• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I can assure you, it was him personally writing from his personal profile.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Fair enough. I'm surprised he picked one review to single out among all the anti-Zimmer vitriol that's out there on the internet. James, you should feel honored!
  3. A few of his Facebook friends (namely me and this forum's own Nautilus, who doesn't post much anymore) were quite vocal in the discussion, so I guess he got interested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Peter, it wasn't about the negative review itself (Hans seemed to be cool with that, though I think the way he put it, that James "didn't get it", didn't exactly sound right), but about James stating that Balfe wrote the thematic suites, which are *always* Zimmer's own doing.

I'm sure that's part of it, but he was clearly annoyed by the review itself, focusing on the word "banal", the leitmotif thing, making his sarcastic "musical genius" comment and the "didn't get it" part that you mentioned. Anyway, it doesn't really matter what he meant in a little facebook message some months ago. He was clearly annoyed and aired his opinion in a less than ideal way. Happens to the best of us.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    A few of his Facebook friends (namely me and this forum's own Nautilus, who doesn't post much anymore) were quite vocal in the discussion, so I guess he got interested.

I'm one of the "selected few" on his list too (after we met in Ghent), but I don't talk to him much. He is, however, one of the few bigshot film composers who actually participate on boards now and again.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    On this board too? uhm Because he then deserves a kazoo! Green!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    On this board too? uhm Because he then deserves a kazoo! Orange!

He, he...no, I doubt he's ever been here. I've seen him on some techie boards (software for composers etc.).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I should clarify that it's nothing that Zimmer did that made me suggest I didn't want to review his music any more - it would always be understandable for someone to react to a negative review. It was the reaction of some of the more vocal fans (well, one in particular) - it seemed for a while like I had ruined their lives. No review is worth that!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I should clarify that it's nothing that Zimmer did that made me suggest I didn't want to review his music any more - it would always be understandable for someone to react to a negative review. It was the reaction of some of the more vocal fans (well, one in particular) - it seemed for a while like I had ruined their lives. No review is worth that!

It was all very odd and had me scratching my head. I dunno, maybe I take it for granted that others are as thick skinned as I am?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. It surprised me that it happened then and it amazes me that we're still talking about it now. Cue lengthy post from one of the fans about how it was all understandable from their pov and the merry go round can start again. Hans shouldn't have cared and his coterie should get a life.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Southall wrote
    It was the reaction of some of the more vocal fans (well, one in particular) - it seemed for a while like I had ruined their lives. No review is worth that!

A bunch of pissing & moaning fan-bies angry because their feelings were hurt by somebody else's opinion? Seems to me the article was a good day's work!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

It was all very odd and had me scratching my head. I dunno, maybe I take it for granted that others are as thick skinned as I am?

Especially that (and I am insanely sensitive to that, I admit) his review was actually *respectful*, now if he had basically almost sued Christian Clemmensen for his bullshit, I would even cheer him...
  7. franz_conrad wrote
    It surprised me that it happened then and it amazes me that we're still talking about it now. Cue lengthy post from one of the fans about how it was all understandable from their pov and the merry go round can start again. Hans shouldn't have cared and his coterie should get a life.

For my sake I can only say I just discovered the brouhaha after JS posted his year in review. smile
  8. No irritation here- I just find it hard to believe that it all happened smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. Me too and, somehow against my will, I got involved in the ordeal even deeper. That's all I am going to say.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013 edited
    You were commendably level headed about it all Pawel, just a shame one or two 'others' threw their toys everywhere.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2013
    Southall wrote

I know that music can be a deeply personal thing and that it can be hurtful to hear others express negative opinions about it, but seeing this disagrement of taste is a lesson in life we all have to experience and get used to sooner or later. These people need to mature, and the way to do it is not to bow down to their oversensitivity and start censoring yourself.

Actually this reminds me of the whole Muhammad cartoon uproar: People behaving with religious oversensitivity towards infidel criticism and satire. The solution is the same; don't let your opinions be suppressed by unreasonable hysteria. The consequences of self-censorship is also the same; you'll end up not being able to express yourself and they'll never learn to tolerate disagrement.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2013
    Well said Peter. We lost a couple of members in the process but were they worth it in the first place?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. Of all the scores to get so upset about, why that one?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2013 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Of all the scores to get so upset about, why that one?

It truly beats me. The score did nothing for me and I thought the film was one of the years biggest disappointments.
  11. I loved the film and the score was pretty good but I would never get that offended if someone didn't like either.
  12. Look guys, I have a more intimate knowledge of what happened, and this knowledge is nothing I wished for, but anyway... It wasn't about the rating, it was about the factual error that Lorne Balfe wrote the original suites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    I was at the Ghent press conference, Hans knows your names and where you live and he'll come and burn your house down wink

Beware

I wasn't aware of the movie-wave/Zimmer 'incident' long after it happened, and to me it's a typical 'internet' storm in a glass of water.
  13. He knows my name and yes, he does know my address wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And he will bring ex-maintitles lunatics with him :scared:
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He knows my name and yes, he does know my address wink

You're quite proud of your "brief brush" with Zimmer, aren't you, Pawel? wink
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Yeah, one of the moments of my life smile

We still chat once in a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2013
    I would be too if I ever interviewed Morricone. I'd start 10 threads on this forum about it, and Bregt would have to ban me to get me to shut up about it.

Peter wink
  15. francis wrote
    I wasn't aware of the movie-wave/Zimmer 'incident' long after it happened, and to me it's a typical 'internet' storm in a glass of water.

Oh, now Hans' is in our water:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZa6ZoRpQ2w#t=4m53s
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    justin boggan wrote

Oh, now Hans' is in our water:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZa6ZoRpQ2w#t=4m53s

Great, now you've made me watch a Shyamalan movie... biggrin