• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: nothing sad

It's parent's day and I'll be sitting in a classroom till 7 pm. Because I only teach upper classes this year no one is gonna show up. So I sit hear, preparing tests, correcting papers, waiting for surprise visitors.

Volker

Really? I thought it was mandatory for parents and pupils to attend these. At least it was way back when I was in upper secondary, millennia ago.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014
    NP : INTERSTELLAR - Hans Zimmer

Come the end of the year and this may well end up being my favourite score of 2014.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

It's John T. Williams you arrogant twat!

Good album that I really like though I would say it verges halfway between the "smokey, small little bar" and the hotel foyer piano lounge.

biggrin

You're right, of course. shame But yes, that's a very accurate description. Can you recommend anything else like this? (Film music related or no.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    John Williams himself did LOADS of these albums in the 50s and early 60s. See the bar on the left handside here (that's just a selection, btw):

http://www.jw-collection.de/early/early_index.htm
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: nothing sad

It's parent's day and I'll be sitting in a classroom till 7 pm. Because I only teach upper classes this year no one is gonna show up. So I sit hear, preparing tests, correcting papers, waiting for surprise visitors.

Volker

Really? I thought it was mandatory for parents and pupils to attend these. At least it was way back when I was in upper secondary, millennia ago.

No, it's not mandatory in Germany. You can make it mandatory but that's done rather seldom. Still many of my secondary level students are about 16 years old. So their parents should show some interest especially if their teenage children's marks are desolate. Well. what can you do?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. I had Horner's Troy in the mail today. I'll listen to it tonight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Jazz Beginnings John Williams

I much prefer the more intimate sound of these recordings over his bigger Boston jazzy albums, great though they are. Jazz is much better when it feels like it's been recorded in a smokey, small little bar.

Wrong.
    The only thing better than 10 pieces of brass is TWENTY pieces of brass!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. No need to get brassed off.

ahem
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

I much prefer the more intimate sound of these recordings over his bigger Boston jazzy albums, great though they are. Jazz is much better when it feels like it's been recorded in a smokey, small little bar.

Wrong.

biggrin

In most cases, yes. But sometimes it's nice to have a more 'intimate' sound, more suited to background listens. I don't think a full symphonic orchestra is as suited to restaurant settings as this album. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Assassin's Creed Unity - Chris Tilton

Tilton in Giacchino-mode meets Jesper Kyd's music for the earlier entries in the series. Extremely entertaining, far better than I expected!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Good album that I really like though I would say it verges halfway between the "smokey, small little bar" and the hotel foyer piano lounge.

biggrin

You're right, of course. shame But yes, that's a very accurate description. Can you recommend anything else like this? (Film music related or no.)

How did Williams credit himself on the early jazz albums? Was it John T.? Johnny? How did "Johnny Williams" come about?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Timmer wrote

Come the end of the year and this may well end up being my favourite score of 2014.

Have you seen the film yet? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

biggrin

How did Williams credit himself on the early jazz albums? Was it John T.? Johnny? How did "Johnny Williams" come about?

It was a bit all over the place. In the beginning, it was just John Williams (YOU ARE WELCOME, DADDY-O), then in the 'album days' it was sometimes John T., sometimes John Towner, sometimes Johnny, sometimes just John.

Interestingly, on his very first tv screen credit, on the episode "The Trap" of M SQUAD (aired on October 24th, 1958), he is credited as John T. Williams Jr., probably to differentiate him from his -- at the time -- more famous father.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

Have you seen the film yet? smile

Nope.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Wrong.

biggrin

In most cases, yes. But sometimes it's nice to have a more 'intimate' sound, more suited to background listens. I don't think a full symphonic orchestra is as suited to restaurant settings as this album. dizzy

Yup! Me like both cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

biggrin

Hmmmm? A tougher question than it sounds. I love that Williams album, it's superbly played and very melodic, I could have described it the other way around and said it was Hotel foyer lounge jazz with an edge!? ( not an insult btw, both Henry Mancini and John Barry are masters of tracks like that )

Miles Davis album Kind of Blue was the very first thing that came to my head ( and the most obvious to anyone who knows jazz ), this, IMO, is what "real" smoky, small bar, half empty whisky bottle on the table jazz is about.

