• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011
    I find Immortals a very disappointing score........and boring...! I guess its perfectly tailor-made for the movie which deserves the same adjectives. From my part of course. XD
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I thought the first half of the score was boring but it gets interesting in the climactic parts. I've only listened to it once so far, so it might grow on me too. Certainly not a bad score.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    Of course its not bad..but not good either..mediource! The only tracks i enjoyed are kind of Angels and Demons-like. And i still think better for Morris to score for the small screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes his style so far does seem to be better suited to those TV kinds of dramas. And this score barely feels like its using a real orchestra...doesn't feel "epic" enough for the subject matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    I agree with you!!!If it would be a Tv score i would say its a very nice effort! But i thought Big Screen has different requirements ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011
    Scribe wrote
    Yes his style so far does seem to be better suited to those TV kinds of dramas. And this score barely feels like its using a real orchestra...doesn't feel "epic" enough for the subject matter.

Really? The one thing I like about this score is how much of the orchestra that you can actually hear! So much aleatoric brass and strings that it almost feel like a screaming Beltrami horror score. It feels epic, but the lack of strong melodic themes really hampers it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    If you ask me i like more Tudors than Immortals. And as i heard people talking how much time had Morris scoring on Immortals i think the result is disappointing. So i still think he hasnt grown up for big movies. This is simply not enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011 edited
    I do like the atonal stuff in Immortals and I didn't mean "it doesn't sound like an orchestra" in that way. I meant the orchestrations in the parts that are supposed to be "big" are too simplistic, and more importantly, the whole thing feels like it went through those weird Remote Control compression filters that make everything big sound small. Or maybe I was imagining the whole thing...it was just my first impression. There are still 4 more listens to come tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    Good Luck Scribe!! I could not listen that one 4 times :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    or better : Matt ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I've mentioned this before but I listen to all new CDs 5 times (unless I absolutely hate it and delete it, but that doesn't happen very often) because some scores taken longer to grow on me and I want to give them all an equal chance to be loved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    i could not do that...normally i pretty much know what i like and i dont like to torture myself. Of course if i should need to write a review or something like that i would give more listens to it. Buts its extremly rare that what i didnt like the first time it will be better later..mostly it gets worse :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    If I didn't do it, I probably would never have fallen in love with Desplat, or be becoming a fan of Iglesias, or learned to appreciate many more composers whose music is more subtle than I grew up being accustomed to. Music that seems boring on the first listen can suddenly reveal wonderful treasures on the fifth listen. Doesn't always happen, but I find it happens a lot for me. Of course, not everyone even has time to listen so much as me. I'm spoiled. lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    Im definately not a fan of Desplat but this is of course just a matter of taste;-)....i can understand what you say though
  1. Kri1985 wrote
    Im definately not a fan of Desplat but this is of course just a matter of taste;-)....i can understand what you say though

I'm no fan of Desplat myself Krisztina, but indeed it's all about taste and personal impressions. Speaking of impressions, here's my review of Immortals
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    Yes i have already read that Thomas and i agree with it, nice review;-)........ i rated it only with 2 and a half stars! Maybe i was too strict...but really its not my cup of tea. As you said too the entertaining tracks are Angels and Demons inspired and not in the best manner so if i want to listen such music obviously i will take A & D.
  2. Kri1985 wrote
    Yes i have already read that Thomas and i agree with it, nice review;-)........ i rated it only with 2 and a half stars! Maybe i was too strict...but really its not my cup of tea. As you said too the entertaining tracks are Angels and Demons inspired and not in the best manner so if i want to listen such music obviously i will take A & D.

you definitely have a strong personal opinion, that's very good smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    :-)...yes.. generally i really cant hold back what i think..!
  3. What does "it doesn't win of 300" mean?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Oh stop making fun of him :P
    It means, it doesn't do the same things as well as 300 did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    :D----that is kind a.......to compose something worse than 300 must be a hard effort :D..so at least in a manner this score is outstanding
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011
    300 does work very effectively in the film. That may be its absolutely only merit, but you have to give it that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    of course it does suits well with the movie...! When im expressing my opinion is about the music as composition and listening experince for me.
  4. Scribe wrote

hmn, it seems some people do understand what I write
    That's what I meant smile
  5. Kri1985 wrote
    of course it does suits well with the movie...! When im expressing my opinion is about the music as composition and listening experince for me.

