• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    As I remember, this one definitely falls into cheesy bad.

Booooo. Either you have never heard the LLLR version, or you have terrible tastes in music. wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: O TEMPO E O VENTO (Alexandre Guerra)

This is a fine score that taps somewhat into LEGENDS OF THE FALL territory. My only qualm is that it's a bit too long so it tends to wear out its welcome (a little too much of the same).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Indeed. Hoosiers? Cheesy, yes, but good cheese (more like stilton). Days Of Thunder? More like rotten feet.
  1. I happen to love both biggrin .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Bah. Anyone who isn't at least a little bit charmed by the glorious cheese that is Days of Thunder has no soul at all, says I. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Indeed. Hoosiers? Cheesy, yes, but good cheese (more like stilton). Days Of Thunder? More like rotten feet.

I think the exact opposite. Goldsmith's synth use -- especially in the 80s -- is so cheesy and bad and gererally crappy that it hurts all over my body. Zimmer's cheese, however, is usually PURE BLISS!

So there! tongue
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote

God I wish there was more music like this these days.

freezing
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Booooo. Either you have never heard the LLLR version, or you have terrible tastes in music. wink

It's well known that I have terrible tastes in music so it won't surprise you that I haven't heard the LLLR version wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I think the exact same. Goldsmith's synth use -- especially in the 80s -- is cheesy and bad but generally good that it sings all over my body. Zimmer's cheese, however, is usually PURE BOLLOCKS!

So there! tongue

yeah
  3. I listened to Avatar (James Horner) earlier today. Such a fine score!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Thor wrote

This is a fine score that taps somewhat into LEGENDS OF THE FALL territory. My only qualm is that it's a bit too long so it tends to wear out its welcome (a little too much of the same).

This is an excellent score IMO. Possibly one of my top scores of the year.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Spotify? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

This is an excellent score IMO. Possibly one of my top scores of the year.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but it's pretty good. I have a feeling there's a smokin' great 40-minute program in there somewhere.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor, since you like really chill and mellow scores, you might want to check out some parts of Atli's A Single Shot. So far, it's reminding me of Prisoners.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: NIGHT TRAIN TO LISBON (Annette Focks)

It's pretty good, but it's not in the same league as certain other Bille August movie scores. It's an interesting thing that all of his scores prioritize 'slowness' and melody, no matter who the composer is. He's a bit like David Lynch that way.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    Thor, since you like really chill and mellow scores, you might want to check out some parts of Atli's A Single Shot. So far, it's reminding me of Prisoners.

Thanks. I think I tried it a while back, but it didn't do much for me, I'm afraid. Chill and mellow isn't enough in itself -- you need to have something 'extra'; like in the case of PRISONERS, where it has those psalm-like harmonies.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yeah, "A Single Shot" is pretty dark and cold. But still a bit beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bonnie and Clyde - John Debney

The fact that he has no discernible musical personality of his own is not what you might call a plus point, but it does mean that Debney throws out the occasional surprise, and this is one. Very enjoyable, particularly the dynamic action music fairly clearly styled on Isham's magnificent Black Dahlia.
  6. Southall wrote
    Bonnie and Clyde - John Debney

The fact that he has no discernible musical personality of his own is not what you might call a plus point, but it does mean that Debney throws out the occasional surprise, and this is one. Very enjoyable, particularly the dynamic action music fairly clearly styled on Isham's magnificent Black Dahlia.

I'm just trying to track that train of thought that led to a BLACK DAHLIA style score... CHINATOWN perhaps as quintessential Faye Dunaway music? (Better that than 'Windmills of your mind' for no reason, I guess.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. Thor wrote
    NP: NIGHT TRAIN TO LISBON (Annette Focks)

It's pretty good, but it's not in the same league as certain other Bille August movie scores. It's an interesting thing that all of his scores prioritize 'slowness' and melody, no matter who the composer is. He's a bit like David Lynch that way.

I just had my first listen to her score for OSTWIND today. It's very good. Better than NIGHT TRAIN, in my opinion, and I thought that one was pretty good. She's one to watch.

NP - AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY - Gustavo Santoalalla

Exactly what I expected. Perfectly inoffensive little guitar score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014
    NP : THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO - Barry Gray

Excellent!

I make no apologies for posting one of the greatest marches ever composed, the ZERO-X THEME, if you're only familiar with the (equally) brilliant Thunderbirds march then I seriously recommend you give this fantastic piece a listen. Barry Gray really was an exceptional talent.
  8. NP: Night Train to Lisbon (A Focks)

Firstly, always a pleasure to see a woman's name on a score. It is traditionally such a male-dominated area, and usually a woman whose made it has had to work pretty hard to get there.

Nice score. I bought it on the basis of the discussion here. It could have been a shorter album given there's a repetitive aspect to the material. (Perhaps a bit more fado interspersed with the score would be good.) But I do like it. Less dramatic than Zarvos's Door in the Floor, but similar in some ways.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. I appreciate your first paragraph a lot. I also think more women should score movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It actually makes no sense to me that there are so many more men than women in a field that's all about expression emotion.
  10. Timmer wrote

Excellent!

I make no apologies for posting one of the greatest marches ever composed, the ZERO-X THEME, if you're only familiar with the (equally) brilliant Thunderbirds march then I seriously recommend you give this fantastic piece a listen. Barry Gray really was an exceptional talent.

You like all sorts of Barrys, don't you? cheesy
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Excellent!

You like all sort of Barrys, do you? cheesy

Don't forget his favourite Barry of all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    To me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote

Excellent!

AMEN!!! beer punk
  11. DOCTOR WHO series 7 - Murray Gold

This is really long. Anyone want to point me to some highlights so I don't have to listen to the whole thing? smile