• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2014
    Assassin's Creed Unity Volume 2 - Sarah Schachner

Very enjoyable. Just as good as Chris Tilton's Volume 1.
  1. Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote
    Yeah -- we're very far apart on the merits of the music itself. But my issue is with the presentation. There's a superb album of some 40-50 minutes here, but nobody even bothers doing this careful programming anymore. I'm actually surprised Martinez didn't bother, because he's usually very good at this stuff. Guess he's caught up in the "trend" too.

Or not really joining the trend. Mind you, games feature a lot more of music writing than films. It can go up to 6 hours (one of my theories about the failure and amount of ghostwriting in Modern Warfare 2, except Zimmer not really supervising the project except writing a theme, which he regretted later, was that they had about a month to score the WHOLE game). Maybe Martinez believed there are more highlights and released what he felt appropriate?

That said, Tyler's Far Cry 3 is one of his recently shortest albums, so maybe I'm wrong smile .

Doesn't really matter how long the film/series/videogame is. I've always felt that there are only some VERY few works and composers in history that are able to stand up to an 80-minute running time on album. Wagner, obviously. Maybe STAR WARS and LOTR. But even in these cases, they would be better served with a more succinct presentation.

The "ideal" average running time for an album experience/singular album work is about 40 minutes (the length of an average symphony or a concept album), IMO. Then you have some leeway one or the other way depending on the thematic richness etc. of the work.

Don't get me wrong. I love Martinez' works, and I think the tracks here are great, but it's NOT rich enough to sustain 80 minutes.

As for FAR CRY 3, I thought that was Power Glove (a great 80's throwback synth score that was presented more or less perfectly on album)?

Tyler wrote the "main" game score. Power Glove scored an expansion, so to speak (I wanted to say downloadable content - DLC - but it was actually sold separately in stores).

I would recommend (it's on Spotify) you the Tyler score, BTW. It's not necessarily a most pleasant score, but I know you value post-rock influences in the genre, so I think at least a few cues could be up your boat. For me Far Cry 3 led to a major reassessment of Tyler as a composer, when it comes to me (while Expendables 2 "prepared it", Far Cry 3 was so off his typical style I noticed there's much more to him than I thought).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Thor wrote
    The "ideal" average running time for an album experience/singular album work is about 40 minutes (the length of an average symphony or a concept album), IMO.

I wake up every morning thanking my stars that Thor doesn't work at a soundtrack release label.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    We celebrate the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall tomorrow. (Edmund, are you in Berlin?)

Yeah, we've got some friends visiting from Frankfurt for that reason so we'll be at Potsdamer Platz (or similar) this evening to watch them release the balloons they've got strung up along the course of the Wall. I think they've got some orchestra playing Ode to Joy at Brandenburger Tor as well (original choice of music rolleyes ...but I guess you can't complain).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    The "ideal" average running time for an album experience/singular album work is about 40 minutes (the length of an average symphony or a concept album), IMO.

I wake up every morning thanking my stars that Thor doesn't work at a soundtrack release label.

I used to feel this way until I realized the only reason i loved complete scores was that most album producers sucked ass at picking the actual highlights, which then only existed on the bootleg complete scores. I would prefer a 40 minute album of ACTUAL highlights to anything longer in 95% of scores, because that would free up time to listen to more new music, rather than wasting my time listening to "droning action loop #495" and waiting to get to the good part.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

So do I. I wouldn't have the time and energy for it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm with Thor, 40 minutes is generally the ideal length for the 'average' score. Far better to have 40 minutes of highlights than 80 minutes of highlights plus filler. Of course, some scores are highlights in their entirety-- but they're rare. Where I probably depart from Thor is that I'm still interested in keeping as much of the narrative of the film in the album as possible (though of course this admits to exceptions, for example the A.I. album works far better than it would have in film order. It all depends on the score.)
  4. For me it's interesting, because usually I prefer a well-prepped album. But then there are scores that I could never listened to on original albums when I acquainted myself with a C&C program (Peacemaker, Star Trek: Insurrection) and in another case (First Blood) hearing the material in a C&C program on the Intrada release (with the additional material consisting of about minute or two, literally) made a very good action score by Jerry raise to my possibly all-time Goldsmith favourite.

That said, I could never appreciate a "well-produced album" of a Golden Age score. I always listen to them in complete and chronological form. While it makes me listen to that period quite rarely (I need to be in the mood for the sheer amount and scale of the music), it presents the full narrative and genius of that particular outlook at the structure of a film score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm the opposite with Golden Age scores, I generally can't stomach a film-order and complete presentation of older scores (especially as there tends to be lots of short cues involved). Golden Age scores are far more enjoyable in suite form. Thank the gods for Charles Gerhardt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Thor wrote
    The "ideal" average running time for an album experience/singular album work is about 40 minutes (the length of an average symphony or a concept album), IMO. Then you have some leeway one or the other way depending on the thematic richness etc. of the work.

This depends entirely on the score in question, its compositional architecture and narrative progression. You can't apply the same rules to all scores.

