• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2014
    Adaptation - Carter Burwell

Evidence of the composer's voice in every note - full of very Burwellian idiosyncrasies in other words. Not his greatest score but it has plenty of back and forths between the two main thematic ideas and with quite a few interestingly offbeat variations. There's also a lovely, 'softer' little theme that pops up about 3 times that I love too - a shame it isn't more fleshed out.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    If something as great as The Terminal is rarely mentioned then it's underrated in my books. I hope everyone on this board owns it. It's superb!

-Erik-

I do and I like it a lot. I always thought of it as Johnny Williams meets Henry Mancini. I need to revisit it.
    The animated opening sequence of the film with the music in context is awsome btw.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think you're getting it confused with Catch Me If You Can (and possibly Tintin).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I must admit that I don't hear that much Mancini in THE TERMINAL either. It's pure Williams in 'melodrama' mode.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There may be a touch of that Mancini whimsical style but it's a comparison at a stretch. I can hear where the Captain is coming from though.

It is a lovely score, totally charming as has been described, but I don't play it much. I guess it's easy to overlook rather than underrate when the resume of John Wiliams is so great and so brilliant.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    There may be a touch of that Mancini whimsical style but it's a comparison at a stretch. I can hear where the Captain is coming from though.

It is a lovely score, totally charming as has been described, but I don't play it much. I guess it's easy to overlook rather than underrate when the resume of John Wiliams is so great and so brilliant.

I'm afraid it's Steven who knows where I'm coming from. I was indeed thinking of CATCH ME IF YOU CAN. shame
    THE TERMINAL is a rather introspective score if I remember correctly, much like MUNICH. I have to revisit those later scores by the maestro.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Er...The Terminal is nothing like Munich. uhm (For one, it's actually enjoyable.)
  3. New in my collection

NP: The Monuments Men (2014) - Alexandre Desplat

Heroic music composed by Desplat, orchestrated by William Ross and performed by the LSO. For some reason this flew under my radar so far. Very enjoable!
    Also there is track called "Siegen Mine". I work in a school in Siegen which is 25 km south of where I live.

Volker
  4. Steven wrote
    Er...The Terminal is nothing like Munich. uhm (For one, it's actually enjoyable.)

Well, as I said, I need to revisit these scores. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yuh...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I'm afraid it's Steven who knows where I'm coming from.

Glad that's cleared up then.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Why?

I did not imagine my TERMINAL CD was quite that valualbe:

http://www.amazon.de/Terminal-Soundtrac … l+Williams

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2014 edited
    NP: The Illusionist - Philip Glass

From an odd period in his film scoring career. Unusually lush for a Glass score, it's interesting to see his style crammed into short cues - The Orange Tree is a highlight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Always John Williams

I'm probably in the minority of people who loves this score. It's very relaxing. Plus it has one of Williams' 'funnest' cues; Follow Me. It's a crowd pleaser.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2014
    Steven wrote
    Always John Williams

I'm probably in the minority of people who loves this score. It's very relaxing. Plus it has one of Williams' 'funnest' cues; Follow Me. It's a crowd pleaser.

"Follow Me" and "Dorinda Solo Flight" are great showstoppers, and they fooled me completely. They were on the FILMWORKS compilation that I got in 1995 -- one of my first-ever Williams CD's -- so I naturally thought the whole ALWAYS score was like that. Imagine my surprise when I got the CD and half of it was country songs (including a hundred different versions of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes") and the other half was meandering, abstract textures. Except those two cues.

Well, in later years -- with my change in taste -- I've actually come to appreciate this part of the album too. I never thought I would say it, but I actually like the ALWAYS album these days.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2014 edited
    Meandering abstract textures. Isn't that what you live for these days? Is that why you like it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Meandering abstract textures. Isn't that what you live for these days? Is that why you like it?

Probably, yeah.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm very drunk, so whatever you say makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Really?

Steven loves our lord, Jesus Christ. It is written. And it makes sense.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Alcohol lowers my inhibitions, not my intelligence.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Always John Williams

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say I haven't listened to this in over 15 years or more. Didn't like it back then so maybe it is time for reappraisal?
  6. NP: Mr. Turner - Gary Yershon

This isn't a particularly upbeat nor happy sort of a score. Very sombre in places too.

Although 21 tracks from this score is included in the new Varese release, the music only runs to just under an hour. The label has decided to pair it with another one of Mike Leigh's films, A Running Jump - a comedy short from 2012. Considering it's paired with Mr. Turner, I can't think of another pairing that's so inappropriately matched. Surely they could have found another Mike Leigh film rather than A Running Jump. Or, perhaps the idea was to lighten the mood after Mr. Turner?

Varese's earlier pairing of Leigh's Another Year and Happy-Go-Lucky seemed to work a bit better.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2014
    NP: BOMBAY (A.R. Rahman)

One of Rahman's best!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

One of Rahman's best!

I don't know anything of Rahman's film music beyond Slumdog Millionaire ( which I like ), I should check out some more. What would you recommend Thor?
  7. I recommend COUPLES RETREAT! The music is rediculously better than its accompanying film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

One of Rahman's best!

I don't know anything of Rahman's film music beyond Slumdog Millionaire ( which I like ), I should check out some more. What would you recommend Thor?

Anything he did for Mani Ratnam. For example the 'terrorist trilogy' of which BOMBAY is part. Here is the famous Bombay theme. The others in the trilogy are ROJA and DIL SE. Obviously, there's LAGAAN -- the big score that put him on the international film score scene in 2001, bridging the gap between India and the west.

Also BOSE - THE FORGOTTEN HERO and WARRIORS OF HEAVEN AND EARTH.

I believe many of these are available on Spotify.

I never cared much for SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, to be honest, but he's done some smokin' work in Bollywood and is now starting to compose interesting things in Hollywood as well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Night & Day John Williams

Pure class.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Night & Day John Williams

Pure class.

Love the Boston Pops albums, even though Williams' personal input is minimal.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: INTERSTELLAR (Hans Zimmer)

Superb! Delicious minimalism for the win!
    I am extremely serious.