• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2014
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: O TEMPO E O VENTO (Alexandre Guerra)

This is a fine score that taps somewhat into LEGENDS OF THE FALL territory. My only qualm is that it's a bit too long so it tends to wear out its welcome (a little too much of the same).

This is an excellent score IMO. Possibly one of my top scores of the year.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but it's pretty good. I have a feeling there's a smokin' great 40-minute program in there somewhere.

Listening to this now. I like it, though like you say, it does go on a bit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    To you.

To me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO - Barry Gray

Excellent!

I make no apologies for posting one of the greatest marches ever composed, the ZERO-X THEME, if you're only familiar with the (equally) brilliant Thunderbirds march then I seriously recommend you give this fantastic piece a listen. Barry Gray really was an exceptional talent.

AMEN!!! beer punk

Word! Taste! punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    To you.

To me.

A very merry unbirthday!
  2. Scribe wrote
    It actually makes no sense to me that there are so many more men than women in a field that's all about expression emotion.

Agreed, except for the implied stereotype and sweeping generalization about women being more emotional than men...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO - Barry Gray

Excellent!

I make no apologies for posting one of the greatest marches ever composed, the ZERO-X THEME, if you're only familiar with the (equally) brilliant Thunderbirds march then I seriously recommend you give this fantastic piece a listen. Barry Gray really was an exceptional talent.

You like all sort of Barrys, do you? cheesy

Yes!

...even in GERMAN biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Agreed, except for the implied stereotype and sweeping generalization about women being more emotional than men...

Yes, it's a ridiculous generalization, but it's based on things that are currently true in this world.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Like what? I think we're all emotional creatures, regardless of gender (how we show them and act on them is what generally differs between the sexes I would imagine).

Clearly it makes no difference whether a piece of music was written by a man, a woman or an aardvark, though it does strike me as odd that it's still predominantly male. I can see why classical music is overwhelmingly male given how women have been viewed over the course of history, but are women still afforded less opportunities as men? Is there a great untapped source of female musical talent? And do we need to tap that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    It actually makes no sense to me that there are so many more men than women in a field that's all about expression emotion.

Hurray for stereotypes!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Huzzah! Women should leave composing to the men, and stick to making me sandwiches!
  3. Steven wrote
    Like what? I think we're all emotional creatures, regardless of gender (how we show them and act on them is what generally differs between the sexes I would imagine).

Clearly it makes no difference whether a piece of music was written by a man, a woman or an aardvark, though it does strike me as odd that it's still predominantly male. I can see why classical music is overwhelmingly male given how women have been viewed over the course of history, but are women still afforded less opportunities as men? Is there a great untapped source of female musical talent? And do we need to tap that?

There was a lot controversy surrounding a joke Trevor Rabin said when asked why aren't there more female composers: "Because they're not as good!". I actually participated in the discussion, when Pinar Toprak got, to put it delicately, quite angry at Rabin's statement. Hans Zimmer chimed in, noting how Shirley Walker was rejected from projects, because studio heads thought she couldn't do it and had no credentials...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    -said Trevor Rabin throwing stones from inside his greenhouse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

Hurray for stereotypes!

-Erik-

They're not called stereotypes for no reason you know...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote

There was a lot controversy surrounding a joke Trevor Rabin said when asked why aren't there more female composers: "Because they're not as good!". I actually participated in the discussion, when Pinar Toprak got, to put it delicately, quite angry at Rabin's statement. Hans Zimmer chimed in, noting how Shirley Walker was rejected from projects, because studio heads thought she couldn't do it and had no credentials...

I'd mostly and with few exceptions go with Rabin?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You agree with Rabin's comment?
  4. How can we really assess the female talent if we don't get, e.g., Rachel Portman to score a project like Gladiator? We won't know anything.

Next year Pinar Toprak is doing a big disaster movie from the writer of Independence Day. Only then we can assess the talent. If women are relegated to Jane Austen adaptations and that sort (Anne Dudley, Debbie Wiseman and Deborah Lurie are getting more diverse assignments, though Lurie got her only "more masculine" project probably only because Elfman agreed to write the theme...), we won't know much. I know a couple of girls who want to get into film scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2014 edited
    My point exactly! I'm sure it's more a case that women just aren't given as many opportunities as men, and when you consider how much opportunity you need in order to be a successful composer (aside from talent), the odds are very much against you if you have a vagina.

Hey, I could be wrong, maybe women aren't as good as men. But I see no reason why that should be true!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also I just googled Toprak. I was pleasantly surprised.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Is there a great untapped source of female musical talent? And do we need to tap that?

Unquestionably. That was my underlying point. If men can be so brilliant at writing music, what might some particularly talented women be able to do?! Given that women often do have a very broader emotional range and more access to right-brained creativity than men*? Could the next John Williams be female?

*I mean this in the best possible way, especially since I consider myself to have a rather female soul.
  5. Steven wrote

She's married with children wink
  6. Steven wrote
    You agree with Rabin's comment?

Hopefully it was as much of a joke as rabin's comment. (If it is, it's about as funny.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Bill Conti

For me this doesn't beat Michel Legrand's version, not by a long way, but it's still a bloody good score in it's own right.
  7. Sarah Class - Africa

Nice so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote

She's married with children wink

Forbidden fruit and a milf? Great, now she's even more attractive. slant

Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote
    Is there a great untapped source of female musical talent? And do we need to tap that?

Unquestionably.

Playa...

That was my underlying point. If men can be so brilliant at writing music, what might some particularly talented women be able to do?! Given that women often do have a very broader emotional range and more access to right-brained creativity than men*? Could the next John Williams be female?

*I mean this in the best possible way, especially since I consider myself to have a rather female soul.

My underlying point was actually that owning a particular type of genitalia need not matter, and it's unfortunate that it appears to be the case. I also think it's a fallacy to state that women are capable of a broader emotional range, especially given what male composers have written throughout history.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think you all should listen to this for some points on the issue!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    What I meant to communicate is that more individual women are, in all probability, capable of a broader emotional range than their individual male counterparts. In about 100 years or so, possibly sooner, what I am trying to say that I can't find the words for, will become the status quo. Women will be taking over the planet. More importantly, qualities that are traditionally associated with femininity - gentleness, nurturing, the giving of affection, physical beauty, so many more, all good things - will increasingly become the dominant qualities of life on planet earth, replacing the "male" qualities of force, taking, physical roughness and ruggedness, the need to control, etc. I'm not talking about genitalia. I'm talking about broad philosophical concepts here. Concepts that both men and women will change the world with. But more of them will be women, because those qualities generally come more naturally and comfortably to them. As good old Captain Jack says, "the 21st century is when everything changes," and that will apply to women in film music as well. So back to the point, there's going to be some bloody great film music created by women in the future. Rivaling any of the best stuff we have up to this point in history. For all we know, one of them is already lurking as a temp worker in Hans Zimmer's studio. Or staring enviously at Conrad Pope as he dances across the spectrum of Hollywood composers, making their music better. And maybe some of them haven't even been born yet. But they are coming.

Then again, I'm probably bloody mad, so don't listen to me smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think you run the risk of going too far the other way and elevating women higher than men. It's not that women are somehow better suited to certain aspects of film scoring, but rather, apparently, women are afforded less opportunities than men. Yes, it's nice to hear a score by a female composer considering the lack of female presence in film scoring, but that doesn't mean we should grant it extra hype simple because it is composed by a female.

That said, we're never surprised to hear a sweet, emotional score by a male composer, but it's often a surprise when we hear a bombastic, full blooded score written by a female (and unfortunately it's a rare surprise). It seems natural to have this expectation that women are less capable of writing bombastic music than men, but I wonder if that's really true? Writing music isn't like being an athlete where gender does play a bigger role.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2014
    I think women deserve to be elevated a bit higher than men at some point in the future. It's only fair. Historically speaking.

And I think there are a quite a handful of women already in the industry who could write amazing big bombastic music. I mean, Cornish wrote "Island of Lost Souls" 6 years ago already. So of course they can. It's just that stereotypes endlessly prevail in the minds of studio execs. Isn't Rabin still writing sports scores for crying out loud? The girls-can-write-big-music meme just needs to build a little more momentum. I'm really excited to hear that Toprak is doing something big. I didn't even know that. Her "Wind Gods" score is one of the most delightful hidden gems of the last few years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2014
    Scribe wrote
    I think women deserve to be elevated a bit higher than men at some point in the future. It's only fair. Historically speaking.

Perhaps people should be elevated for their actions, not their gender. wink
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    Sarah Class - Africa

Nice so far.

I find that score really enjoyable, too.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.