• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: La Malédiction du Titanic / Titanic: beyond the curse (2004) - Maximilien Mathevon
    On Spotify

This is lovely!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Last Tango In Paris - Gato Barbieri

A little late night listening. This, IMO, is an essential jazz film score. Superb! Very much in the same league as other steamy jazz scores like WILD THINGS by George S. Clinton and BODY HEAT by John Barry.

-Erik-

You surprise me. smile
    You may like Preisner's score for DAMAGE if you like that one.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2014
    I never cared much for LAST TANGO on disc, but I think it's very fascinating -- and at times incomprehensible in terms of application in the film.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Last Tango In Paris - Gato Barbieri

A little late night listening. This, IMO, is an essential jazz film score. Superb! Very much in the same league as other steamy jazz scores like WILD THINGS by George S. Clinton and BODY HEAT by John Barry.

-Erik-

Gato played sax for Lalo Schifrin on piano.

There's a very Michel Legrand sound about Last Tango.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    2001: A Space Odyssey Alex North

Intriguing. I'd love to hear this in the film itself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Someone did put up a list of how to spot it to the film. I don't know where it is though.

A shame North never got to write for the final half of the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. There are some clips on Youtube with the score re-inserted.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Someone did put up a list of how to spot it to the film. I don't know where it is though.

A shame North never got to write for the final half of the film.

Yeah. Kudos to North and shame on Kubrick for how he treated him, but ... I prefer the classical music by far. No one beats Strauss (both) and Ligeti. The temp track is bleeding throung North's score in an irritating way. I'm sure Kubrick is the one to blame not North but anyhow. Had North been given a free hand in scoring this movie it might be another story altogether.
    This is my favourite film with a classical soundtrack, rivaled only by Excalibur.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with you on both these films Captain, I really like North's score a lot but I have ne desire for it to be reinstated in the film.
  5. Steven wrote

I had a go at this once, and I use it for classes still. It's hard to do perfectly because film we know is 17
    Mins shorter than then one North scored. Happy to upload the opening 45 mins for your perusal some if you're curious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Definitely! shocked
  6. Sure, let's go to PM's. I'll get it up by the end of the week. (I haven't watched the whole thing in a while. I wonder, with a bit more editing experience, whether I'd agree with the calls I made back in 2008 about all this.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sold! beer
  7. NP: Battlestar Galactica - Saga of A Star World (1978) - Stu Phillips / Glen A. Larson
    Intrada Edition

This is orchestrated much in the same way Williams' SW score of the previous year is. Still I don't hear a pastiche here as others seem to. Rather both composers stand on the same shoulders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Sure, let's go to PM's. I'll get it up by the end of the week.

Blimey, what kind of PMs are you two having?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The spark in our relationship has definitely died out, it would appear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2014
    Into Stella Hands Zimmer

Having next to no knowledge about Glass, I'll just have to take people's word for it that it was one the influences. I do however hear some Hornerisms. But overall, it's undeniably Zimmer. It's fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014
    Jazz Beginnings John Williams

I much prefer the more intimate sound of these recordings over his bigger Boston jazzy albums, great though they are. Jazz is much better when it feels like it's been recorded in a smokey, small little bar.

I love this album.

Also, this is John Williams. So fuck you, it's on topic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

I much prefer the more intimate sound of these recordings over his bigger Boston jazzy albums, great though they are. Jazz is much better when it feels like it's been recorded in a smokey, small little bar.

I love this album.

He, he...well on-topic or not, it's a superb album and IMO one of the most important archival film music-related releases in the last 15 years. It also contains Williams' two earliest compositions that have been recorded -- "Hello" and "Aunt Orsavella" recorded in October-1956.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  8. applause
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A Million Ways to Die in the West - Joel McNeely

I'd forgotten how much fun this is.
  9. Hans Zimmer - Interstellar

Finally I can speak about this score and I guess it'll come as no surprise that I really love this one. A very good, restrained film score, which leads itself to a better album than I imagined. It will mark another Hans score that speaks directly to my heart, and why wouldn't it. I love how precise Hans is about the scoring here. Everybody complains about the docking sequence or rather the lack of it on album, but to me the fast piano/organ runs in Coward on the one hand, and on the other hand... some very simple stuff like the piano/harp "dialogue" in Afraid of Time, the classicist/romantic Message from Hone, which is a piece of ascetic beauty or even the clinically precise Wormhole make up for it to me.

I just love it, very Romantic, very ambient, precise and emotional at the same time. And for Hans standards quite organic with the electronics mostly retained in pad form in the middle registers.

A beauty.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I was also surprised by how well it held up on album. I adored it in the film, but had a feeling it would feel lacklustre on album.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I love this album.

It's John T. Williams you arrogant twat!

Good album that I really like though I would say it verges halfway between the "smokey, small little bar" and the hotel foyer piano lounge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I love this album.

It's John T. Williams you arrogant twat!

Good album that I really like though I would say it verges halfway between the "smokey, small little bar" and the hotel foyer piano lounge.

Which is my kind of jazz. I'm not too fond of it when it gets too gritty.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    The Boxtrolls - Dario Marianelli

After seeing the film I can really appreciate this wonderful score.
    Good to hear Marianelli in action mode here too!
  10. NP: nothing sad

It's parent's day and I'll be sitting in a classroom till 7 pm. Because I only teach upper classes this year no one is gonna show up. So I sit hear, preparing tests, correcting papers, waiting for surprise visitors.

Volker