• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2013 edited
    SCHINDLER'S LIST - John Williams

Williams has written a lot of classic film scores, and all of the fun ones are ingrained in the public psyche worldwide, but this work is his masterpiece, in my mind. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't hear it at first. The first time I put this score on I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. I dismissed it because it wasn't like Williams's other scores I knew. I didn't play it again for years. Meanwhile I was hearing all kinds of praise for it. When I finally played it again I could not believe how great it was! I have no idea how I missed it at first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2013
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Howard Shore

Seems pretty clear that "The Forest River" is the action cue of the year for me. By a very large margin. Not even anything written by my Lord and Savior Hans Christ Zimmer comes particularly close!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    IMO, there was no better action cue this year than THIS!

But "The Forest River" is pretty awesome, too!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes! Chopper Takedown is a corker of an action track.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I think I'd give the Truckzilla cues the edge but certainly, there hasn't been much action music better than A Good Day to Die Hard this year. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah

We don't see eye-to-eye often, Edmund, but as you know I'm with you on that FACT!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. NP: Cosmopolis (Howard Shore & Muse)

A project that invites extremes. It's both the worst film I've seen in some years (deliberate alienation has the intended effect), and the best Howard Shore score I've heard in some years (both in film context, and away from it). I await the firing squad for the latter view.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Cosmopolis (Howard Shore & Muse)

A project that invites extremes. It's both the worst film I've seen in some years (deliberate alienation has the intended effect), and the best Howard Shore score I've heard in some years (both in film context, and away from it). I await the firing squad for the latter view.

I haven't heard it but I looked it up and it's on Spotify so I'm going to give it a listen later.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Scribe wrote
    ... my Lord and Savior Hans Christ Zimmer ...

When the Old Gods disappoint, it's customary for those who still need to believe in something to pick more inspiring ones than that!
  4. Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I haven't heard it but I looked it up and it's on Spotify so I'm going to give it a listen later.

Spotify was how I got addicted to it. Skip the songs first time round if they get in the way. (Although I've come to like them too.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Scribe wrote

When the Old Gods disappoint, it's customary for those who still need to believe in something to pick more inspiring ones than that!

Stop it Michael, yer killing me biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Spotify was how I got addicted to it. Skip the songs first time round if they get in the way. (Although I've come to like them too.)

I like Muse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre

Now this is a mighty film score.
  5. Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I like Muse.

Actually, the band is Metric, not Muse smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Ha! Mea culpa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2013
    franz_conrad wrote
    Scribe wrote

I'm not disappointed by Lord Zimmer, on the contrary, this is probably the strongest year of his entire career from my perspective. But Zimmer doesn't write the greatest action music; as a polytheist I'm perfectly capable of making honest comparisons between my gods...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2013 edited
    Southall wrote
    Breakfast at Tiffany's - Henry Mancini

The new Intrada album. It's often stated that Mancini made great albums that were poor representations of his film scores and that if only people listened to the film tracks they would see how good a dramatist he was, so much more than just the easy listening master. I'm not sure this album would support that claim. By the time you get to "Moon River (light instrumental arrangement 3,650)" even possibly the most attractive melody ever written for film is starting to wear rather thin.

I COMPLETELY disagree: I think it's a massive improvement on the original release. (Admittedly earlier available) incredibly good jazz tracks like Something for Cat alternate with still exceedingly listenable film tracks like Hub Cabs And Tail Lights and Meet The Doc.

And except for the nine bonus tracks at the end, which indeed are mostly variations of the (wonderful) Moon River theme, the theme in fact is used quite sparsely throughout the score, and in the 29 preceding tracks for me not once wears out its welcome. Best thing: FINALLY the version with Audrey Hepburn actually singing Moon River is now available...and it's just lovely.

I'm very happy with Intrada's release, adn the old BMG one is definitely out the door!
    Maybe in a future giveaway?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Saving Mr. Banks - Thomas Newman

I filtered out of the non-Newman songs) and am left with a beautiful main theme and a pleasant though not memorable additional 30 minutes of Newman's recognisable soft/dreamy, slightly alienating work. Certainly not bad.
    But not oustanding in any way either.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Saving Mr. Banks - Thomas Newman

I filtered out of the non-Newman songs) and am left with a beautiful main theme and a pleasant though not memorable additional 30 minutes of Newman's recognisable soft/dreamy, slightly alienating work. Certainly not bad.
    But not oustanding in any way either.

My thoughts exactly. It pleasantly drifted by me without leaving a trace.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love it! It's short, sweet and it's Newman doing what Newman does so well. I rather like the album as it is (the first disc that is, I haven't felt brave enough to listen to the second as yet).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tierra de Sangre - Patrick Kirst

There's a bit of PADDY POWER here from Patrick Kirst. Very strong orchestral music, stylish and exciting and beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I love it! It's short, sweet and it's Newman doing what Newman does so well.

SKYFALL
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah
  7. Robert Folk - Police Academy

So much fun this score is! I kind of grew up with this theme, though the material I wanted to hear the most was the riot material, using the funk influences. Great, classic score to a comedy where I actually really ended up watching every single part of it, especially as a kid.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A Passage to India - Maurice Jarre

A fantastic score. Pondering whether to get the expansion - it's been far too long since I've seen the film but I don't remember hearing much there that wasn't on the original album (a masterpiece).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2013
    I feel the same way James. A very good film but it's been a very long time since I saw it too.
  8. Steven wrote
    I love it! It's short, sweet and it's Newman doing what Newman does so well. I rather like the album as it is (the first disc that is, I haven't felt brave enough to listen to the second as yet).

The second disc is really just there for historical value. Listen to the Sherman's singing those famous songs with nothing but a piano for accompaniment is fascinating from a musicological point of view, but not nearly as pleasant as listening to the songs as they appeared in the film, which might be why they put those on there next. It's nice to have, though I don't imagine the second disc will get much play time from me. If I want to listen to those songs, I think I'll just watch the film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2013
    Timmer wrote
    I feel the same way James. A very good film but it's been a very long time since I saw it too.

Looking at the Quartet notes on it more carefully, it looks like most of the additional music on the album may actually be source music. The non-bonus section of the album only has two additional tracks in it compared with the original album.
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Robert Folk - Police Academy

So much fun this score is! I kind of grew up with this theme, though the material I wanted to hear the most was the riot material, using the funk influences. Great, classic score to a comedy where I actually really ended up watching every single part of it, especially as a kid.

yay, I'm looking forward to the riot music as well. So can't wait to hear it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. Steven wrote
    I love it! It's short, sweet and it's Newman doing what Newman does so well.

It pleasantly drifted by me without leaving a trace.

So, what he does well is drift by without leaving a lasting impression...

wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.