I like it, especially the emotional pieces
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Scribe wrote

hmn, it seems some people do understand what I write
    That's what I meant smile

I'm pretty sure Jon got it too.
    We like to have a little fun with you from time to time, but believe you me: your English is MUCH better than it was in the beginning, and your reviews I think are a credit to the site. (Even if the odd Anglocentric, who, without speaking one word abroad, thinks it fitting to chastise those damn foreigners whose proficiency may not be up to Shakespearean standards.
    Just yanking your chain, Jon. wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. No, I genuinely didn't know what it meant! I didn't know whether he intended to say "it doesn't sound like 300" or "it's not as good as 300", which are two totally different ideas... although, I have to say, neither of which would usually be expressed with the word "win".
  7. Martijn wrote
    We like to have a little fun with you from time to time, but believe you me: your English is MUCH better than it was in the beginning, and your reviews I think are a credit to the site. (Even if the odd Anglocentric, who, without speaking one word abroad, thinks it fitting to chastise those damn foreigners whose proficiency may not be up to Shakespearean standards.

This is true and, as I've said before, this is the reason I don't write reviews in a language I don't understand. Of course Thomas's command of English is much much better than my command of Dutch, which is pretty much two words: "alstublieft" and "slagroom".

I just wish Thomas would use the right words in the right context, to make the points he's making understandable, instead of leaving people scratching their heads trying to work out what he's trying to say. It makes the entire review look stupid, and totally unprofessional for a member of the IFMCA.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011 edited
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Of course Thomas's command of English is much much better than my command of Dutch, which is pretty much two words: "alstublieft" and "slagroom".

Two VERY good words to know, if I do say so myself!

I just wish Thomas would use the right words in the right context, to make the points he's making understandable, instead of leaving people scratching their heads trying to work out what he's trying to say. It makes the entire review look stupid, and totally unprofessional for a member of the IFMCA.

Hm. I do take issue with those very unkind epithets.
    "Stupid" is simply unwarranted. I think Thomas' reviews are nothing of the sort, and judging from the reactions of some of our other highly valued Anglosaxon contributors here (some of them proficient reviewers in their own right) I am not alone in that judgement. They seem to be quite clear and intelligible to the vast majority of English speaking people around here, native or not.

I grant you that some of the past reviews may been a little too much of an excercise in associative writing and interpretation, but I think that's pretty much cleared up.

But I really find the label "stupid" to be rather offensive and disrespectful to Thomas' gargantuan efforts.

And I think we butted heads over the concept "professional" before as well.
    My take is extremely simple: as long as you're not getting paid, you're NOT a professional.
    Hence, if all concerned with THIS web site are happy with it, then everyone else can go take a hike, as far as I'm concerned. (I do appreciate that this IFMCA may wish to exude an air of respectability, and if there are cerrtain guidelines they set out that reviews should adhere to, and both Bregt and Thomas have agreed to these guidelines and/or wish the IFMCA to have some sort of quality control role, then of course that's fine, and Thomas then should abide by those rules.
    But I'm not aware of any such situation.
    Doesn't mean it isn't there. I just don't know, and so comment only on the public -i.e. generally visible- situation.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011 edited
    The point I'm trying to make is just one about taking care. Professionalism doesn't just mean "getting paid", it also means being accurate, writing well, doing research, making the review flow properly, using correct grammar and spelling, etc. Basically, doing a good job of whatever it is that you're doing, so that it reflects well on the author, the website where it's posted, and the people who are associated with it.

I really like this website, this forum, 99% of the posters here, and I want it to have a good reputation and be respected in the wider film music world for the quality of its reviews and content. Alan's reviews, for example, are excellent. But when I read something like this review for Immortals, it just makes me cringe, because if someone like me, who actually LIKES this website, has such a negative reaction to the writing, then what on Earth are newbies going to think? (let alone composers, publicists etc.)

Oh, and about the "stupid" comment: I'm not saying Thomas *IS* stupid. I'm saying a review like that, which reads like it was written in about 10 minutes with no quality control, no double-checking of the grammar, or anything like that, makes him *LOOK* stupid - which I'm sure no-one wants.