• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2013
    The latest public service announcement from moviewave. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2013
    http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3683

One of the best reviews I've ever read. Even though I had no interest in seeing it or listening to the music now I am curious to hear the score at least if for nothing else to validated Southall's opinion.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. While I disagree, it's still a brilliant piece of writing.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Very good review indeed and the same goes for Christian Clemmensen!

But to be honest: I did not liste to the score as of yet and so reading this reviews is like swimming in drydock. Once I have access to the score, and have seen the film, I will return to your reviews and re-evaluate them.

But great writing indeed, one can study here the difference between thoughtful critique and bashing. This goes a bit more for James than for Christian, maybe, just a bit.

Thank you!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If someone would send me a digital file I'd be happy to listen and comment further. Please PM me.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Where can I find Clemmensen's review?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Jaysus, did Clemmensen just confuse steel drums with steel guitars?!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

Cheers Pawel, I'm off out and will read this later beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Better than confusing noise with music.

That wasn't aimed at you, Pawel! hug
  5. Well, I'm sure that was very cathartic for Southall.
  6. I appreciate the review Southall wrote, because it makes some interesting points, which I may not always agree with, but at least these points are being made in a good and sensible, non-attacking way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One of the better reviews I've read. Much better than mine.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013 edited
    I wonder if Zimmer will reply in anyway. I'd be interested to hear his point of view on all of this, especially as you make such a convincing case, James. Maybe his BFF Pawel could point him in the right direction.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013
    My review, if anyone's interested:
    http://www.filmmusicjournal.ch/index.ph … ;Itemid=54

In German only unfortunately.

Enjoy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Most reviewers who actually took the time and effort to not only listen to Man Of Steel (often multiple times) I see write down an analytically powerful and emotionally charged review, setting down exactly what is measureably failing and what they in their opinion dislike.
    Very balanced in other words.

I've been looking around (though admittedly not very hard. This particular subject is just a complete wet cracker to me), but it seems that many (indeed most) rebuttals are on the level of the argumentation of Jihadist monomaniacs!
    While I get that Zimmer is the Justin Bieber of film music (in that he elicits very much the same extremist love-hate relationships and nothing more. I hope. ), it seems incredible that so far no one has been able to come up with any analysis, and thoughtfully phrased concept on why they would consider Man Of Steel such a good (or indeed "awesome") score.

In fact, I am looking forward to Pawel's review (which I'm guessing is going to be in the positive spectrum) to try and simply get it. So TELL me.
    It's not like I'm going to change my mind.
    It's not like anyone has to (on a matter of taste).
    But I'd dearly love to see a proper debate on the powerful points that Cristian C., Basil and James have made, rather than the (at times really disturbingly) overly emotional (out)rage that seems all 'de rigueur' whenever someone criticises Der Zimmer.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. BasilB wrote
    My review, if anyone's interested:
    http://www.filmmusicjournal.ch/index.ph … ;Itemid=54

In German only unfortunately.

Enjoy!

Insgesamt gute review, danke dafür! Aber:

Die Vorgänge rund um Hans Zimmer auf diesem Board waren durchaus nicht "lächerlich" und Bregt hat sich sehr verantwortungsvoll verhalten.
    Von "Weisglut" habe ich hier auch nicht viel mit bekommen, eher von Enttäuschung. Na, ja, Erik haut schon mal auf den Putz, aber das kann man ja einordnen.
    Was James Southall und Christian Clemmensen betrifft, habe ich von beiden selten so eine ausgewogene und sorgfältig argumentierende Kritik gelesen wie zu den scores von "Man of Steel" und von beiden habe ich weiß Gott ne Menge reviews gelesen.
    Die Stücke, die du herausstreichst, sind die am ehesten erträglichen, aber auch die sind viel zu generisch. Das ist nun keine spezielle Zimmer-Kritik, denn generische 0-8-15 Musik kenne ich auch von Williams oder Goldsmith.

Schöne Grüße,
    Volker

(This post is related to BasilB's German language review of Zimmer's "Man of Steel". Since the review is in German I see no point in presenting my answer in English.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    RE: Martijn's points, Volker, can you simply tell me/us whether Basil's review is in the positive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's much in the same vein as James' and Christian's, Timmer.

(Du hattest doch nicht gedacht dass ich nur englisch und hollandisch redete, nah, Volker? wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Timmer wrote
    RE: Martijn's points, Volker, can you simply tell me/us whether Basil's review is in the positive.

Certainly: His review is lukewarm and quite well reasoned. He rates the score 2/5. He hilights a couple of cues a being rather good.
    Basil is critcal about MainTitel's Hans-Zimmer-Thread, how it had to be closed and that there isn't a new thred yet. He calls this "lächerlich / ridiculous". I contradicted him in this point.

Now, I'm in no position to speak for Basil here and I am sure he will have his own say in the course of the day.

Volker
  9. Martijn wrote
    It's much in the same vein as James' and Christian's, Timmer.

(Du hattest doch nicht gedacht dass ich nur englisch und hollandisch redete, nah, Volker? wink )

I was well aware that you speak German, Martin (if you allow the German spelling cheesy ). But now, that you mention it: I plan to enroll for "Dutch, beginners" this fall at our local community college. I want to learn something new once again, and Dutsch seemes a nice supplement for German and English. Also I want to spend my summer break at Texel island next summer and so I will be able order my rolls in Dutch when I go to the baker's in the morning.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Captain Future wrote
    Basil is critcal about MainTitel's Hans-Zimmer-Thread, how it had to be closed and that there isn't a new thred yet. He calls this "lächerlich / ridiculous". I contradicted him in this point.

Why is that important to mention in a review?

However, I said that when a new thread is necessary, anyone is free to create it. I just closed it because of the reasons mentioned in my last post.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think someone should create a new HANS ZIMMER thread, no part II or anything, just a brand new simple fresh start.

As a non Zimmer fan I will not be starting said thread, I would suggest Pawel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would suggest franz_conrad.
  10. does it matter who opens it? smile

I created a new one, so feel free to post in it again
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I would suggest franz_conrad.

I can think of no better choice.............................well, except for Thomas of course wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Why doesn't Bregt just open the old thread, deleted the comments he doesn't like and let's move on.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nevermind!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nevermind!

-Erik-

Exactly! smile
  11. I'ver lost my mind. Now, where did I leave that lying around? dizzy