NP: The Secret Agent - Philip Glass

Rearranged for cello octet. Nice. Has anyone seen this film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jim Ware wrote
    Thor wrote

This depends entirely on the score in question, its compositional architecture and narrative progression. You can't apply the same rules to all scores.

Of course not, but -to answer for Thor- forty minutes, roughly, does tend to be the 'optimal' time for an album since it tends to be long enough to carry a decent narrative, but short enough to be consistently engaging. In Thor's defence, I don't think he's advocating strict rules regardless of the score, but more a general rule of thumb.
  5. Jim Ware wrote
    Thor wrote

NP: The Secret Agent - Philip Glass

Rearranged for cello octet. Nice. Has anyone seen this film?

I haven't, although I've always been intrigued by the pedigree.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jim Ware wrote
    Thor wrote

Yes and no. You might have noticed that I allowed for a little bit of leeway there, depending on the richness of the score. That's fair enough. But I do think there is a rule, of sorts, of the 'ideal' average duration of a single musical work or album (in terms of our attention spans, the 'impulse absorption' of the human mind etc.). It's not accidental that, say, a symphony is of the average length it is; or, in fact, any given non-film music album.

Of course, this is based solely on those who approach this from a purely musical perspective. It's a bit different for those who veer to soundtracks because of the movies and who want to 'preserve' as much music from the film as possible. That's a bit different. In this case, the length may not be much of an issue.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    It's a bit different for those who veer to soundtracks because of the movies and who want to 'preserve' as much music from the film as possible.

In other words, people at the Film Score Monthly messageboard and people who work at soundtrack speciality labels.

(It is sometimes easy to wonder whether those people realise that if they really want to experience the score exactly as heard in the film, they could watch the film.)
  6. Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    It's a bit different for those who veer to soundtracks because of the movies and who want to 'preserve' as much music from the film as possible.

In other words, people at the Film Score Monthly messageboard and people who work at soundtrack speciality labels.

And me. cheesy
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  7. I'm very much of the "present everything and allow listeners to make of it what they will" school of thought. As Scribe said earlier in this thread, I don't trust anyone but myself to pick and choose highlights, simply because I'm always going to have a different opinion of what constitutes a "highlight." The problem with that approach, of course, is that it assumes that people have enough time/energy to assemble their own playlists like that (and most don't, probably). Still, I will always argue that more is better than less. Always.

The ideal thing, of course, would be to always provide two releases: a shorter "concept album" edit and a (more) complete'n'chronological edition, but that's a pipe-dream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm very much of the "present everything and allow listeners to make of it what they will" school of thought. As Scribe said earlier in this thread, I don't trust anyone but myself to pick and choose highlights, simply because I'm always going to have a different opinion of what constitutes a "highlight."

Vice versa, I trust everyone but myself to create a good soundtrack program. For me, soundtrack album production is an artform that has always transcended merely the creation of a playlist of one's favourite tracks. It's like film editing. I can like or dislike how a film is edited, but I prefer to let the editors and filmmakers actually do their job and present their vision before I evaluate. Instead of getting a bunch of raw footage to assemble for myself. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2014 edited
    THE TOPIC THAT WILL NEVER DIE!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAA! devil
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm very much of the "present everything and allow listeners to make of it what they will" school of thought. As Scribe said earlier in this thread, I don't trust anyone but myself to pick and choose highlights, simply because I'm always going to have a different opinion of what constitutes a "highlight."

Vice versa, I trust everyone but myself to create a good soundtrack program. For me, soundtrack album production is an artform that has always transcended merely the creation of a playlist of one's favourite tracks. It's like film editing. I can like or dislike how a film is edited, but I prefer to let the editors and filmmakers actually do their job and present their vision before I evaluate. Instead of getting a bunch of raw footage to assemble for myself. smile

This would make sense if soundtrack album editors actually considered this to be their job, but most of them almost certainly don't.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. Thor wrote
    It's like film editing. I can like or dislike how a film is edited, but I prefer to let the editors and filmmakers actually do their job and present their vision before I evaluate. Instead of getting a bunch of raw footage to assemble for myself. smile

I guess I just don't see it that way. With a film, you pretty much have to watch it from beginning to end, so sitting down to six hours of raw footage just doesn't make any sense. But I don't feel any such obligation with a film score. Yes, I appreciate it when an album flows and has good narrative - and there are plenty of scores I listen to from beginning to end all the time - but more often than not I see a score as simply being a collection of music from which I can pick and choose highlights to revisit later (or not). From that perspective, I want everything to be available so that I know I'm not missing out on anything, even if I rarely or never come back to some or even most of that material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, therein lies our fundamental difference in approach to this weird interest of ours. I think a soundtrack album is a singular and independent piece of artwork -- conceived by an artist (preferably the composer, but sometimes the record producer) and based on the 'raw material' that is the film's music. Just as en editor puts the film together based on the raw material that is the filmed footage. I don't think 'a collection of invidual cues', I think 'overall concept album idea'.

