• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2015 edited
    Nom nom nom

Happy new year to you too!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2015
    NP : BOY ON A DOLPHIN - Hugo Friedhofer

Dreamy, exotic and lush.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Still trying to catch up on 2014 scores.

Today I've played. . .

A POET IN NEW YORK - Debbie Wiseman

I love her style. This one is on the quiet side, by which I mean that it doesn't ascend to the dramatic heights or depths of WILDE, but it is still a lovely score, typical of what Wiseman can do. I liked it quite a bit.

POSTMAN PAT THE MOVIE - Rupert Gregson-Williams

Sort of like BEE MOVIE light. Which, for me, means it's fun, though I imagine that if I want to hear a score of his, I'll probably play BEE MOVIE.

ZERO THEOREM - George Fenton

I pretty much hated this. There were a couple tracks that weren't awful (some actually had a nice old-school romantic feel to them), but most of this I couldn't stand. This is NOT the kind of Fenton score I enjoy.

BEARS - George Fenton

THIS is the kind of Fenton score that I enjoy! I think James's review for this one summed it up really well.

NP - ALLES IST LIEBE - Annette Focks

I guess this film just came out in Germany last month. I only just discovered it today. I'm a big fan of Annette Focks, and this score is just giving me more reason to be. It is really beautiful. It's quiet as well, and the album is a little long - it gets pretty samey by the end. But where I like the serene beauty of it, more of the same isn't a bad thing for me. It's predominantly piano and strings, with some twinkly percussion. I'm only just finishing it up, and while it might not be as varied as her score from OSTWIND from last year, I think this is my favorite score from her that I've heard, and it may well end up in my top ten favorites from 2014. It's on Spotify. Do yourself a favor and at least give a listen to the ninth track, "Wassersprung." It's just really pretty, and not much more so than the rest of the album. If you like that cue, you'll like the rest.
  2. NP: Seven - Howard Shore

Listening to this again, I'd love for this score to get a proper release sometime in the future.

Thinking back to when I got this unreleased score on CD (when I was much more naive and there wasn't the proliferation of online download sites), it only highlights how attitudes have changed over the years: I bought this album from a well-known online US soundtrack retailer.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Seven - Howard Shore

Listening to this again, I'd love for this score to get a proper release sometime in the future.

Confirmed as in the pipeline by Howard Shore in an interview recently. It's the 20th anniversary this year.
  3. Jim Ware wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Seven - Howard Shore

Confirmed as in the pipeline by Howard Shore in an interview recently. It's the 20th anniversary this year.

That is such good news Jim! You've made my day.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Trying to get through Gary Yershon's oscar-nominated MR. TURNER right now, but it's a very unpleasant listen, with next to no thematic variation. It's almost entirely comprised of one theme, which appears on nearly every track, and which consists entirely of a really high pitched woodwind slowly sliding around dissonantly. It's ghastly.
  5. Blech, that sounds horrible. sad

Another year, another awards body stunt...Sounds like a "consolation prize" thrown Mr. Turner's way for not getting much else in the way of nominations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    A SNUBBED MR. TURNER DOESN'T PAINT WELL!
    Kazoo
  6. NP: Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (1989) - John Williams

Deep reverance for RAIDERS but this is my favourite Indy score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : VERTIGO - Bernard Herrmann

magnificent.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hidden Kingdoms Ben Foster

An unoriginal but very entertaining score. I agree with Alan that it seems a little too Hollywood for nature documentaries, but it certainly makes for a very enjoyable album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (1989) - John Williams

Volker

Same here. By FAR!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2015 edited
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

Same here. By FAR!

RAIDERS is the unbeatable one for me. I can understand why you both like it more. though for me it's the second best Indy score and by some distance even if it is a bloody excellent score.
  7. Also my personal favourite from the series.

Thomas Newman - Skyfall

I missed this one. Newman doing straightforward action is very interesting and I am somewhat surprised that some of our esteemed members didn't hear much of Newman's personal style in this score. That at certain Barryesque licks (partly the brass writing, quite a bit in the rhythmic pattern and some harmony) to put this in the 007 theory. It's a very subtle score and the more I hear it, the less I find it a Bourne wannabe. Sure the electronics are very modern (courtesy of Simon Franglen, who also modernized Horner's synthesizers on Avatar, Karate Kid and, sounds like Amazing Spider-Man 2), but the orchestrations themselves are pure Newman.

The Bloody Shot is a more action-film and modernized version of the action writing we had in Road to Perdition, for example.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I haven't heard any of the five nominated scores so I'm going to listen to them, one at a time, starting with Gary Yershon's Mr. Turner

Cold and inaccessible is my first impression. Written for a small ensemble (woodwinds, harp and strings), the score is anchored by a few recurring motifs (a high-pitched clarinet note and a throbbing string bit being the most notable) but the cues are mostly very short and pass by without much distinction. Honestly, the "End Credits" cue is all you really need to hear from this score, as it contains most of the thematic material and is long enough to feel developed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2015 edited
    I agree with you Josh. The whole score was a bit much for me. The End Credits cue? Yep! That'd suit me fine.

( expect it to win the Oscar, that or The Theory of Everything which I like far more and wouldn't be unhappy about a win )
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    It's one of those scores which probably works very well in its film but leaves me cold outside of it.

The Imitation Game- Alexandre Desplat

Very typical Desplat and also very lovely. Lots of his trademark woodwinds and piano. I love the main title cue and there's various highlights along the way, enough to where I'll probably need to listen to this one several times (and hopefully see the film, which I've heard good things about).
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The Theory of Everything - Johann Johannsson

There's nothing wrong with this score. It's very pretty, well-composed and has a very clear dramatic arc, something which a lot of scores fail at. The problem is that it sounds like counterfeit Desplat when the real deal is much preferred. That and I couldn't remember a single note after it had finished.

That's all for tonight. I'll tackle the Zimmer and other Desplat tomorrow.
  8. That Johannson score sounds like somebody put Desplat and Korzeniowski in a blender and stripped away most of the personality. It's a nice little score but why so many people are going gaga for it I'll never understand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

Same here. By FAR!

RAIDERS is the unbeatable one for me. I can understand why you both like it more. though for me it's the second best Indy score and by some distance even if it is a bloody excellent score.

Interesting.
    Raiders moves ahead of Last Crusade for me as well, but if I'm honest it's mainly because I really like the film so much more. But Last Crusade is SO chocfull thematic goodness (like the Grail or the Cross Of Coronoado) that in my mind the two scores are really just inches apart!
    Heck, I love 'em BOTH!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. I'm putting my flag down in the Temple of Doom camp. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh Edmund. Always the contrary one!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Choosing an Indiana Jones score is like choosing between a blonde, a redhead and a brunette; we all have our preferences, but we'd hardly complain about the others. (Redhead & Raiders for me.)
  10. Does that make Kingdom of the Crystal Skull the awkward dye-job of the lot?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, its roots show, but ultimately it's a bit of a mess.
  11. applause
  12. Kingdom is a generic score by Williams' standards. I does have some thematic highlights and in general it's a fine score.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Captain Future wrote
    Kingdom is a generic score by Williams' standards. I does have some thematic highlights and in general it's a fine score.

With a terrible album presentation!
  13. Jim Ware wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Kingdom is a generic score by Williams' standards. I does have some thematic highlights and in general it's a fine score.

With a terrible album presentation!

That's right. slant