• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2015
    Terminator 3 - Marco Beltrami

The John Conner theme is better than I remembered and it gets a lovely lyrical variation in 'Radio' too. Otherwise this is packed with typically great action material from Beltrami; the brilliant 'Blonde Behind the Wheel' is surely the pick of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Lost Themes - John Carpenter

Unfortunately, I didn't really like everything on this album. But there's a few tracks on this that are keepers. "Vortex" does a good job of summing up all that I find so great in the old John Carpenter synths sound. Reminds me a lot of Halloween III: Season of the Witch - which is an excellent property to have in a piece of music! (Has a touch of Christine in it too.)

I sampled this album on some website, and I absolutely DUG what I heard. I've never been a big Carpenter buff, but always fancied his minimalistic themes. And in this 'fresh' and updated remix sound (that also pays respect to the original compositions), he's probably never been more relevant to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DOWNTON ABBEY (John Lunn)

Never seen the show, but there's some great music here. Especially love the track "Fallen", which taps into RVW and the religious sound I love so much. Have you heard this, Timmer?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Never seen the show, but there's some great music here. Especially love the track "Fallen", which taps into RVW and the religious sound I love so much. Have you heard this, Timmer?

Yes, and very good it is too. ( I have Downton Abbey The Essential Collection )

As for the show, I watched the first series and got part way through the second before I gave up on this unrealistic silliness. It's basically a classily produced soap opera.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Yes, and very good it is too. ( I have Downton Abbey The Essential Collection )

As for the show, I watched the first series and got part way through the second before I gave up on this unrealistic silliness. It's basically a classily produced soap opera.

Yeah, that's my impression as well -- without having seen a single episode. I love costume dramas, but this doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I have the same album as Timmer. Nice TV scoring! I found the first few episodes mildly promissing but quickly lost interest.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SOMEWHERE IN TIME (John Barry)

Very nice! Here's a Barry score where I have no problem sitting through the whole thing (this is the original Varese release, in case there has been expanded versions since).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: SOMEWHERE IN TIME (John Barry)

Very nice! Here's a Barry score where I have no problem sitting through the whole thing (this is the original Varese release, in case there has been expanded versions since).

I thought the only Varese release of this was a rerecording in which case this is the complete score, though I believe it only adds a few more minutes. Minus the Racmaninoff piece the score doesn't run much over 35 minutes.

( the original score was released on MCA )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah, OK. The MCA, then. I think.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Downton Abbey falls deep into the Guilty Pleasure category. It's a soap, but indeed a fine production with easy-to-love-or-hate actors and a great setting to fall in love with.

If you like the music, try out its sibling, Grantchester, also by Lunn, which has a slightly darker approch at times, but fits in perfectly (I don't have the album, but loved what I heard while watching the series).

Now to Jupiter Ascending...

This one will need a lot more spins, for many different reasons.

I have always had my difficulties warming up to a new Giacchino score. Usually, I like moments. Certain tracks. A motif here, a theme there, but I always have a hard time to deeply fall in love with anything he does. Lost certainly has its tear-jerkers, Star Trek has a nice but in the end rather simple theme that got on my nerves fast because I couldn't get it out of my head. Super 8 must be the one score with those two themes I really connected with, and I still love them immensely.

While I loved the movie, I never gave John Carter more than one listen. Giacchino's action stuff just doesn't do anything for me, and I wasn't able to grab into any themes the score might have to offer. I just didn't get them, and here there was a movie so in need of a fantastic, rousing score. With good themes. Lots of.

Now, we have Jupiter Ascending, and I had to give up during the first listen. I didn't get it. It just rolled over me and did nothing for me, BUT this time I noticed that it needs time - and definitely the movie it has been written for. I gave it another try, this time a complete run, and I'm beginning to... well, not exactly warming up to it, but it doesn't feel so cold anymore.

