• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2014
    Best. Christmas. Ever.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. NP: 27 Aprile 2014: Racconto di Un Evento - Franco Eco

A bit of a varied one this. Mostly traditional orchestra but there's also tracks with contemporary electric guitar, drums and pop beats, Gregorian chant as well as African rhythms.

It's music written for an Italian documentary whose subject is the celebration of the canonization of Pope John XXIII and Pope John Paul II.

The score is available on Spotify.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Accuracy is overrated.

Holy shit that was funny. lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. NP: Interstellar (2014) - Zimmers Hansi

To me it seems like Zimmer wanted to compile this score of vintage sounds. The church organ is a given, also the piano. The flute sound at the very beginning sounds like a Fairlight CMI sound, the other synth sounds sound "analog", Moog like. The natural instruments sound like natural instruments, amazingly enough.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Actually, a lot of the wind-like sounds are real winds, just played weirdly.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Civilization: Beyond Earth - Griffin Cohen, Michael Curran, Grant Kirkhope and Geoff Knorr

The best video game score of 2014, IMO. It's also one of THE best scores of the year. Hats off to the composing team of Griffin Cohen, Michael Curran, Grant Kirkhope and Geoff Knorr. An almost 3 hour album that flies by in no time. Solo cello, electronics, choir and a massive symphony orchestra combine to create one of the most emotional musical experiences of the year! Brilliant stuff!

-Erik-

I'm listening to this again and I can't for the life of me cut out any cue for a "better listening experience." The only cues I did skip were the tracks labelled ambient. The rest is one highlight after another. This is rare case were the "complete" score plays perfectly... At least for me it does. This is my favourite score of the year.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Yes, the "ambient" were edited out of my playlist quite early on. The rest is really strong and if only these tracks were released then the album as a whole would have been near the top for the year.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2014 edited
    It will probably be in my top 5 game scores too, despite the problems with the presentation.

But it's a FAR cry from my favourite score in the category this year -- Jesper Kyd's glorious 80s synthpop score for BORDERLANDS: THE PRE-SEQUEL. And speaking of far cry, Martinez' FAR CRY 4 is ahead of it too -- although that also struggles from poor presentation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Interview With A Vampire - Elliot Goldenthal

There is only one word to describe this score... BRILLIANT! Goldenthal's musical voice is very much missed in film these days!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Interview With A Vampire - Elliot Goldenthal

There is only one word to describe this score... BRILLIANT! Goldenthal's musical voice is very much missed in film these days!

-Erik-

A rather good film too. I watched it again recently. Goldenthal's score works superbly in and out of the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2014 edited
    A spectacular last-minute replacement score. Apparently George Fenton's score was 'too dark'.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-12-04/ … rge-fenton
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: War Horse - John Williams

Gorgeous!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I made the mistake of underestimating that one when it first came out. Idiot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2014
    NP: The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn - John Williams

Brilliant!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pure. Fucking. Class.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    i have a story to tell about INTERV>IEWQ with the VAMPURe and Goldenthal. I'll tell it tooroww when I'm sober.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Drunk Thor!!! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Dunk Thor!!! punk

Good idea! In ice cold fjord water.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's a little disappointing Thor apparently passed out after merely three posts.
    I am seriously considering for asking a refund on my entertainment tax.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. NP: Koyaanisqatsi (1982) - Philip Glass

One of my academic teachers used to rave about this film which seemingly was some kind of revelation for him. He took great pride in the fact that he was the only one in his family who recognised the film's artistic significance. I never knew his wife but I always pittied her because I imagined how he would lecture her time and again. smile

Next: Mission to Mars (2000) - Ennio Morricone
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    I never knew his wife but I always pittied her because I imagined how he would lecture her time and again. smile

biggrin applause

I think we all knew (and if we're unlucky know) people like that at some point in our lives.
  6. Jim Ware wrote
    A spectacular last-minute replacement score. Apparently George Fenton's score was 'too dark'.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-12-04/ … rge-fenton

It's quite astounding to think that a Fenton score was too dark and they got Goldenthal, that beacon of light and fluffiness of all people, to replace it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

I imagine Fenton reacted to the darkness by making the music equally dark, whereas Goldenthal had a bit of fun with it with his more 'macabre' sensibilities. Great score!
  7. Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I never knew his wife but I always pittied her because I imagined how he would lecture her time and again. smile

biggrin applause

I think we all knew (and if we're unlucky know) people like that at some point in our lives.

Annoyingly, he's right about the film. That's quite the thing to see on the bigscreen. These days it would probably seem sub - David Attenborough on the small screen.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thor wrote
    i have a story to tell about INTERV>IEWQ with the VAMPURe and Goldenthal. I'll tell it tooroww when I'm sober.

shame

The story wasn't particularly interesting, by the way. I don't know what I was thinking last night. It's basically just an incident from Krakow a couple of years ago, where I was sitting alone with Goldenthal in a huge, darkened staircase and doing my interview when a big group of young boys walked by. It was the boy's choir that was going to perform the segments from INTERVIEW in the concert later that evening.

A great personal memory, but hardly an interesting story.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Then what the fuck are we paying you for!?
  8. I believe that's the only occasion I have ever seen Thor recant anything. This is like time bending backwards on itself in my universe. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, Sober Thor will not vouch for the opinions forwarded by Drunk Thor. Except maybe occasionally referring to himself in the third person.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I already miss drunk Thor.
  9. Thor wrote
    Well, Sober Thor will not vouch for the opinions forwarded by Drunk Thor. Except maybe occasionally referring to himself in the third person.

Why be unequivocal about this? Is there no humour in this man? dizzy