• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2013 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Steven wrote
    I love it! It's short, sweet and it's Newman doing what Newman does so well.

It pleasantly drifted by me without leaving a trace.

So, what he does well is drift by without leaving a lastin impression...

wink

Ahem.

Timmer wrote
    My thoughts exactly. It pleasantly drifted by me without leaving a trace.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2013
    NP : KONIG DER LETZTEN TAGE ( KING OF THE LAST DAYS ) - Wojciech Kilar

Fabulous music, thematic and inspiring. I love it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Outstanding, just outstanding!
    The owner of a soundtrack store in Hamburg once told me that this score never sold out and remaining stock had to be destroyed.
    Today that album is offered for rediculous prices.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Unbelievable! It's such a good score! Right up there amongst my favorite scores!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tai-Pan - Maurice Jarre

This is phenomenal. Potent, powerful, colourful orchestral might. One of Jarre's best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2013
    I see you're in a Jarre mood then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  2. I wish I loved jarre as much as southall. (Every man has something worth envying.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Tai-Pan - Maurice Jarre

This is phenomenal. Potent, powerful, colourful orchestral might. One of Jarre's best.

My all time fav Jarre score just ahead of Lawrence by a hair.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    I wish I loved jarre as much as southall. (Every man has something worth envying.)

I don't love all that much by him, to be honest, but there's a bunch of his scores I really do love - Lawrence, The Man Who Would Be King, Passage to India, Tai-Pan, Sunshine. A few more probably that I've forgotten. Otherwise he's more a "compilation guy" - lots of great themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Keep his synths away from me. At all times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Keep his synths away from me. At all times.

Absolutely. They're dreadful (except JACOB'S LADDER). Interesting that his son -- vice versa -- is such a master of the idiom.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I said earlier that my enjoyment of Desolation of Smaug was more cerebral than actual musical pleasure; well, now that I am a bit more familiar with the themes and structure of the score, that has changed, I'm now loving the music as well. I feel that music like this needs to be given a chance to let its flower unfold before your ears over the course of multiple listens. But I understand most don't have the time or patience for that.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Jerry Goldsmith - Rudy

Kudos to Varese Sarabande for putting their output on Spotify. I got to Premium, because I got my job back, so I will explore much more of music that way. I will also get the original CD quite soon, as long as I get my salary for this month, actually.

This is a beautiful score, which I've known for years, but watching the movie made me give it even more respect. Even if it gets big, the exercise in restraint this score has and how Goldsmith assuredly controls the intensity of the music (which, in film, is very carefully spotted as well), tells loads about how much the project meant to him.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. I remember Goldsmith stating in and interview he liked scoring films like "Rudy" (he didn't care for writing action material), and was hoping for another. Too bad he passed before getting that chance on "The Game of their Lives".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Sport films are the ultimate feel-good material, I can imagine why he loved instilling that in the audience. A cue like The Final Game is a definite cure for depression, for sure smile .

Goldsmith left Game of Their Lives some time before he died, because of his health, he wasn't attached to it anymore when he passed away.
  6. NP: QB VII - Jerry Goldsmith
    Complete re-recording on Prometheus

This is a beautiful recording! This score stands eye to eye with scores like Schindler's List or Exodus. The crown jewel of this score of course is "A Kaddish for the Six Million". James Fitzpatrick recorded the concert suite of this score some years ago. If you compare the center piece "A Kaddish for the Six Millions", the suite version is a bit slower and the organ mixed more prominently up front. That makes the the suite version the more epic one. I am not familiar with Goldsmith's original recording of the piece. (Or recordings? I'm not sure if the LP were re-recordings.) So there is no comparison.
    Be that as ist may, I am happy that Tadlow/Prometheus have resumed their recording activities just when I thought that such productions were a thing of the past.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Be that as ist may, I am happy that Tadlow/Prometheus have resumed their recording activities just when I thought that such productions were a thing of the past.

Volker

Actually, they announced while (or after) recording HOUR OF THE GUN that they would be continuing their re-recording series by re-recording Goldsmith scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: 47 Ronin - Ilan Eshkeri

Oooooooh, this is fun! And who here doesn't like another score recorded by the great Steve McLaughlin.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I got to track 12 and gave up with that one. Does it get better in the second half? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's mindless fun! It's not great but I've been listening to Christmas music for the past week so I needed something like this, i guess. It sort of reminds me of White House Down. Nothing great but entertaining enough to get me through the work I'm doing right now.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Funny... Eshkeri's "The Witch Dragon" contains "Smaug's Theme" from The Hobbit. Shameless!

-Erik-
  7. I certainly hope it's better than White House Down. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2013
    Scribe wrote
    NP-FFT*: Planet Ocean - Armand Amar

I'm getting so used to the Brian Tyler school of album production where all the highlights are stuffed in the first 5-10 tracks, that I was pleasantly surprised to find "The Ocean Is Not Infinite" be so gorgeous after 8 more meandering tracks at the beginning of the album. I wonder what other wonders are in store...

(*this is now my official lazy designation of "for the first time")

Armand Amar is one of the most oustanding composers we have in the genre, this score is so exotic and beautiful, like most of Amar's work, although more uplifting than his usual darker tone. Loved the score, every single cue is one small highlight.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I wish I loved jarre as much as southall. (Every man has something worth envying.)

I don't love all that much by him, to be honest, but there's a bunch of his scores I really do love - Lawrence, The Man Who Would Be King, Passage to India, Tai-Pan, Sunshine. A few more probably that I've forgotten. Otherwise he's more a "compilation guy" - lots of great themes.

Can't get into Jarre's music at all, except for the exceptional Jesus of Nazareth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Cosmopolis (Howard Shore & Muse)

A project that invites extremes. It's both the worst film I've seen in some years (deliberate alienation has the intended effect), and the best Howard Shore score I've heard in some years (both in film context, and away from it). I await the firing squad for the latter view.

I haven't heard it but I looked it up and it's on Spotify so I'm going to give it a listen later.

Spotify was how I got addicted to it. Skip the songs first time round if they get in the way. (Although I've come to like them too.)

I like Muse.

Actually, the band is Metric, not Muse smile .

If it was Muse, at least that score would have a couple of listenable cues in it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    Just finished JOYEUX NOEL by Philippe Rombi.

This is a really lovely score. Not to mention very seasonally appropriate. There is not a better Christmas-themed score in my collection.

NP: LADIES IN LAVENDER - Nigel Hess.

I wish this man would score another film. And get Joshua Bell to play again. This score is so gorgeous, and Bell is just fantastic.

Woah, two of my all-time favorite scores here, both are absolutely gorgeous. Especially MERRY CHRISTMAS which is Rombi's finest score to date, and contains some breathtaking cues. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdcTvTskqts
  8. NP: Contact (1996) - Alan Silvestri

This CD arrived today. Fitting as there is some Christian mythology present in this film. I long had the Silva Screen re-recording of the end titles suite and it's fine to have the entire score now. In my books this one is among the finest scores Silvestri has written.

Volker
  9. "Back to the Future"

The 2CD deluxe Intrada edition. I selected cues and pieces of cues for suite arrangement(s) and am currently in the process of making the first suite. I don't always have the time to sit through the entire score, let alone the original writings on the second CD, so this would be very helpful for me when time is short and I just want to get to the twinkly parts, the heroic theme, and the plucky Marty, my fucking time experiement has gone fucking crazy!!! romp stuff.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Hugo Friedhofer - The Best Years of Our Lives

My first listen to this score, I found it on Spotify.