While everyone and their grandmother can put together a playlist of their favourite tracks, this is not what soundtrack album production is about, IMO. The art consists of adapting music from one medium to the other, just as a screenwriter adapts a novel to film (picking and choosing relevant bits to work in a filmatic rhythm). In this new medium, the material has to be re-organized to work properly based on the new medium's terms.

It's fascinating how an activity such as soundtrack listening can be experienced in so radically different ways!
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I have come to almost always listen to an album from start to end, C&C or not. I don't make suites and I seldom listen to main theme playlists anymore like I did when I first dived into this hobby more then 20 years ago.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2014
    Same here. If time allows, I'll always press 'play' and listen to the album from start to finish. Which is why the organization of the material is so important to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The music a composer writes for a film is not raw material. It's a fully realized piece of music. The raw material is the sketch. Until it's orchestrated and fully performed it's still in its raw stage. Once performed it's finished. Sure you can pick away at it and craft something new... You can even do that with a completed movie (all the fan cut of the Star Wars prequels) but the music as recorded on the stage is a complete fully realized piece of music as the composer intended it to be.

Look I have no problem with a 40-50 minute presentation of a score but when composers and/or music editors start chopping up cues to form shorter versions or combining cues that have zero relevance to each other is when I get pissed off. Glaring examples of awful and unnecessary edits that destroyed the pieces meaning and story arc are "Sarah's Rescue" from The Lost World and "The Desert Chase" from Raiders. You don't get the true sense of the composition by cutting those brilliant tracks up. Imagine snipping out portions of a Beethoven or Mozart symphony. Blasphemous!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    The music a composer writes for a film is not raw material. It's a fully realized piece of music.

Well, you seem to be missing the point. When you're talking about the music as it appears in the film, then yes, it's a fully realized piece of music with a specific intention inside a fully realized film scene. But the moment you remove the music from its original medium, you automatically remove its status as a fully realized piece. Then it becomes raw material again that IMO should be shaped and molded according to the "rules" of the new medium. Two different media, two different set of rules.

But I do (sort of) agree with you on the second point. I also prefer it when they don't mess around INSIDE the cues themselves. Just let them be. The MAIN thing is to select and find a sensible sequence of the existing tracks. But I'm not as annoyed by this as you. If these 'inside changes' result in a more fluid listening experience overall (for example letting the cue end in a way that makes the transition to the next one more smooth), then I have no problem with that either.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    The music a composer writes for a film is not raw material. It's a fully realized piece of music. The raw material is the sketch. Until it's orchestrated and fully performed it's still in its raw stage. Once performed it's finished. Sure you can pick away at it and craft something new... You can even do that with a completed movie (all the fan cut of the Star Wars prequels) but the music as recorded on the stage is a complete fully realized piece of music as the composer intended it to be.

Look I have no problem with a 40-50 minute presentation of a score but when composers and/or music editors start chopping up cues to form shorter versions or combining cues that have zero relevance to each other is when I get pissed off. Glaring examples of awful and unnecessary edits that destroyed the pieces meaning and story arc are "Sarah's Rescue" from The Lost World and "The Desert Chase" from Raiders. You don't get the true sense of the composition by cutting those brilliant tracks up. Imagine snipping out portions of a Beethoven or Mozart symphony. Blasphemous!

-Erik-

Is the complete Rescuing Sarah available somewhere? It's very high among my favourite Williams action tracks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2014
    The Homesman - Marco Beltrami

He's knocked this one well and truly out the park. Wow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    The music a composer writes for a film is not raw material. It's a fully realized piece of music.

Well, you seem to be missing the point. When you're talking about the music as it appears in the film, then yes, it's a fully realized piece of music with a specific intention inside a fully realized film scene. But the moment you remove the music from its original medium, you automatically remove its status as a fully realized piece. Then it becomes raw material again that IMO should be shaped and molded according to the "rules" of the new medium. Two different media, two different set of rules.

I don't agree with you on that definition. The music is telling a story both in the film AND on its own. The music is inspired by something - visuals or an idea - the same way a concert piece is inspired by an idea, a piece of literature or something else that triggers the creative process. We should be allowed to hear that music away from the film in it's complete form (I'm not talking about the complete score here... just the cue) just as a classical lover would want to hear a complete piece from their favourite opera, for instance, on album away from the stage.

However, in saying that, a slight reorganization of the cues (as written without any editing within the cues) doesn't REALLY bother me anymore. For instead having an end credit cue begin an album is a great way to introduce the listener to the themes they will experience during the course of the albums playing time.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Then it seems we're actually in somewhat of agreement here, although we're obviously still far apart on the whole C&C debate (but that's probably because I'm further to the 'A&A' [arranged and abbreviated] side than any other film music fan on the face of the earth).

I like to preserve the cues themselves too, but unlike you I'm also open to slight edits as long as everything makes sense and flows nice on an album level. The aspect of 'keeping to an original' has never meant that much me.
    I am extremely serious.