• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013
    Bregt wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Basil is critcal about MainTitel's Hans-Zimmer-Thread, how it had to be closed and that there isn't a new thred yet. He calls this "lächerlich / ridiculous". I contradicted him in this point.

Why is that important to mention in a review?

However, I said that when a new thread is necessary, anyone is free to create it. I just closed it because of the reasons mentioned in my last post.

I just mentioned it only briefly during my opening lines of my review about the whole hype accompagning the release of Zimmers latest score and as an excemple for the sometimes very emotional discussions about Zimmer and his work. That's it.
    I don't want to insult anyone on this board and I like to visit it frequently myself. Hope that the newly opened threat will contain interesting posts again, without going too far into personal insults. Like/dislike new releases, and let them being liked/disliked by others. In German: Jedem das Seine. smile

I'd actually say, that my review is a bit more positiv about MoS than the ones from Southall and Clemmensen (which I enjoyed reading myself greatly; along with much of their other Reviews!).
    My main ciriticism about the MoS release is, that it's just too much more-of-the-same and a far, far too long release from Sony. Beside I worte that I hope for a return of the composer who did such enjoyable scores like "Pirates 3", "Kung Fu Panda 1 + 2" (with Powell, I know), "Last Samurai" etc. (in the final paragraph of my review). In short: Scores with a more orchestral Approach and more "different colors" to it.

All best
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BasilB said: Hope that the newly opened threat

biggrin

I am easily entertained shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I would suggest franz_conrad.

I can think of no better choice.............................well, except for Thomas of course wink

I'm glad we all agree that I wouldn't be the choice to open the thread.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Martijn wrote
    Most reviewers who actually took the time and effort to not only listen to Man Of Steel (often multiple times) I see write down an analytically powerful and emotionally charged review, setting down exactly what is measureably failing and what they in their opinion dislike.
    Very balanced in other words.

I've been looking around (though admittedly not very hard. This particular subject is just a complete wet cracker to me), but it seems that many (indeed most) rebuttals are on the level of the argumentation of Jihadist monomaniacs!
    While I get that Zimmer is the Justin Bieber of film music (in that he elicits very much the same extremist love-hate relationships and nothing more. I hope. ), it seems incredible that so far no one has been able to come up with any analysis, and thoughtfully phrased concept on why they would consider Man Of Steel such a good (or indeed "awesome") score.

In fact, I am looking forward to Pawel's review (which I'm guessing is going to be in the positive spectrum) to try and simply get it. So TELL me.
    It's not like I'm going to change my mind.
    It's not like anyone has to (on a matter of taste).
    But I'd dearly love to see a proper debate on the powerful points that Cristian C., Basil and James have made, rather than the (at times really disturbingly) overly emotional (out)rage that seems all 'de rigueur' whenever someone criticises Der Zimmer.

I'm happy to report that my take on Zimmer's Man of Steel (in fact I have seen a press showing of the movie today) is exactly middle ground, if the one star reviews and the glowing praise wherever else are the general assessment, my own is a three star score.

I find the most simple thematic material, when used in chamber arrangements, to be the most enticing material I've heard from Hans in quite a while (even in some moments beating Inception maybe!), especially the vocal lullaby in the beginning of the score works for me very well. The action music is a rehash of the same old stuff, with some examples that actually work very well for me (Terraforming and If You Love These People, which to me, actually work great in the movie).

There are moments which don't work for me at all, for example the sudden change of tone in Krypton's Last was something I found dodgy on album, but in the film it was even more extreme (with the violin solo, I found, being very, very effective).

The score as heard in film has a generally better mix of the music put in it, there are great string runs in Flight that I couldn't hear on album at all, and cutting it off the album would be a very weird decision. And it's not a very disparaged or weird case of editing, Hans' choice of scoring the scene will be understood when you watch the film.

As heard in film, I generally find the score mostly serviceable, sometimes very effective (the more chamber/simplistic material really works the best in the film for me; also Flight), but also with moments of being just inappropriate (there are several suspense/mild-action scenes that have ostinato-ridden material that sounds stolen from a spy technothriller not far from being the right music... but for a Tom Clancy adaptation).

As heard on album, I also dig the most emotional/simplistic material. Some action music I really like (aforementioned Terraforming and If You Love These People), sometimes it's just too much ostinati. The atmospheric ambient music, semantically associated mostly with Krypton (which I sensed would have been the case), also convinces me. The action and generally the epic stuff, only sometimes.

