• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2016
    D's BFG JW

Much like War Horse, most of the score is a bit bland, but it's the last couple of cues that I keep returning to. I can ditch the rest, and just keep 'Finale' and 'Sophie and the BFG'. Nothing new, but it's John Williams doing his best John Williams impersonation.
  1. I do think War Horse has a bit more to offer throughout its entire length than The BFG to be honest. "Sophie and the BFG" is a good cue, mostly by virtue of collecting all the score's best bits in one place so that I don't really feel the need to revisit the rest except the unique "Dream Jars" cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I do think War Horse has a bit more to offer throughout its entire length than The BFG to be honest.

Definitely! And even that isn't enough to keep my interest. It fades into the background all too easily, and BFG is even worse on that front. But with both scores (War Horse more so), there are some gems within them. That action cue from War Horse is one of Williams' best this side of The Last Crusade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2016 edited
    Williams' 2010s output has not been very impressive, but WAR HORSE stands as a shining beacon! Fantastic score -- miles ahead of THE BFG!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2016 edited
    NP: HALT AND CATCH FIRE (Paul Haslinger)

GREAT score, just released; finally we're able to hear Haslinger in his ol' Tangerine Dream mode rather than the endless horror drones he's done for the past decade or so. I've been waiting a long time for this.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Williams' 2010s output has not been very impressive, but WAR HORSE stands as a shining beacon! Fantastic score -- miles ahead of THE BFG!

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2016
    The Monkey King 2 - Christopher Young

Seems utterly obscene that one of the finest film composers of the last 30 years can only get crap like this to score these days. But the man is an class act in every way and naturally has produced another sensational work. A notch below the first one but still packed with great themes, action and moments of genius.
  2. If I were a film composer and I had the choice between crap on a massive canvas like The Monkey King 2 or some nihilistic, likely-to-be-well-received David Fincher movie, I'd pick the crap every time. The paycheck's probably the same, and it just seems like so much more fun!

That being said, it is a damn shame that Hollywood seems to have forgotten about Christopher Young. slant
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2016 edited
    Absolutely agree. Crap films do so often provide undeniable opportunities for composers to shine as Young, amongst many others, has proven time and time again. Roll on Monkey King 3, 4 and 5!!!

Big Bad Wolves - Frank Ilfman

Been playing this a ridiculous amount of times recently. Great stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    At least you have acknowledged that you are the problem, not the score. Progress.

lol

Spot on!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Ran (30-min. suite) - Toru Takemitsu

Erik's latest podcast plus an itch for orchestral despair mean it's time for me to listen to this.
    I should check out what else is available from Kurosawa's films. I discovered The Hidden Fortress recently and loved Masaru Sato's score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: THE LEGEND OF ZORRO - James Horner

This just rocks. Horner somehow made this better than the first score, despite not really adding much new material. The Train has to be one of his best action pieces ever.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2016 edited
    Dark Waves - Alexander Cimini

Superb!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2016
    Southall wrote
    [b]Dark Waves[/b - Alexander Cimini

Superb!

yeah

Really impressed by this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. NP: Tora! Tora! Tora! - Jerry Goldsmith

A fantastic score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. We seem to be the only ones who actually openly discuss their love to this score on this board!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. I'm generally not into Goldsmith's war related scores: Patton, Tora!, Blue Max and so on. They are too noisy for my taste. I do like however the suites of those scores that I have in my collection.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2016 edited
    Patton and Tora noisy!!??!!

Now You See Me 2 - Brian Tyler

Two garbage films that don't deserve music as fine as this. Way too much on this disc but there are plenty of lengthy cues in which Tyler is, admirably, able to keep things interesting throughout.
  7. Yes. Noisy military march music. Like William's Midway. I don't like that either.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What a fantastic score PATTON is. What a fantastic score THE BLUE MAX is. What a fantastic score TORA! TORA! TORA! is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    What a fantastic score PATTON is. What a fantastic score THE BLUE MAX is. What a fantastic score TORA! TORA! TORA! is.

Yes... indeed! And they AREN'T noisy. MAN OF STEEL is noisy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Yeah, OK, I find those scores intrusive (Man of Steel I don't). But that's just me. Those are surely great scores. Just not my cup of tea.
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    If I were a film composer and I had the choice between crap on a massive canvas like The Monkey King 2 or some nihilistic, likely-to-be-well-received David Fincher movie, I'd pick the crap every time. The paycheck's probably the same, and it just seems like so much more fun!

That being said, it is a damn shame that Hollywood seems to have forgotten about Christopher Young. slant

Actually, the paycheck for Monkey King is probably much higher, since its a sequel to one of the most expensive movies ever made and in the top rising film economy in the world. Or so I would venture to guess.
  10. Southall wrote
    Dark Waves - Alexander Cimini

Superb!

This is a thing that just came out of nowhere and hit me in the head and I still don't know who this composer is or what I just heard. Just that I need more of it.
  11. ^ I rushed to listen to a cue on Soundcloud. This is indeed charming. (A bit like Delerue?)

Volker
  12. The last two 8-minute cues are the best. The style is a weird and fresh mix of Delerue, Desplat, Rombi and some other ingredients I can't quite identify yet...

NP: Valley - Aaakash Rao

Another stunningly pleasant surprise by a totally unknown composer...I've been pretty bored by most of the last several months of score releases (BFG, Star Trek and Pete's Dragon aside). I only gave it a chance because the cover looked so nice and artistic...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2016
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    The last two 8-minute cues are the best. The style is a weird and fresh mix of Delerue, Desplat, Rombi and some other ingredients I can't quite identify yet.

A large dose of Morricone too.

I love his Red Krokodil too. I also strongly recommend the track Passion and Love from Hyde's Secret Nightmare, it's available on Spotify. Check it out.
  13. Timmer wrote

I was debating going there...but there wasn't enough weird synths and clunky suspense music :D
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2016
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Timmer wrote

I was debating going there...but there wasn't enough weird synths and clunky suspense music :D

That depends on which Morricone you're familiar with. wink There is definitely a Morricone vibe in that score.
  14. Timmer wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Timmer wrote

That depends on which Morricone you're familiar with. wink There is definitely a Morricone vibe in that score.

It fits my notions. Delerue and Morricone aren't that far apart when it comes to romantic music.