• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2014
    One of the year's best, certainly.
  1. Indeed! Everybody spoke about Morricone and Glass. I hear a lot of Brian Eno. For everyone who loves ambient electronica as I do this is bliss. I cherrish the organ-like passages that have a Pink-Floyd-Tangerine-Dream like feel about them. Great album!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. I'm loving it (via youtube).
    Like INCEPTION, it's actually just that bit better as a concept album than it is as a film score. (That one's probably the better film score.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2014 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm loving it (via youtube).
    Like INCEPTION, it's actually just that bit better as a concept album than it is as a film score. (That one's probably the better film score.)

Not in my opinion. Both are great as both, but INTERSTELLAR gets the 'in-context' award if I had to choose between the two.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I think the La Vie En Rose 'fugue' is hard to beat as a bit of musical storytelling. And the love theme in Inception is dynamite in context too, but maybe that's got something to do with Marion Cotillard being a stronger presence than the Interstellar characters. It's hard for story to not rub off on everything around it in the end. As music I prefer this new album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've always been more about colours, moods, tableaux etc. than the storytelling, and in that respect I think they're pretty even (but maybe with the edge towards INTERSTELLAR because it's allowed to carry so much on its own).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Yeah, you say that, but those colours, tableaux, moods (that's an art form?!) are nearly always in reference to story objects if I'm not mistaken. I never see you going on about The Color of Pomegranates or Carlos Saura dance films. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Yeah, you say that, but those colours, tableaux, moods (that's an art form?!) are nearly always in reference to story objects if I'm not mistaken. I never see you going on about The Color of Pomegranates or Carlos Saura dance films. wink

Then you're not watching closely enough, because I do watch many such films every year too (but it's not something that is easily discussed in the fora we frequent). But I have a PARTICULAR attraction towards arthouse aeshtetics inside the Hollywood narratives, I'll give you that.

In INTERSTELLAR, there are many scenes carried only by visuals and music. There are some in INCEPTION too, but not to the same extent. INCEPTION is noisier, in a way.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    For franz -- here's my ranking of the films released in 2014 in Norway that I've seen so far:

https://mubi.com/lists/2014-films--6
    I am extremely serious.
  5. At the risk of perpetuating an argument that can come to no good, that's at least 90% narrative fiction, if I'm not mistaken. wink (And that 10% is the 10% I don't know, so they could be too for all I know.)

Gotta say this though... God that's a a weird list. If you threw Armond White, David Bordwell and a randomly selected human who'd never seen a film into a blender you wouldn't get a list like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he....well, I take that as a compliment.

What is narrative or not, and what weight is put on story in favour of other things (and vice versa) is up for debate. I think several of the titles on the list have elements that pull in each direction, at least.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Heading back to INTERSTELLAR... I can well imagine that sections of this are going to be the most temp-tracked pieces of the years to come. smile
  7. Thor, why is Guardians of the Galaxy so low? Just out of curiosity, because it felt like everyone and their mother loved that movie (and I did too).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor, why is Guardians of the Galaxy so low? Just out of curiosity, because it felt like everyone and their mother loved that movie (and I did too).

Well, several reasons. First of all because I'm an extremely serious person with no sense of humour. Second because I prefer 'pure' sci fi and not when it's mixed with too many other genres, especially not comedy. Third I felt it was too 'nagging' and grating in its mise-en-scene and tone mix.

Simply not a film that's my cup of tea, so to speak.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2014 edited
    Oh, and another one for franz -- here's a list of ALL feature films I've seen in 2014 (both old and new), listed from 'most recent' viewing and backwards. Not ranked:

https://mubi.com/lists/all-feature-film … in-2014--4

I like to think that it's a good mix of Hollywood blockbusters, genre fodder and more 'arty' fare from all around the world.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: INTERSTELLAR (Hans Zimmer)

Again. It's so brilliant.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    First of all because I'm an extremely serious person with no sense of humour.

I can attest to that. No fun to hang around with, especially at night.
    Kazoo
  8. Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote

Which effect does acohol have on him? Does he become violent or does he get all weepy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote

Which effect does acohol have on him? Does he become violent or does he get all weepy?

Everything all at once.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BRAVEHEART - James Horner

Utterly brilliant!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. NP: The Monuments Men (2014) - Alexandre Desplat

Very nice indeed.
  10. One of his most purely fun scores.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ENTER THE DRAGON (Lalo Schifrin)

A bit more grit than funk, but good stuff! I've been meaning to check this out for 20 years!
    I am extremely serious.
  11. A fantastic main theme but I remember the rest being a bit of a disappointment by comparison.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within Elliot Goldenthal

The whole thing is magnificent, but 'Tocatta & Dreamscapes' is particularly magnificent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Interstellar - Zimmer

Taking advantage of what will I think be my last chance in a while to listen to film music by taking my first listen to this. It's good. To be the first to make an organ-related pun - Zimmer certainly pulled out all the stops. I don't hear any Mission to Mars and it's a lot more simplistic than Philip Glass; while there are obvious echoes of him and of Ligeti it seems Zimmer through and through to me. I like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014
    ^ Listening to it right now for the first time. Three tracks in an I'm getting a Michael Land THE DIG vibe from the score, which is great. Some Horner with those big rolling piano chords, even in those softer piano passages. Some James Newton Howard in those, repeating, fluttering woodwinds, which I guess would be more attributed to Philip Glass.

So far so good... as an album. It's going to be a while until I see the film though. sad

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    Interstellar - Zimmer

Taking advantage of what will I think be my last chance in a while to listen to film music by taking my first listen to this. It's good. To be the first to make an organ-related pun - Zimmer certainly pulled out all the stops. I don't hear any Mission to Mars and it's a lot more simplistic than Philip Glass; while there are obvious echoes of him and of Ligeti it seems Zimmer through and through to me. I like it!

Appropriate 'last listening' too, with the father-daughter relationship in the movie which is just now starting for you in real life. Hopefully, there will still be moments of album listening for you, though, once thing settle in.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. If you do only get moments to listen to anything James, make sure you pick something a bit more interesting that Interstellar.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014
    I recommend John Barry's 'Gifts of Nature' from The Beyondness of Things. Not only an appropriate title but a truly sublime piece too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt