• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2014
    NP: Assassin's Creed: Unity Vol. 2 - Sarah Schachner

Um, this is unexpectedly excellent. I enjoy the rather dry baroque timbre of the music. It's layered, but not dense, nor bass-driven. She's done enough arrangement for Brian Tyler, but I'm glad I'm hearing not much influences from him. Looking forward to more music from her.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2014 edited
    lp wrote
    NP: Assassin's Creed: Unity Vol. 2 - Sarah Schachner

Um, this is unexpectedly excellent. I enjoy the rather dry baroque timbre of the music. It's layered, but not dense, nor bass-driven. She's done enough arrangement for Brian Tyler, but I'm glad I'm hearing not much influences from him. Looking forward to more music from her.

It had some potential the first time I heard it, but the second time it fell dramatically.

That being said, I -- too -- look forward to hearing more music from her. Hopefully outside the videogame genre, which I don't care that much about.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2014 edited
    NP: DOCTOR WHO - DAY OF THE DOCTOR/TIME OF THE DOCTOR (Murray Gold)

Not quite up to the standard of my other two WHO albums by Gold, but with some good tracks. As usual, it's far too long (two CD's, 90 minutes). They have to stop doing this if it's going to be good albums. Compress, condense and suitify -- then you'll have me.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote

Not quite up to the standard of my other two WHO albums by Gold, but with some good tracks. As usual, it's far too long (two CD's, 90 minutes). They have to stop doing this if it's going to be good albums. Compress, condense and suitify -- then you'll have me.

I wasn't surprised by what I found on these 2 CDs - masses of uninteresting stuff with a few tracks featuring some of the older themes that are worth hearing again. Far too much filler. And, again, the music reflecting the fall off in the quality of the programmes themselves - which is directly related to the breakneck pace of the last few series.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2014
    Agreed. I never thought the series recovered properly after Russel T. Davies' (and David Tennant's) departure. Moffat is simply not for me. But there have been exceptions, of course.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The thing that I don't understand is that the episodes Moffat wrote when Davies was in charge were good and I was looking forward to him taking charge.

Looks like Davies was keeping Moffat on a tight leash.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Serenity / Firefly (2005) - David Newman

The fine conclusion fo a great series with an orchestral / country / electronics score by Newman that is well worth listening to from time to time.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

I wasn't surprised by what I found on these 2 CDs - masses of uninteresting stuff with a few tracks featuring some of the older themes that are worth hearing again. Far too much filler. And, again, the music reflecting the fall off in the quality of the programmes themselves - which is directly related to the breakneck pace of the last few series.

Where on earth are you guys buying this?? Or is it some special promo that only reviewers get?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2014 edited
    Scribe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

Where on earth are you guys buying this?? Or is it some special promo that only reviewers get?

Yes, they're promo copies that have been sent out. Looking at Amazon here in the UK it's pencilled in for a (digital) release on the 24th November. Not sure when the physical version is available.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Okay, thanks for clearing that up, I was really confused.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2014 edited
    Black - Chris Tilton

Tremendously exciting. I very much enjoyed Tilton's work on SimCity so I've been going back through his catalogue to see what I've missed.
  4. Josh B wrote
    Black - Chris Tilton

Tremendously exciting. I very much enjoyed Tilton's work on SimCity so I've been going back through his catalogue to see what I've missed.

This is an excellent score. And it has the distinction of being my first ever digital download purchase.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: OPERATION ARCTIC (Trond Bjerknes)

Wonderful score that combines Vangelis with the DRIVE side of Cliff Martinez to paint these 'chilly' textures of Svalbard, the North Pole and Northern lights in this outdoor family adventure film.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: Titan A.E. - Graeme Revell

Another one gone from the wish list.

Volker
  6. NP: STAR TREK VI The Undiscovered Country (1991) - Cliff Eidelman

We celebrate the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall tomorrow. (Edmund, are you in Berlin?)
    This scifi reflection on these events seems fitting.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: STAR TREK VI The Undiscovered Country (1991) - Cliff Eidelman

We celebrate the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall tomorrow. (Edmund, are you in Berlin?)

