• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2009
    I adore many of Williams' and Goldsmith's scores equally. But I've always been slightly more passionate about Goldsmith than Williams, yet I can never place one above the other!? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    The best. Ever.

You wrote this in the wrong thread. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    The best. Ever.

You wrote this in the wrong thread. wink

-Erik-

Sorry, I knew there was something I should have said in Justin's composition thread.
  1. Here is an episode of the show "Gunsmoke" that Morton Stevens scored; thought it might be of interest to some of you:

http://www.tvland.com/fullepisodes/guns … deId=16291
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2009
    Shouldn't that be in the Morton Stevens thread?
  2. As an orchestrator for Jerry, I figured it might be of interest. And I started the Stevens thread, so I know it's there.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    OK, just checking.

(That line of reasoning has left me somewhat flummoxed.)
  3. Might try some Pepto-Bismol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm not familiar with his work, but I do have a high admiration for people with double-barrelled names. Did you also create a thread for him but are refusing to post in it for a non-specific reason?
  4. Well, Stevens and Goldsmith's TV work from that era sometimes have some things in common, and I thought it might be of general interest in listen. Check it out as it opens with some bombastic western stuff.

Eventually when I have enough episode collect, I will post links to episode of the series Stevens scores, in his thread (links from the TVLand website).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2009
    EPIC GOLDSMITH RADIO CELEBRATION!

Varèse Sarabande Records and Sirius/XM’s Cinemagic launch a weeklong, 80th birthday celebration remembering and honoring the life and work of one of Hollywood’s greatest film composers of all time …Jerry Goldsmith.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp?pid=Jerry
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthortimme
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2009
    right now you can listen to planet of the apes suite! This is a treat for all Goldsmith fans
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009
    Been listening since 4 pm and Ive been in Goldsmith heaven. Right now Basic Instinct.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009 edited
    moonie wrote
    Been listening since 4 pm and Ive been in Goldsmith heaven. Right now Basic Instinct.

A real marathon eh Mooner!? cool

It's now actually 10th February here in the UK, in a few hours time it would have been Jerry's 80th birthday, how crushingly sad it is that this behemoth of film scoring is no longer with us sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Yes truly. I actually cried real tears when I heard of his passing when it happened, and was really upset most of the day. I'm sure I'm not alone there. Even if you guys consider yourselves 'manly' men, I'm sure at least you wanted to cry. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Yes truly. I actually cried real tears when I heard of his passing when it happened, and was really upset most of the day. I'm sure I'm not alone there. Even if you guys consider yourselves 'manly' men, I'm sure at least you wanted to cry. wink

It didn't really hit me and sink in until I played one of his scores and realised the enormity of a world of film without Goldsmith ever scoring it again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    I remember looking at my wife with a sad face and saying , Jerry's Gone , I was very upset for quite awhile after that.
    I really miss him sad
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    The moment I heard of his passing I watched the end of First Knight.
    I equated the passing of King Arthur to Jerry's passing.
    If I had a sword I would have raised it high at that moment.
    It was quite an emotional experience!
    The king is dead. Long live the king!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Atham wrote
    The moment I heard of his passing I watched the end of First Knight.
    I equated the passing of King Arthur to Jerry's passing.
    If I had a sword I would have raised it high at that moment.
    It was quite an emotional experience!
    The king is dead. Long live the king!

How very fitting , Im glad Im home from work today.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  6. I played Powder the minute I heard about it.

What happened then is between me and Jerry. smile
  7. I had just woken up early to do a phone interview with Gabriel Yared, so I had not been online. During the interview he broke the terrible news to me. That's a hell of a day dampner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2009
    13th Warrior
    a tree grows in brooklyn
    Aliens
    Blue Max, The
    the omen scores
    First Knight
    mulan
    papillon
    patton - lp version
    powder
    rambo first blood
    rudy (expanded)
    the mummy
    rudy (expanded)
    The Sum of All Fears
    Total Recall (Deluxe Edition)
    Wild Rovers

This is what i have...

What am i missing?

I've started listening to a lot of Goldsmith lately and i am appreciating the man's absolute greatness even more and i'm thrilled. But i know i am missing essential stuff. So which are they? And please keep it to the absolute must-haves!

punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A few essentials to start you off...

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    The Wind and the Lion
    Capricorn One

In fact, pretty much anything he wrote in the late 70s / early 80s isn't just good, it's GREAT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2009 edited
    Rambo III
    The 13th Warrior (Complete)
    Sleeping With The Enemy
    The Wind and the Lion
    The Ghost and the Darkness
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  8. Basic Instinct, The Russia House, Rambo III
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ThankS punk I am also waiting for Erik's contributions wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. Christodoulides wrote

Aliens

shocked

Absolute must haves are IMO:

Poltergeist
    Under Fire
    Lionheart
    Rambo III
    The Burbs: DE (if you can find it)
    Basic Instinct
    Mulan promo

You can do no wrong with those. Classic late Goldsmith.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. Oh and yes, D. It's ALIEN
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAlthazan
    I would add:

Medicine Man
    Legend
    Night Crossing
    Bad Girls
    The Shadow (!)
    Masada (!)
    QB VII
    The Edge (!)
    The Sand Pebbles: The Deluxe Edition
    The Boys From Brazil (COMPLETE, still available at Intrada) (!)

and I agree with Marselus:
    The Ghost and the Darkness (!!!) and
    The Wind and the Lion (COMPLETE) (!!!)
    are totally MUST HAVE!!!

Regards,
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The problem with your question, D, is that you're going to end up with recommendations for almost every score he ever wrote.

If we are talking about totally essential, can't-live-without albums, then there are some on the lists above I would go for before others. But then, I've reviewed them all over the years. I wonder what I gave five stars to?