% fatality rate when someone has been ejected from a car during an accident. But, if there had been medical accuracy in the show then the possibilities for dramatic scenes would have been much reduced.

(Also, advice to anyone as a front passenger in a car...don't ever put your feet up on the dashboard where there is a passenger airbag. The consequences for the passenger if the car is in an accident and the airbag deploys are horrific.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    So, how long did it take them to get from Hoth to Bespin without FTL abilities. And don't tell me about any slow backup hyper drive that no one talked about in 1980. And how much time did Luke actually spend on Dagobah?

(I know this has already been debated ad nauseam.) smile

Those are plot holes. A great film can be riddled with illogicalities and still be well-made.

Goodness. Who cares about how long it took Luke to get from planet A to planet B!? That's rather missing the point of Star Wars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I was watching the celebratory 30th anniversary episode of Casualty (a hospital-based drama) after not having watched it for over 20 years and the 'artistic licence' with the medical procedures was quite marked*. But, if it had been accurate then the drama would have been much diminished I would imagine.

When they do attempt accuracy, namely "24hrs in A&E" on 4, they go full-manipulation with emotions. The way it's shot, edited and the music culminates to make trash TV appear classy. It isn't.
  13. Steven wrote

Goodness. Who cares about how long it took Luke to get from planet A to planet B!? That's rather missing the point of Star Wars.

As I said, it doesn't bother me at all. cylon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Then why bring it up, you nincompoop.
  14. Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

When they do attempt accuracy, namely "24hrs in A&E" on 4, they go full-manipulation with emotions. The way it's shot, edited and the music culminates to make trash TV appear classy. It isn't.

That's very true. I've noticed of the last few years that these documentaries are becoming more docu-dramas. The way they show the endings - where we see the end result of the patients' experiences - the music goes all doom-and-gloom and there's a sense of foreboding but then we see that (for example) Jon has managed to keep all his limbs after all and the music goes all happy. Sometimes it's such a disappointment!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Yes, exactly. I've watched it with my housemates, all of whom fall for the director's nonsense. They think I'm a psychopath for not welling up about little Timmy's broken arm.
  15. Steven wrote
    Then why bring it up, you nincompoop.

Who is the more foolish, the fool or the fool who ... oh... shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    biggrin

Yes, exactly. I've watched it with my housemates, all of whom fall for the director's nonsense. They think I'm a psychopath for not welling up about little Timmy's broken arm.

If you were sat amongst my friends and I nobody would notice, we're all psychos. We watched the X-Factor last night where the manipulation is predictable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt