• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Scribe wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Yes. And you can't give me a single good reason why you shouldn't, that isn't legal red-tape-style BS. Just my opinion. An opinion that will be fully backed up by my actions when I am a successful artist in my field(s).

I would like to clarify that when I wrote this, I was referring to the general concept of unreleased score promos being leaked to the fan community, not saying any particular person like Erik should be leaking anything. I probably didn't make that clear. I still maintain that keeping any film score behind bars does not a single person any good; in fact, it does passive harm to a lot of people whose lives could be further enriched by more good music, and probably lessens the potential buzz around the individual composers whose scores are being kept under wraps. Only uninformed men in suits and those who absorb record company propaganda still think that "file sharing" equates to lost sales. Those of us who love film music and possess money are happy to buy every release we can get our grubby paws on, regardless of whether or not it happened to have been leaked as a promo in the past. Just witness the continuous re-releases by the niche labels of older scores that have already been released multiple times in the past, legally or otherwise. Look at Godzilla. Was the success of that glorious LLLR album harmed by there having been a promo of the score many years earlier? Not at all. If anything, the promo helped the eventual album sales, by keeping the score on people's radars, and letting them know it contained music to be treasured, which is especially important when an unpopular film is involved.

So, it is my firm position that leaked promos do not harm eventual album sales. If anything, they help. Possibly quite a bit. How many people are going to rush to buy a complete Armageddon score if it ever comes out, who would have completely forgotten about the stupid thing by now, if not for the leaked, low-sound-quality recording sessions being so easily available, acting as a self-replicating viral ad campaign for the possibility of a future official remastered album?

I have a vision for an ideal world in which all scores would be released, more profit could go to the actual artists, and every possible album configuration from C&C to 30-minute highlight reels would be easily available. It would require everyone being on the same page and getting along and respecting each other...seems a bit too idealistic for now. But I might type something up about it later.

There is a theory that a lot of the early MV/RC leaks were basically unoficially approved by the composers for the reasons you specify above.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2014 edited
    Pawel Stroinski wrote

There is a theory that a lot of the early MV/RC leaks were basically unoficially approved by the composers for the reasons you specify above.

Film music terrorism eh!?

Make it stop

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. "This Is the End" suite I found on Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t6CQMLkX3s
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. NP: La Vita e Bella (1998) - Nicola Piovani

Bitter-sweet melodic score in the best tradition of Italian film scoring.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe, we are generating interest in hope for 1) studios to pick up good composers and give them more ang bigger projects (many of them aren't as established as Badalamenti) and 2) record labels to pick up those promos and actually release them for the rest of the public. It's not an ego thing. And of course we can't leak anything supplied by composers, pr publicists and agents, that would be illegal and immoral and of course a huge hit for the IFMCA's credibility which is as high as ever, also its function. So, be patient. As for Stalingrand, it's coming out in a few days via MOVIESCORE MEDIA / KRONOS RECORDS.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2014
    Scribe wrote
    I'm sorry, I didn't know being a film music fan was primarily about what each one of our particular egos had accomplished. If I were in the game of bashing egos, I would say that I as a human being will someday have the ear of far more millions than any of you will likely have, unless some of you also have hidden talents I would be excited to hear about. But screw that. Egoism sucks.

Are you serious? Boy you have some issues to solve my friend.
    • CommentAuthorDr Bashir
    I am a medical doctor. Always on call. I have the ear of many millions.
  4. And you are genetically enhanced.
  5. NP: The Fall of the Roman Empire - Dimitri Tiomkin
    (Re-recording)

Fantastic! Tiomkin is a composer I long neglected. No more so. I am discovering a genius.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorDr Bashir
    Many people in this world have hidden talents that only become revealed later in life. Take my cousin Graham. He lived his first 55 years as a sheep-herder down in the Antipodes - New Zealand, to be precise. After a chance encounter with a Buddhist, he converted to that faith - and then came to believe that one of the sheep under his care was in fact Sonny Bono reincarnated. Night after night, Graham would dress up in his Cher costume and sing - over and over again - to this sheep - "I've got ewe, babe."

Over time, the local villagers - a potentially explosive ethnic mix of white immigrants and Maori people - saw my cousin Graham as a figure of fun. A grown man, dressed as Cher, singing to a sheep! Then came the announcement in the newspaper: "Volunteers required: help beat whooping cough." Graham donated his entire collection of leather holdalls to the local museum in order to boost this vital cause. (The curator was somewhat startled to find 84 identical sets of false teeth in one of the holdalls, but little did he know that my cousin had at one point in his life been planning a 12-week trip to Lebanon, just when the Foreign Office's official advice had been to take a fresh set of dentures for each day spent in Beirut.) For month after month thereafter, the village was entirely free of whooping cough.

Of course, Graham is now known the world over for his tireless efforts at fighting whooping cough - and yet, for the first 53 years of his life, that talent had been well and truly hidden.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lol
  6. I'm not shure you're fit for duty with Starfleet, Dr Bashir ... dizzy wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I'm sorry, I didn't know being a film music fan was primarily about what each one of our particular egos had accomplished. If I were in the game of bashing egos, I would say that I as a human being will someday have the ear of far more millions than any of you will likely have, unless some of you also have hidden talents I would be excited to hear about. But screw that. Egoism sucks.

