• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2013
    Bregje wrote
    I love the grail theme love

Hey, is there a Best scores of 2013 topic? I can't find it.
    I got a 15,- iTunes coupon and need to decide which one to get.
    wink

Nothing to stop you doing a Best of 2013 thread Bregje. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2013
    There isn't one yet?? OK smile
  1. NP Battlestar Galactia (Saga of a Star World) - Stu Phillips
    Rerecording on Varese Sarabande.

This is one of my all time favourite scores. I believe it is the only one I bought four times.
    - The LP Master on ther German Edel label.
    - The same material remastered on Geffen.
    - The presentation of the OST on Intrada.
    - The rerecording on VS.

Fond memories every time.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2014
    I'm with you there Captain. I've always loved Stu Phillips' Battlestar. From the old LP from the late seventies to the complete Intrada release. I believe I have just about every release relating to Battlestar (both old and new) but the original "Saga of a Star World" score is the pinnacle! "Launch when ready!".
    Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Grand Piano - Victor Reyes

Absolutely bloody brilliant. Hunt down the promo if you can.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    JP : THE THIRTEENTH TALE - Benjamin Wallfisch

You're right Alan, this is worth a listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. After starting the year with my most personal and favorite score time to discover something I didn't know yet.

John Barry - Walkabout

What a beauty! I'll see the movie ASAP.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    After starting the year with my most personal and favorite score time to discover something I didn't know yet.

John Barry - Walkabout

What a beauty! I'll see the movie ASAP.

love

it's a shame the original tracks are lost ( there is a poor sounding boot )

The film is amazing, well worth your time Pawel.
  3. It will actually be my introduction to Roeg, but I am not without my reasons to watch it very soon.
  4. That said, Barry's score is very Mahleresque in sound. I like that!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mahler was Barry's favourite composer.
  5. Mine too. Which means I will have too look into this sometime.
  6. Timmer wrote

I just finished that. The last track was particularly good. Much of the rest of it was just filler, I thought, but it was worth a listen.

NP - EMPEROR - Alex Heffes

First listen.
  7. christopher wrote
    Timmer wrote

I just finished that. The last track was particularly good. Much of the rest of it was just filler, I thought, but it was worth a listen.

NP - EMPEROR - Alex Heffes

First listen.

I think that Wallfisch's score benefits a lot from seeing the film. It's a fine little score. However, Heffes' Emperor? Talk about filler! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Yeah, Emperor didn't impress me too much until the End Title piece, which was quite excellent, I thought.

I just finished Johannsson's PRISONERS. Now that is a score full of nothing.
  9. NP: COMPANY OF HEROES 2 - Cris Velasco

First listen. What. A. Theme!! I'm only three tracks in, but that first track was fantastic! Looking forward to rest of this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014
    I am now discovering Rush by Hans Zimmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    Yeah, Emperor didn't impress me too much until the End Title piece, which was quite excellent, I thought.

Really? I think it's wonderful. Love those almost psalm-like harmonies that run through it. It's exactly the kind of score I long for and appreciate these days.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. NP: Death and the Maiden (1994) - Wojciech Kilar

Most of the CD is occupied by Quartet in C minor D 810 by Franz Schubert. A very nice piece. (44'02)

The score is 24'22 minutes in length and it is as beautiful as it is short. I have no idea if this is the complete score or what is missing.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    christopher wrote
    Yeah, Emperor didn't impress me too much until the End Title piece, which was quite excellent, I thought.

Really? I think it's wonderful. Love those almost psalm-like harmonies that run through it. It's exactly the kind of score I long for and appreciate these days.

+1
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  11. Scribe wrote
    Thor wrote
    christopher wrote

+1

Ok. To me, it sounded like every track was exactly the same: one long slow drone. Not my thing at all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014 edited
    NP : ARTHUR OF THE BRITONS - Paul Lewis

TV series score from 1972-73, full orchestral quality thematic scoring. For me this was one of the best releases of 2013.

If anyone is interested I see it is up on Spotify.
  12. Joe Hisaishi - Brother

A Japanese jazz score? And a really GOOD one. After watching the movie for the second time a few days ago, I must say that I really, really enjoy this Japanese twist on the noir tradition, which is yeah at the same time very much time very, very Joe Hisaishi in sound. It's really good.

The movie is reportedly one of Kitano's lesser films, but I can't tell, because I haven't seen anything else yet. I will surely make up for that soon.
  13. NP: SpaceCamp (1986) - John Williams

A score of the Age of Magic.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Great score and don't let Thor tell you any different! Spacecamp is most definitely NOT Williams on auto-pilot!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  14. ^ No worries! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Great score and don't let Thor tell you any different! Spacecamp is most definitely NOT Williams on auto-pilot!

-Erik-

Exactly. What does Thor know?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Troy Gabriel Yared

One of 'film music's' greatest fuck ups.

...that it got rejected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Exactly. What does Thor know?

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Meh.

Has a highlight track or two, but is otherwise one of the most boring Williams soundtracks I own.
    I am extremely serious.