There's loads more, I'll have to have a think.
  6. NP: Troy (2004) -James Horner

I don't know more than snippets of that rejected score so I can't make any comparisons. The danger motif is all over the place. This might be enspired by Vaughan Williamsm, Britton or Shostacovich. It IS a fracking great listening experiance. Vintage Horner.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE GUEST (various)

A 2014 outing, but a brilliant pastiche over 80's 'home invasion' thrillers. The score is bloody brilliant -- gorgeous electropop, including Norwegian artist Annie. Volker and other fans of 80s synthpop and more contemporary 'indie' electro -- you need to check out this album. Seriously.

http://www.amazon.com/Guest-Original-Mo … =the+guest
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Troy (2004) -James Horner
    This might be enspired by Vaughan Williamsm, Britton or Shostacovich. It IS a fracking great listening experiance. Vintage Horner.

You're forgetting Prokofiev. "Battle on the Ice" vs. "The Greek Army and its Defeat".

Also, that bit I quoted of yours pretty much sums up Horner's entire career, right there. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2014 edited
    Othello Symphony Elliot Goldenthal

A distillation of everything I love about Goldenthal. This is an endlessly facinating work. I can easily give this 5 stars. Love it.

Again, posting it in this thread as it will surely appeal to fans of Goldenthal scores.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2014
    Blood - Mark Mancina

Fairly simple but very accessible with a solid main theme and good balance in terms of action music. Ridiculously fun overall.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - Graeme Revell

A superb, if short (35 mins) CD, really shows the range Revell has but is rarely acknowledged for - or ever called on to use these days. This and Street Fighter are both excellent orchestral scores that despite a traditional, somewhat familiar sound are very enjoyable listens.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

Very good.

Hans should give up film scoring and just make albums.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Exploring 60s Jerry. The Sand Pebbles and The Blue Max right after another are a knockout punch.
  8. ^ Which inspires me to

NP: Lonely are the Brave (1962) - Jerry Goldsmith

This intimate, melancholic score with a heart wrenching main theme is the earliest Goldsmith score I own.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Josh B wrote
    Exploring 60s Jerry. The Sand Pebbles and The Blue Max right after another are a knockout punch.

Two scores of pure class Josh beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014 edited
    Spinning Interstellar again. This will probably make my year end Top 10 list. I really HAVE to see the film.

Anyway, I'm loving the cue "I'm Going Home." Not too many people can pull off a cue like this. It reminds me a bit of Williams' tranquil "Fortress of Solitude" from Superman: The Movie or Desplat's superb "Circles" from The Tree of Life. Lots of great textures but the cue is always pulsing along making the almost 6 minute journey seem like 2 minutes. Some genuinely good composing right there.

I really love Zimmer in this mode. The more intimate, the most personal the better, IMO. That's why I love his smaller scores, which I think is his forte and something I'm sure he would love to explore more often.

-Erik-

PS - Loving the "Horner rolling pianos" that are quite prominent in the score!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    ^ Which inspires me to

NP: Lonely are the Brave (1962) - Jerry Goldsmith

This intimate, melancholic score with a heart wrenching main theme is the earliest Goldsmith score I own.

Volker

Nice! I've heard that one a couple of times but it hasn't grown on me too much. Going to give it some more chances.

Two scores of pure class Josh

The Blue Max is the more easily accessible one (especially since I already loved the suite) but The Sand Pebbles reveals more with each listen. I'm just about to finish the '60s Goldsmith that I own (making a compilation) and I've found a lot of great stuff. Southall's reviews are a great resource. He has by far the biggest collection of Goldsmith reviews and is so passionate about the composer.

Aside from the scores I've already mentioned, I was also blown away by Planet of the Apes ("The Hunt" and "No Escape" are about as aggressive as film music gets) and The Chairman (Great action music and wonderful ethnic touches).

Gonna start to explore the '70s soon and I'm very excited about this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014
    What can I say Josh? Happy exploring. A brilliant decade of scores awaits.
  9. Timmer wrote

Very good.

Hans should give up film scoring and just make albums.

FACT! cheesy

Now playing it. It was in the mail this morning. Awsome. Zimmer on top of his game!