• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Morgan Joylighter wrote
    I just started listening to Steven Price's "The Hunt" and was shocked to hear how good it was (at least in the first half hour?). I can find almost no mention of it online anywhere, in fact the most verbose description I saw was in this very thread (so hi!) but even that was tiny, nowhere near review length. To me this score sounds right up there with the best of Fenton so it's surprising that it's gotten so little visibility. I guess there are just too many new scores these days and things like this get drowned in the deluge. That, and Price is so far known for atmospheric, unlistenableish scores. But this is assuredly proper nature documentary score. To me it sounds halfway between Fenton, and the Gold/Foster sound as most similarly heard in "Hidden Kingdoms" last year. Definitely recommended smile

Thanks for the recommendation. I had heard someone mention this score, but I'm not so fond of Price's previous work. But I'll check this one out later today!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2015 edited
    christopher wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    I just started listening to Steven Price's "The Hunt" and was shocked to hear how good it was (at least in the first half hour?). I can find almost no mention of it online anywhere, in fact the most verbose description I saw was in this very thread (so hi!) but even that was tiny, nowhere near review length. To me this score sounds right up there with the best of Fenton so it's surprising that it's gotten so little visibility. I guess there are just too many new scores these days and things like this get drowned in the deluge. That, and Price is so far known for atmospheric, unlistenableish scores. But this is assuredly proper nature documentary score. To me it sounds halfway between Fenton, and the Gold/Foster sound as most similarly heard in "Hidden Kingdoms" last year. Definitely recommended smile

Thanks for the recommendation. I had heard someone mention this score, but I'm not so fond of Price's previous work. But I'll check this one out later today!

It's really good, if you don't like Price's previous work then you're in for a nice surprise I think. I'll be purchasing the CD.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2015 edited
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2015
    NP: DRYADS - GIRLS DON'T CRY (Marius Christiansen)

A promo from this Norwegian film that I just received. Great stuff! The gorgeous choral cue that opens, and then some fine, fine old-school synthpop after that.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    There's a big, big difference between ambient electronica and playing the exact same RC power anthem the exact same way five times in a row, though! dizzy

Indeed. Is more a structural than an actual likeness. If it is. I'm not good at describing music. I just like this score. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Timmer wrote

Finally someone would speak the truth!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Carol Carter Burwell

Very good indeed. Exquisite writing for winds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    American Journey John Williams

Surprisingly starved of truly memorable memories, but otherwise prototypical Williams.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2015
    Suffragette - Alexandre Desplat

Very competent as this composer always is but large chunks of this score pass by without grabbing my attention. The highlights (like the opening cue) are definitely strong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - Joe Kraemer

This is definitively an excellent M:I score. Rivaled only by Danny Elfman's original. Hans' score is in Third place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote

This is definitively an excellent M:I score. Rivaled only by Danny Elfman's original. Hans' score is in last place.

Fixed your post! tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

This is definitively an excellent M:I score. Rivaled only by Danny Elfman's original. Hans' score is in last place.

Fixed your post! tongue

-Erik-

LOL. No problem. My list of awesome M:I scores has only three entries in it anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    lp wrote

This is definitively an excellent M:I score. Rivaled only by Danny Elfman's original. Hans' score is in Third place.

It's in my third spot. After Zimmer's (first) and Elfman's (second), but before the two Giacchinos.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Zimmer's score is a ridiculously overcooked piece of nonsense that is occasionally fun to listen to...occasionally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah except that it's not fun to listen to minus "Nyah and Ethan." It's down right terrible.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2015 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Zimmer's score is a ridiculously overcooked piece of nonsense that is occasionally fun to listen to...occasionally.

It's a gorgeous score from start to finish and outshines anything else in the franchise -- BY FAR! I know that Volker agrees.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    yeah except that it's not fun to listen to minus "Nyah and Ethan." It's down right terrible.

-Erik-

I agree! I don't enjoy Zimmer's score at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You're bonkers.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Zimmer's score is a ridiculously overcooked piece of nonsense that is occasionally fun to listen to...occasionally.

It's a gorgeous score from start to finish and outshines anything else in the franchise -- BY FAR! I know that Volker agrees.

Only on a Keith Richards style drug binge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

drink
  5. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I get a smidgeon of guilty pleasure from "Injection" and a couple of the ridiculous choral O Fortuna rips like the first two minutes of "Bare Island" (before it descends into something that would not make Lalo Schifrin roll so much as turn into a miniature jet engine in his grave). But yeah, that's about it. Deeply, deeply silly score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If ever a film score wore a mullet...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I certainly do.
    I actually enjoy none of the other scores (or in fact any of the films), but Zimmer's effort at least is fun and high in octane. It's one of his scores I revisit often! Great stuff!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Gentlemen, I did not listen to M:I 2 by Zimmer in several ages. I seem to remember that I liked some Spanish flavoured piece. Is that possible? I'll give it a listen sometime during winter break and give you my opinion. Cheerio!

smile Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with you on one thing there Martijn, I don't enjoy any of the films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I certainly do.
    I actually enjoy none of the other scores (or in fact any of the films), but Zimmer's effort at least is fun and high in octane. It's one of his scores I revisit often! Great stuff!

You go, girl! I guess I got you confused with Volker.

The only thing that measures up to Zimmer's score if some of Lalo's original score for the series.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You're bonkers.
  7. Thor confused me with Martijn? Now, if Thor was American, they don't seem to distinguish between Dutch and Deutsch in general. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Zimmer's score is best enjoyed as an album, not a score. In that sense, I love it. But when I want to listen to Mission Impossible music, I now go straight to Kraemer's brilliant score, and then Elfman's and Giacchino's. (I've never heard Schifrin's original scores, beside the theme.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Zimmer's score is best enjoyed sporting a mullet, medallion, shiny shirt and tight leather strides

I'm sure it suits you. wink