Volker

I never thought about that connection before.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: STAR TREK VI The Undiscovered Country (1991) - Cliff Eidelman

Volker

I never thought about that connection before.

Well, there is no connection to what happened in Germany in particular, there is rather a general connection to the disintegration of the Eastern Block and the end of the cold war.
    (Or was it just an interruption? freezing)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was hiking in the Himalaya when the wall came down, I didn't find out about this world changing news until more than a week after the event.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FAR CRY 4 (Cliff Martinez)

Great music -- and unusually uptempo for Martinez -- but FAR too long album at 80 minutes. This has to stop already!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hook John Williams

The greatest piratey Christmas score ever written!
  8. Timmer wrote
    I was hiking in the Himalaya when the wall came down, I didn't find out about this world changing news until more than a week after the event.

Obviously they waited until you were "out of the way"!
  9. Thor wrote
    NP: FAR CRY 4 (Cliff Martinez)

Great music -- and unusually uptempo for Martinez -- but FAR too long album at 80 minutes. This has to stop already!

Agreed. The album is far too long...so I turned it off after 15-20 seconds. wink

Didn't like it at all - but then you know this already Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2014 edited
    Yeah -- we're very far apart on the merits of the music itself. But my issue is with the presentation. There's a superb album of some 40-50 minutes here, but nobody even bothers doing this careful programming anymore. I'm actually surprised Martinez didn't bother, because he's usually very good at this stuff. Guess he's caught up in the "trend" too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Operation Arctic - Trond Bjerknes

I love music that evokes icy, snowy places and this is brilliant in places, more ordinary in others, but a very satisfying album overall.
  10. Thor wrote
    Yeah -- we're very far apart on the merits of the music itself. But my issue is with the presentation. There's a superb album of some 40-50 minutes here, but nobody even bothers doing this careful programming anymore. I'm actually surprised Martinez didn't bother, because he's usually very good at this stuff. Guess he's caught up in the "trend" too.

Or not really joining the trend. Mind you, games feature a lot more of music writing than films. It can go up to 6 hours (one of my theories about the failure and amount of ghostwriting in Modern Warfare 2, except Zimmer not really supervising the project except writing a theme, which he regretted later, was that they had about a month to score the WHOLE game). Maybe Martinez believed there are more highlights and released what he felt appropriate?

That said, Tyler's Far Cry 3 is one of his recently shortest albums, so maybe I'm wrong smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2014 edited
    Valiant - George Fenton

Great fun, with the overt 'Britishness' of some of the great thematic material deserving special mention. Shame he hasn't scored more films of this type.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Operation Arctic - Trond Bjerknes

I love music that evokes icy, snowy places and this is brilliant in places, more ordinary in others, but a very satisfying album overall.

I liked this. Very evocative.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Obviously they waited until you were "out of the way"!

Yup! German efficiency at its best. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2014 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote

Or not really joining the trend. Mind you, games feature a lot more of music writing than films. It can go up to 6 hours (one of my theories about the failure and amount of ghostwriting in Modern Warfare 2, except Zimmer not really supervising the project except writing a theme, which he regretted later, was that they had about a month to score the WHOLE game). Maybe Martinez believed there are more highlights and released what he felt appropriate?

That said, Tyler's Far Cry 3 is one of his recently shortest albums, so maybe I'm wrong smile .

Doesn't really matter how long the film/series/videogame is. I've always felt that there are only some VERY few works and composers in history that are able to stand up to an 80-minute running time on album. Wagner, obviously. Maybe STAR WARS and LOTR. But even in these cases, they would be better served with a more succinct presentation.

The "ideal" average running time for an album experience/singular album work is about 40 minutes (the length of an average symphony or a concept album), IMO. Then you have some leeway one or the other way depending on the thematic richness etc. of the work.

Don't get me wrong. I love Martinez' works, and I think the tracks here are great, but it's NOT rich enough to sustain 80 minutes.

As for FAR CRY 3, I thought that was Power Glove (a great 80's throwback synth score that was presented more or less perfectly on album)?
    I am extremely serious.