How best to describe it...? Yes, it's all there. Big, loud orchestra. Choirs to make galaxies shudder. Heart-pumping action, eerie sounds. And yes, of course I noticed those... themes, if you want to call them that. But it doesn't grab me. It has nothing to offer that speaks out to my emotions in a way I can connect with. Yes, I hear those emotion-heavy tracks, but they feel empty to me. And that's what I get with most of his stuff. It all sounds big and rousing and pompous and such, but in the end, it just feels empty to me, but there is this tiny, little hook I hold on to this time, a feeling of warmth I'm not sure where it's coming from, but as I said, this one needs a movie. Since I'm gonna watch this over the weekend on a very big screen, I hope I come back humming something. Please?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2015 edited
    Good. Thor can stop his whining now.
  3. I really enjoy DOWNTON ABBEY - the music and the TV show. Sure the plot is ridiculous (the show is basically one excruciating tragedy after another), and the characters aren't always consistent, but I really enjoy it nevertheless. The production values are great, and the dialogue is really excellent, especially as written for Maggie Smith's character. She's hilarious. I don't think there's a show currently running that I like more than DOWNTON, actually. And the music is just excellent.

Ralph, I think a great many people are going to disagree with your take on JUPITER ASCENDING, but I'm right there with you. I haven't finished my first whole listen to it yet, but I haven't been engaged by it. I wasn't a big fan of John Carter. There's just something his music when it's in this style that I don't connect with. Maybe repeated listens, and Anthony's playlist, will change my mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm going to assume until shown otherwise that the music feels spiritually empty because it's written for a film that's depressing and cynical and spiritually empty itself.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. On the melodic side I feel Giacchino's music is a bit simplistic. But he makes up for it with many other qualities that he brings to to table. I needed quite a time to warm up to his music but he has won me over since he did STAR TREK.
    JUPITER I believe is bound to join the ranks of great symphonic science fiction scores.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: WISHIN' AND HOPIN' Matthew Llewellyn

I'm reviewing it and I like it. The main theme as well as the secondary theme on the flute got my attention. I wish I could talk to the composer but I don't think this is possible as MSM seems to be busy on other projects.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Good. Thor can stop his whining now.

*sigh of relief*

But what popular object am I going to lambast now?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Joy itself?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek Michael Giacchino

As impressive as Jupiter Ascending is, nothing quite matches 'Enterprising Young Men', or indeed the end titles suite.
  5. Timmer wrote
    NP : SCREEN THEMES - John Scott & Various artists

I had the LP once and am now listening to this on Spotify. I can't remember now which tracks are taken from the original scores and which ones were newly recorded by John Scott except for John Barry's MASQUERADE which at that time had never been released, other composers represented here include Scott, Bernstein, Conti, Kamen, Silvestri, Horner and more.

Right now is Jerry Goldsmith's CRIMINAL LAW ( definitely from the original score ), a score I've never liked.

I bought a second hand copy for a few cent. Very nice! As to CRIMINAL LAW: There are annotations to almost every cue. (a) through (e), *; +.
    I have almost no idea what cue is conducted by Scott and which is an original recording. angry

Volker
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Captain Future wrote
    On the melodic side I feel Giacchino's music is a bit simplistic. But he makes up for it with many other qualities that he brings to to table. I needed quite a time to warm up to his music but he has won me over since he did STAR TREK.
    JUPITER I believe is bound to join the ranks of great symphonic science fiction scores.

Volker

The most frustrating aspect of Giacchino's music to me are the often simplistic harmonies that he uses, especially when accompanying one of his love themes. They just come across as trite to me. His action music is usually what I find the most engaging in his albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kingsman - Henry Jackman

It's like an exaggerated cliche-ridden Remote Control impersonation of David Arnold impersonating John Barry, and is surprisingly very highly entertaining.
  6. Josh B wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    On the melodic side I feel Giacchino's music is a bit simplistic. But he makes up for it with many other qualities that he brings to to table. I needed quite a time to warm up to his music but he has won me over since he did STAR TREK.

Volker

The most frustrating aspect of Giacchino's music to me are the often simplistic harmonies that he uses, especially when accompanying one of his love themes. They just come across as trite to me. His action music is usually what I find the most engaging in his albums.

I agree with this. Their styles are massively different from one another and Giacchino is definitely more old-school, but he and Brian Tyler both have the same problem - they're capable of whipping up an excellent frenzy from the orchestra, but for some reason their themes always strike me as a bit too simplistic to keep up with the density of their writing. It's a lot more evident with Tyler, but Giacchino's no stranger to it either.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015
    Underworld 3 - Marco Beltrami

Some more very solid action music amongst the not so great material. But 'Trunkin' is definitely headed for the Beltrami action cue Hall of Fame. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Star Trek Michael Giacchino

As impressive as Jupiter Ascending is, nothing quite matches 'Enterprising Young Men', or indeed the end titles suite.

You speak the truth. The end titles suite is IMO one of the greatest such pieces of the new century by any composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I agree with this. Their styles are massively different from one another and Giacchino is definitely more old-school, but he and Brian Tyler both have the same problem - they're capable of whipping up an excellent frenzy from the orchestra, but for some reason their themes always strike me as a bit too simplistic to keep up with the density of their writing. It's a lot more evident with Tyler, but Giacchino's no stranger to it either.

I can see what you mean with something like the John Carter love theme but what about his more low-key love themes like the "Going Home" theme from Lost? ("There's No Place Like Home" from Season 4 and the more deeply explored rousing reprise in "Moving On" from Season 6). When Giacchino is in that mode he is capable of writing what I consider some of the most beautiful music in my collection.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    giacchino can write really good themes and he is much better in that than brian tyler. giacchinos Medal Of Honor scores prove that. dont know why his themes for movies dont have the same great quality. although i really love his Super 8 theme and the Labour Of Love theme form Star Trek. these are maybe simple, but very melodic and intense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE AVENGERS (Joel McNeely)

I think I saw the film ages ago, but have no memories of it. I know it was lambasted. BUT -- as sometimes happens with poor films -- the score is brilliant! Colourful, with one setpiece after the other. The 63 minutes fly by!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I've often said that what I miss in Giacchino's scores is some kind of acoustic reflection from the recording room; his stuff often sounds as dry as the Sahara, and I really hate that, especially when you want to capture the vastness of space. It sounds as if they recorded the stuff in my wardrobe. It took away all the fun I could have had with Star Trek. His LOST stuff works for me because it's the small screen, where I somehow don't find the "drought" too annoying.

Labor of Love compared to those two lovely Super 8 themes is a completely different animal. Labor of Love - like the whole scene - never ever got me. I'm a massive Kirk fan (talking TOS here), but still the whole scene left me cold, and I'd bet everything that it's the score. It's too frakking small, both reagrding to orchestrations and recording. It sounds as if they recorded it in the very shuttle. Super 8, on the other hand, feels far better on every level. A lot more powerful and hitting all the right spots. Still too dry, but it just clicks.

Now off to give Jupiter its third spin...

Edit: Damn it, now I know what that tiny little thing is that feels different about Jupiter: It's not dry. At all! At least the symphony isn't. Looking forward to the rest, and I hope it doesn't change.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Edit: Damn it, now I know what that tiny little thing is that feels different about Jupiter: It's not dry. At all! At least the symphony isn't. .

Completely agree!
    It's a very dynamic, rich recording that really comes out full blast!
    I love Gioacchino's musical design on this score. It's very exciting and energetic.
    This, indeed, is very fine film music... but would it have killed him to add a theme or two? slant

(And before we get the "but there are two recurring notes" argument all over again, I am talking about a easily concert-isable theme. A clear leitmotiv. Leia's theme. The Raider's March. The James Bond Theme. Stuff like that. Something you can whistle along to for more than 4 seconds).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE AVENGERS (Joel McNeely)

I think I saw the film ages ago, but have no memories of it. I know it was lambasted. BUT -- as sometimes happens with poor films -- the score is brilliant! Colourful, with one setpiece after the other. The 63 minutes fly by!

This score is by far the best thing to come out of that film.