• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2014
    Well, I had the CLONE WARS feature film soundtrack, and didn't like that at all. The television series I haven't really heard.

Also, I've changed my mind about the OLD REPUBLIC album. After a few tracks in, I realized this isn't very good after all. Lots of directionless textures (typical of many videogame scores).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Well, I had the CLONE WARS feature film soundtrack, and didn't like that at all.

Neither did I.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The French Revolution - Delerue

Magnifique!
  1. Thor wrote
    Lots of directionless textures

Says the board's biggest Cliff Martinez fan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

Martinez is the opposite, actually. Textures, yes, but with clearcut direction, firm beats and coherence.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Captain Future wrote
    I think in later seasons Kiner did some really fine stuff. I wouldn't mind the release of a decent selection. I seem to remember he released music himself on his website. I'll have to check that.

Edit: He did.

I'm enjoying what Kiner is doing with Star Wars: Rebels. It's more "old school" Star Wars fun!

As for Giacchino's Dawn of the Planet of the Apes score, it sure does stick in your head (like Edmund said)!
    Yep, especially after seeing the film at last all I hear is "Da-Da Dum. Dum. Da-Dum" (to quote Edmund's musical quote).
    Very effective scoring there!
  2. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

Martinez is the opposite, actually. Textures, yes, but with clearcut direction, firm beats and coherence.

Yeah, I guess you're right...I find his scores dull for the most part but at least he seems to understand narrative, which is more than I can say for the likes of Trent Reznor.
  3. New in my collection

NP:
    Plein Soleil (1960) - Nino Rota
    Purple Noon; Nur die Sonne war Zeuge

A film based on "The Talented Mr Ripley", Alain Delon being Ripley. A fantastic 60s thriller score that so far flew under my radar. On Universal France.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Fury - Steven Price

Yeah, it's worryingly similar to Gravity and yeah, it doesn't really seem a natural fit for a WWII movie - but there's something oddly fascinating about Price's sound design/manipulations (this coming from someone who's firmly not a fan of "sound design/manipulation" scores). This might be the most easily digestible of the lot so far, actually. I'm not sure I have the same gushing praise for him as Southall and Thor, but I don't know - there's something to this guy's music. I think I need to relisten to all of Gravity again (not just the last three cues like I usually do).
  5. New in my collection

NP: Titan A.E. (2000) - Graeme Revell

I always thought this film was underrated. Also the score always stood out for me. I'm happy there is a legit release now. (I did not know about the bootleg until very recently.) A fine scifi score with a great blend of orchestra, choir and electronics. The technique reminds me of Jerry Goldsmith.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2014
    NP: WAR HORSE (John Williams)

Superb!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

Pure, escapist joy! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RUBY CAIRO - John Barry

JB would have been 81 today.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. NP: The Cider House Rules (1999) - Rachel Portman

It is a bit repetative, but not too much so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Theory of Everything - JJ

Sunny. Happy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2014
    Southall wrote
    The Theory of Everything - JJ

Sunny. Happy.

Agreed. Everything that one wouldn't normally associate with Johan Johansson. Great that he knows how to branch out, although I have a particular attraction towards his more doom-and-gloomy stuff like PRISONERS (a masterpiece) and MCCANNICK.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. NP: Braveheart (1997) - James Horner

Iconic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I prefer the first Braveheart film he worked on from 1995.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2014 edited
    Indeed. The original 95 cut is best.
    I hate the 97 version. Especially when William Wallace steps on Jabba's tail!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Atham wrote

applause Boom! Excellent!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2014
    Assassin's Creed Unity - Chris Tilton

Really like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    Indeed. The original 95 cut is best.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2014 edited
    NP: DA VINCI'S DEMONS, SEASON 2 (Bear McCreary)

This -- and the first-season album -- would have been great had it been been cut down to some 50-60 minutes instead of the ridiculous 120-minute version it is now.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. NP: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - Tyler Bates

Beauty is in the ear of the listener. I like this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Priest - Christopher Young

Great. I love Christopher Young when he does stuff like this.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2014
    A.I. - John Williams

Haven't heard it in so long. All class. Even the intimations of Philip Glass in a couple of places.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - Tyler Bates

Beauty is in the ear of the listener. I like this score.

Totally agree. An excellent score, one of my recent favourites.

His score for The Way still ranks as his finest work to date but he's produced quite a few fine ones of late. His throbbing eerie music for Ti West's The Sacrament is one of the best horror scores I've heard in a long time. Great to see it's getting a CD release too. No idea how it'll hold up away from the film but in context it works magnificently.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David OC wrote
    A.I. - John Williams

Haven't heard it in so long. All class. Even the intimations of Philip Glass in a couple of places.

John Adams more than Philip Glass wink

Brilliant score. I'd buy an expanded in a heartbeat.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE KOVAK BOX - Roque Banos

I love this kind of "mysterioso" scoring. This first caught my ear while watching the so-so film on late night TV a few years ago.
  9. Alexandre Desplat - The Imitation Game

This is good.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website