That said, as much as I love the piano stuff, I just imagined some time ago how would the Clark Kent theme sound on a lone trumpet... and it would be actually quite great.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013 edited
    Chris McEneany's positive review taken from FSM.

flash CONTAINS SPOILERS flash http://www.avforums.com/movies/Man-of-S … track.html flash CONTAINS SPOILERS flash
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. This is ... interesting.

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Timmer wrote

http://www.avforums.com/movies/Man-of-S … track.html

Whoever wants to see the film, this review features HUGE spoilers!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

http://www.avforums.com/movies/Man-of-S … track.html

Whoever wants to see the film, this review features HUGE spoilers!

Edited my post. I spotted a spoiler and stopped reading as I'm seeing the film tomorrow.
  4. There really is no need for spoilers for a film in a music review.

Just a simple summary of what the film is about and a overview of the music with discussion is all that is needed. Detailed dissection of the use of the music in specific scenes to the extent that spoilers are given just shouts over-analysis.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just a simple summary of what the film is about and a overview of the music with discussion is all that is needed. Detailed dissection of the use of the music in specific scenes to the extent that spoilers are given just shouts over-analysis.

If the review is trying to sell iTunes sales or CDs, I agree. If it's trying to make sense of a work of art in its primary originating context, then a detailed analysis of the film against the music is a fair approach, and kind of necessary to hone analytical abilities about how music actually makes films work. I'm not the world's biggest fan of Shore's Lord of the Rings anymore, but the attempt to discern what was going on there at a granular level made me much more attentive to the real art we're privy to with these albums.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    I'm not the world's biggest fan of Shore's Lord of the Rings anymore

HERETIC!!!! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    But now, that you mention it: I plan to enroll for "Dutch, beginners" this fall at our local community college. I want to learn something new once again, and Dutsch seemes a nice supplement for German and English. Also I want to spend my summer break at Texel island next summer and so I will be able order my rolls in Dutch when I go to the baker's in the morning.

cheesy
    Very cool, Volker, and good luck!
    ...it'll be tough though: most Dutchies are SO keen to show off their (presumed) language skills that oftentimes you won't even be able to start in Dutch! Let alone practise it!
    British friends of mine, living here for nigh to nine years now, simply gave up after a few years as every single question they tried to pose in Dutch was invariably answered in English!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

HERETIC!!!! shocked

Well, add another name to the heretic list.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    British friends of mine, living here for nigh to nine years now, simply gave up after a few years as every single question they tried to pose in Dutch was invariably answered in English!

Wait, so do they not speak Dutch?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oddly, very few Brits do, indeed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh. slant
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

HERETIC!!!! shocked

I'm only the twelfth biggest fan. Scanalous, I know. I relinquished my 'biggest fan' credentials back in 2004, I think.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    Oddly, very few Brits do, indeed.

I'm exceptionally good at it when pissed...FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm only the twelfth biggest fan. Scanalous, I know. I relinquished my 'biggest fan' credentials back in 2004, I think.

Despicable!

Peter angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote

flash CONTAINS SPOILERS flash http://www.avforums.com/movies/Man-of-S … track.html flash CONTAINS SPOILERS flash

This review has a lot of ideas that mirrors my own. Hopefully I'll be able to write those down. And, as someone who haven't seen this movie, the music has, so far, been perfectly evocative, of what I thought the movie would be. It seems to be one of the most thematic score that Zimmer had produced, with myriads of melodies and motifs bouncing about. My initial assessment of the score was that it was too ambient and too loud, and too synthesized. And now, while it's still not as orchestra-biased as I wanted, it's still very organic sounding, and there are much nuances that I didn't expect to hear that made every repeated listening a progressively improved experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2013
    Thanks for your Man of Steel review, Southall. An inspiring read.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2013
    One thing for sure is the fact that this movie made a lot of money and probably not very many people in the world got up and left the movie because they couldn't stand the music.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2014
    There's now also a game for Movie Wave
    http://www.goat-simulator.com/
    Kazoo
  8. Love the disclaimer. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2014
    Since I am excited beyond belief at the prospect of John Ottman's new X-Men score, I re-reviewed the first three:

The first one
    The second one
    The third one

I had fully intended to re-review the fourth one as well but now I've realised that would involve me having to listen to it, I don't think I can be bothered. Reviews of the fifth and sixth ones are still recent enough that I don't suppose I would say anything different about them. As if anyone cares.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Powell should have scored at least a second Marvel film. Or all of them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Powell should have scored at least a second Marvel film. Or all of them.

Yeah, I'd have been happy with that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think he should take a sabbatical from sabbaticals.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Southall wrote

WORD!
  9. Southall wrote

He clearly gets paid too much.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube