• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2015
    Thor wrote
    David OC wrote
    No God, No Master - Nuno Malo

Only the fourth score I've heard from this composer, but it's bold and mostly compelling, if nothing we haven't heard before.

This score is in my Top 10 list of 2014!

I'm really looking forward to giving it more spins Thor. It's very good actually; that 7 minute 'Search/Capture' cue towards the end is particularly outstanding.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Deep Water - Marco Beltrami

Went in search of some of my more obscure, most rarely heard Beltrami scores and came across this. And it's very good other than a couple of electronic based cues. Loaded with patented Beltrami action cues, if on a slightly lesser scale than his best work. A very pleasant surprise however.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    GUNSHI KANBEE

Which number is that and does it come with rice?

Hey! angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WAVELENGTH (Tangerine Dream)

The recent reissue. Cool stuff, of course. I don't think I've ever seen the film, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP - THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE - Brad Derrick

This is really quite good. It's got that epic fantasy feel to it. I have to admit that I don't do very well keeping up with video game scores. I've heard this one talked about a bit and thought I would wade through the 47 tracks. The length of these things is one of the biggest reasons I stay away. But even though I've had to come at this from two different sittings, I'm not bored with it. I guess some are disappointed that Soule didn't score the whole thing, but I think Derrick's done a fine job.
  2. Batman (1989) - Danny Elfman

One of the Best scores of its kind. I said I would not buy the recent LLL set. But as so often I say one thing and then change my mind the next minute. The score sounds brilliant.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2015
    Yes indeed Captain. The sound is now very crisp and dynamic. Great audio. Good score!
  3. Batman Returns (1992) - Danny Elfman

Equally brilliant. Somehow, the combination of brooding orchestra and organ always reminds me of Phantom of the Opera.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Batman Returns (1992) - Danny Elfman

Equally brilliant. Somehow, the combination of brooding orchestra and organ always reminds me of Phantom of the Opera.

I prefer this over the first.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Remember Me - Olivier Deriviere

I love returning to this score. Utterly brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. NP: The Greatest Video Game Music Vol. 2 (2012) - Various Composers

Some nice music here.

Volker
  5. NP: On the Waterfront (1954) - Leonard Bernstein

This is a very fine score. Still I can't really see why people claim it to be such a landmark score. The style seems somewhat comparable to Alec North. North and other composers have composed a great number of equally fine scores in the 1950s. The name of the composer seems to put this score into especially bright light.
    I really fine score imo but not that outstanding.

Volker
  6. On the Waterfront is now the go-to "classic noir" sound, though ironically... a film about New York City influenced scores to films largely about Los Angeles!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2015 edited
    On The Waterfront is a landmark score and one of the most influential scores (in the genre) of all time. While I appreciate all the hard work that went into Intrada's archival release I much prefer the suite that Bernstein prepared for the concert hall. Actually, of the numerous recordings of the suite available, it's the suite from the album PANORAMA released by Deutsche Grammophon that made my top 14 re-recordings of all time list a few years ago.

NP: Aliens - Janes Horner

A masterpiece. And for all the bitching Horner did about Eric Tomlinson being "out of his league" on this project, I think Tomlinson's recording and mix is brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Waterfront

I see.

I have this recording of the suite which I also prefer to the score.

Volker
  8. Captain Future wrote
    NP: On the Waterfront (1954) - Leonard Bernstein

This is a very fine score. Still I can't really see why people claim it to be such a landmark score. The style seems somewhat comparable to Alec North. North and other composers have composed a great number of equally fine scores in the 1950s. The name of the composer seems to put this score into especially bright light.
    I really fine score imo but not that outstanding.

Volker

One thing is for certain: Alec North is not Alex North. tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. biggrin You know what? I saw STAR WARS yesterday and I think I got it mixed up with Alec Guinness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2015
    NP: BATTLE OF BRITAIN (Ron Goodwin/William Walton)

Hadn't played this in ages! Yes, it's bombastic and goes a bit against my current taste in things, but it's been with me so long and I've played it enough times that I'm somewhat comfortable with it. I find that my tolerance level for this kind of music is higher with my older albums and less so for newer scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2015
    Thor wrote
    NP: BATTLE OF BRITAIN (Ron Goodwin/William Walton)

Hadn't played this in ages! Yes, it's bombastic and goes a bit against my current taste in things, but it's been with me so long and I've played it enough times that I'm somewhat comfortable with it. I find that my tolerance level for this kind of music is higher with my older albums and less so for newer scores.

Great score and great film. Recent cgi WW II air battles look silly compared with what was filmed in this ( George Lucas awful RED TAILS being a major culprit ), Malcolm Arnold's score is the best bit in the film wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Malcolm Arnold?! All I know is that it's a rejected score by William Walton with one cue left intact (compare that one to Gladiator's The Battle and yeah, Hans did admit "thinking of Walton" rather than Holst) and the rest replaced by Ron Goodwin. Having seen the film twice... no, I can't remember any Malcolm Arnold.

When it comes to Arnold though, I wonder if anyone will ever release his theme to 1964's adaptation of The Thin Red Line.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2015 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Malcolm Arnold?! All I know is that it's a rejected score by William Walton with one cue left intact (compare that one to Gladiator's The Battle and yeah, Hans did admit "thinking of Walton" rather than Holst) and the rest replaced by Ron Goodwin. Having seen the film twice... no, I can't remember any Malcolm Arnold.

When it comes to Arnold though, I wonder if anyone will ever release his theme to 1964's adaptation of The Thin Red Line.

BATTLE IN THE AIR - WILLIAM WALTON

TAM O'SHANTER - MALCOLM ARNOLD

It's an old story now Pawel. Malcolm Arnold had a lot of input on Walton's score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2015
    Legend - Jerry Goldsmith

I'm not convinced a human wrote this score.
  11. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Henry Jackman

I'm not convinced a human wrote this score.

No, not actually playing that (thank Christ), but it's interesting how that comment can be used two ways. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2015 edited
    Oh come on, Winter Soldier is shining example of how to evolve the Bourne trademark sound for a 2014 picture and have it sound fresh while also being incredibly effective in transmitting emotions when accompanied by the film. It's pretty engaging as an album as well, IMO. If you can get past the harsh synths (which are there for a very good reason even if they may not be melodically pleasing) there's also a pretty solid thematic framework in there. Better than his earlier efforts in the same vein like First Class. But I think we've been down this road before. wink

Thanks for the thought though, I think I'll use it to test the bass of my new Audio-Technica ATH-M50x phones... biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2015 edited
    I'm with you, Scribe. I think WINTER SOLDIER was one of the most underrated scores of 2014. Perhaps THE most underrated.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. There are many words I'd use to describe Winter Soldier but "fresh" is not one of them. I much (much much) prefer First Class. Infinitely superior hero theme (more than three notes!). More palatable villain theme (both of them are one-dimensional, but at least Magneto's doesn't colossally misjudge the character). Action music that at least somewhat feels like it's going somewhere. Jackman's X-Men isn't a great score by any means but put it up next to his Cap score and it sounds like Superman in comparison. I think it's the worst score of 2014. Certainly the worst for a major tentpole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd give the raspberry award to the insipid score for Robocop, but freezing Soldier isn't far off.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2015
    To give WINTER SOLDIER some credit, it worked perfectly adequately in the film. I've never heard it on disc nor would I want to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Infinitely superior hero theme (more than three notes!)

There's a whole long line theme in Winter Soldier that's played around with in tracks like "Taking A Stand" and "Captain America". In fact it is one of the more memorable themes of 2014 to me. I am not sure which three notes you were referring to or if you are just being sarcastic.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    NP - HIDDEN KINGDOMS - Ben Foster

I'm only just getting to hear this one for the first time. It is very good. I'm just halfway through my first listen, but I'm a little surprised I'm not seeing this one mentioned more in the best of 2014 discussions, even as an honorable mention.

edit: Wow. Things just got VERY James Bondian there for a few tracks.