I was just amused to hear Erik state so categorically that he has had far more positive influence on film music than I ever will, when in all likelihood I will one day, perhaps soon, have the power to encourage millions of people to give film music a try, in a way that no one has ever done before. But you are perfectly welcome to dismiss me as delusional smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    If everyone was posting from here (Adelaide, South Australia) where it's currently 46 °C and in its fourth day of a heat wave I could understand recent, slightly off topic, but nonetheless interesting posts on this thread that had been "heating up" for a while there.
    So, with a bit of tongue in cheek but still quite literally, I am NP: Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre.
    This is the Tadlow release and quite magnificent!

......I think I just saw some camels walk past my front window! Shite, it IS hot here!
  7. Scribe wrote
    in all likelihood I will one day, perhaps soon, have the power to encourage millions of people to give film music a try, in a way that no one has ever done before. But you are perfectly welcome to dismiss me as delusional smile

And what is it, exactly, that will instil you with such powers of persuasion and such a massive audience?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    In all likelihood I will one day, perhaps soon, have the power to encourage millions of people to give film music a try, in a way that no one has ever done before.

Are you planning some form of mind control? Or more old-school, perhaps some form of military coup followed by film music encouragement for the population (I think it was next on Pol Pot's list of things to do when he was ousted, so it would make sense to put it higher up if that's what you're planning)? Or is there a more complicated answer? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Off-topic: now playing Iron Man 3 - Brian Tyler

Love it. Can't remember what everyone else thought. Theme too simple, or is that just Thor?
  8. ^ I love it too!

NP: Taras Bulba - Franz Waxman
    The re-recording

Brilliant!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I was under the impression that everyone around here knew that I am an aspiring novelist.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote

Love it. Can't remember what everyone else though. Theme too simple, or is that just Thor?

No, the Iron Man 3 theme is fantastic. The Thor one starts off well but meanders off towards the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  9. Southall wrote

Love it. Can't remember what everyone else though. Theme too simple, or is that just Thor?

That was Thor for me (stupid four chords). I love the theme to this, albeit I'd say that Anthony's complaint applies to it as well...it doesn't really have a satisfying ending, but rather always seems to lead back into a repetition of itself. That's fine once, but make sure the repetition then at least ends with a satisfying phrase!
  10. Scribe wrote
    I was under the impression that everyone around here knew that I am an aspiring novelist.

Ah, I see. Same here, and you know, I've had the same (arguable) delusions of grandeur about how my much-vaunted name would shine the limelight on film music a bit more. Mostly I daydream about my gaggles of fans finding my reviews over at Tracksounds and instantly exploding that site's viewership by a factor of about a hundred or so. People who are going in to watch a movie would start thinking about the score and wondering what I'd have to say about it. I'd be able to call voting bodies out on their BS when they nominate a score based on the film, to which they would of course respond by changing their tactics completely. I'd be able to promote underrated composers whom I love and actually have it make a difference in the industry.

Then I start thinking about selling the movie rights to my novel, and how I'll make sure there's a clause in there about me being very involved in the film music side of things, i.e. being able to pick the composer and making sure that he/she gets as much creative freedom as possible. Then I'd get to sit in on recording sessions, have long conversations with my composer of choice, exchange autographs (because of course he/she will be a fan too). And also writing the liner notes of the subsequent score album!

Ahhh...such wonderful dreams. smile smile smile
  11. I have a creative writing workshop going with some enthusiastic students. That's enough for me nowerdays.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    If Harry Potter or Edward Cullen had been a film music fan, millions of teenagers would think film music was Cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014
    Matt, your Crazy-O-Meter is so off the charts that I suggest you open up your own Guess The Score Clip thread that only you post in.
  12. Scribe wrote

Strong self esteem often comes with the downside that you forget people see only the actions, not the aspirations. Yours is a great aspiration, but I'd be cautious about cashing the achievement cheques in public, even when you do reach the point where you are all you can be.

Back to the subject matter...

NP: Brideshead Revisited (Adrian Johnston)

Lovely.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  13. Steven wrote
    Matt, your Crazy-O-Meter is so off the charts that I suggest you open up your own Guess The Score Clip thread that only you post in.

bounce
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote

lol

Holy fuck that was hilarious! Not laughing at you, Matt. The Mystery Clip thread is one of my all time favourites here at MT. Justin's little playground where he's entertaining only one person... himself.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Scribe wrote

I was just amused to hear Erik state so categorically that he has had far more positive influence on film music than I ever will, when in all likelihood I will one day, perhaps soon, have the power to encourage millions of people to give film music a try, in a way that no one has ever done before. But you are perfectly welcome to dismiss me as delusional smile

I'm usually much more humble about my radio show but your comments pissed me right off last night that I just wrote what was on my mind without filtering it.

I wish you nothing but success with your venture and I hope that one day you become the world's most influential film music personality.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!