• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013
    I am proud to announce the newest release from Movie Wave Records:

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3266
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very disappointed by the ommision of the Blankety Blank theme slant

Still, this is the must have release of the year and I'd hope my copy will come signed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I expect an Emmy nomination.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2013
    I knew this would be epic before clicking on it. When Movie Wave Records releases an album, you know you're in for something truly unique.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2013
    I am proud to announce the latest release from Movie Wave Records:

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3591
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh boy... Lets see where this one goes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I may be reading a bit too much into this but there seems to be quite a lot of bitterness behind the humor this time around...I absolutely love all of the previous Movie Wave Records releases but this one seems a mite personal, no?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I got that feeling as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There was no intention for any bitterness... only humour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2013
    (though reading it back it does come across more nastily than I had intended... oops...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I laughed my ass off though wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The "taking a shit" part is pretty harsh, although it still made me laugh.

(And it's true.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It made me laugh biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I'm no big Zimmer fan but I found it a tad harsh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    No doubt originated from the attention the score is getting on social media and the internet? I think that allows a certain ridicule, but like many of Zimmer's scores, I wish it was better orchestrated. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I devoted a tweet to this release.
    Yes, I did.
    It's the kind of guy I am.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I'm no big Zimmer fan but I found it a tad harsh.

I can understand the harshness, the history hasn't been exactly kind recently. Yeah, it's both harsh and funny. At least nobody tells Hans to shut his yap in this thing!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    I can understand the harshness, the history hasn't been exactly kind recently. Yeah, it's both harsh and funny. At least nobody tells Hans to shut his yap in this thing!

Aha! I think I know what that's in reference to...Although it begs the question, what's worse: telling him to shut his yap, or comparing his music to literal shit, twice?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Twice? That makes it excrementally worse!

( lol I slay me!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    After those comments I don't know how you have the nerve to show your faeces around here.
  5. Oh, pooh on all of you.
  6. Well, to be completely honest, I am one of the biggest Hans Zimmer defenders on this forum, which mostly stems from my personal experience with the man himself (there aren't many people in my life who have given me as much as Hans did and I am very, very serious about it). I can say how downright nice he is.

I also understand James' bitterness, which comes not just from his dislike of some (I don't want to even say majority, there are simply Hans Zimmer scores, James dislikes, but his reviews prove to be much warmer to his music than what you may think based on certain statements even here on this forum, I quite strongly disagree with statements that Hans dumbs film music down to the lowest common denominator, I personally think that his innate instinct of what may serve the film the best, though, admittedly, that has waned down recently and I do have a theory about it), but also the experience with Hans himself and some of rather unstable fanboys (or rather a fangirl) under his Dark Knight Rises review.

I can't speak much about the situation (and I definitely try to cut Krisztina off as much as I can, to be honest, she's just a tad too irrational for my tastes, that's putting it delicately), what I can say though is that I was put (not to my own will) in the middle of the situation and I got firsthand knowledge of what really annoyed Hans in it. I am not sure if he read the revised text though and I am grateful that while it didn't change his opinion - why would it - James took my advice to include a missing theme in this review. I can imagine that that particular situation shook quite hard...

I can understand where James comes from, but I think Clemmensen's vitriol is completely uncalled for and not just against Hans - when he dislikes a score, be it Horner, Zimmer or whoever, he tends to get quite personal. He's just biased.

But in general, I dislike the bias of something having to be wrong, just because it doesn't sound the way you want it to. I think Hans' Batman scores suffered a lot of unwarranted criticism just because he didn't take the Elfman path. There is no one right way to score a film. There are many right - and wrong - ones. I personally don't agree with all the choices Hans made in these projects (the music and some of the writing singlehandedly ruined the ending of the second Batman movie for me, I do blame it on Nolan though). What has to be remembered and is often forgotten is that it's the same intellect and the same person who did (sadly) Pirates of the Caribbean 1 and on the other hand - The Thin Red Line, Black Hawk Down and Inception.

I think what personally, if I may finish this slightly incoherent essay with that, makes me stay with being a fan of Hans' music, except The Thin Red Line which makes me eternally loyal to his scores, is the fact that Hans is trying to expand the palette sometimes and that he thinks of how to serve the movie in a not always very orthodox way... I prefer to stick to a composer who tries something new at times and his choices may end up being eventually wrong than a composer who keeps to the same methods and is always right, but you can't discuss his choices at all. The intellectualism makes me also a huge, huge fan of Alexandre Desplat, for example. Desplat has obviously a much bigger palette of musical tools, stemming from his technical proficiency and education, which Hans doesn't have, but I would only like to point out the fact, that in my opinion... Hans, from all the self-taught composers, came the longest way - coming from Bird on a Wire to The Thin Red Line doesn't exactly happen in every career...
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    What has to be remembered and is often forgotten is that it's the same intellect and the same person who did (sadly) Pirates of the Caribbean 1 and on the other hand - The Thin Red Line, Black Hawk Down and Inception.

Oddly enough, I'd much rather throw on Curse of the Black Pearl than any of those three for casual entertainment purposes. punk

I agree that we sometimes forget just how unorthodox Zimmer can be sometimes. The problem is that even in his scores that aren't unorthodox by any stretch of the imagination - The Dark Knight Rises, for instance, or even Inception, which is effective but I think one of the most insanely overrated scores in living memory (and I find it really bizarre that it's the one that gets not only a pass, but a glowing review from James even though I don't think it's significantly better than the scores he ordinarily gives two stars to) - Zimmer has a definite tendency to talk them up as if they're wildly original and something nobody's done before. I'm not saying he isn't capable of innovation, far from it, but for the level of resources and creative freedom he's given by the studios - likely matched by none - I'd honestly rather hear him go back to the Peacemaker days of brainless awesome action music than all this drony stuff that's talked up as intellectual but really, to my ears, isn't all that enjoyable. I like Hans best when he just cuts loose and has fun. But maybe that's just me; I've come to realize the way I appreciate and enjoy film music is relatively "shallow" compared to a lot of you guys here - see the sentence at the top of this post. wink
  8. I always distinguish between the artist and his work. The fact that I don't like too much of Zimmer's recent work (while loving his early scores) does not mean I hold anything against the man personally.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I have to say... this was only a response to the music I've heard from the Superman film, which I thought was horrendous, but which has got people foaming at the mouth with excitement. Feels very much like the emperor's new clothes, to me. There was no underlying intention or resentment or bitterness - only that simple dislike of this particular score and astonishment at the reaction to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You needn't explain anything to me or most people here James.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2013
    But you WILL need to justify your actions to GOD!
    That's my axe right there.
  9. Sound like an expedited passing by St. Peter, and a high five from the Allmighty.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    But you WILL need to justify your actions to GOD!
    :death:

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. Southall wrote
    I have to say... this was only a response to the music I've heard from the Superman film, which I thought was horrendous, but which has got people foaming at the mouth with excitement. Feels very much like the emperor's new clothes, to me. There was no underlying intention or resentment or bitterness - only that simple dislike of this particular score and astonishment at the reaction to it.

The lack of any critical outlook on ANYTHING Zimmer (God, even Sherlock 2 was adored by many people, some of the biggest crap he wrote!) out in the Internet, he ends up being the Justin Bieber of film music.

And yeah - the people who unanimously praise the Zimmer music to Man of Steel (which BTW, I cautiously like), also tend to say that the John Williams theme is, quoting literally, "ridiculous".