• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Using phrase "rumor control" would have gotten Alien3 wishers excited?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Another update from Intrada on whether or not they have changed their minds of doing "Junior Bonner" (Fielding):

I took another run at it. The problem is it's a short score and the only available elements were 1/4" mono stored at BYU. And BYU raised their transfer rates 10 fold, making the deal financially out of reach. We had the same issue with FUNERAL HOME -- really high costs, but in that case due to the Canadian Musician's Union. But that was a decent length score coming from 24-track stereo elements so we were able to charge a premium price (and thank you all, still, for supporting that release even with the high price tag). And that will be the last score recorded in Canada we do.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. What's BYU?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. www.byu.edu

Unfortunately they have more Fielding, and sadly John Addison film and TV scoring.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    What's BYU?

My alma mater! Brigham Young University is a private university in the States owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It's a well respected school with good athletic teams and strong academics. Their music dept. is particularly good. It's too bad they're making it harder to publish old film music, though :/
  6. Thanks guys!
  7. Coming September 3 from Intrada Records, the long awaited "Sebastian":

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic … amp;t=5742
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2013
    That's excellent news. I really like that score a lot, this will appeal mostly to fans of his Our Man/In Like Flint style.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. DISCONTINUATION ALERT

You have until July 29 to get these:

9. In a new interview with JamesHorner-FilmMusic.com, Intrada Records revealed they are expanded in a 1980's Horner score.

So, here is a list of the 1980's scores by the composer, minus titles that have already recieved limited editions (I may have missed one or two), and minus scores that have never been released (again, I may have missed one or two); so one of these is it:

Glory (1989)
    Dad (1989)
    In Country (1989)
    Tummy Trouble (1989)
    Field of Dreams (1989)
    Cocoon: The Return (1988)
    The Land Before Time (1988)
    Willow (1988)
    Vibes (1988)
    Red Heat (1988)
    Project X (1987)
    An American Tail (1986)
    The Name of the Rose (1986)
    Where the River Runs Black (1986)
    Cocoon (1985)
    Heaven Help Us (1985)
    The Dresser (1983)
    Brainstorm (1983)
    Deadly Blessing (1981)
    The Hand (1981)
    Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)
    Humanoids from the Deep (1980)
  10. Brainstorm would be the only one of that list that would grab my attention.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. A thread at FSM about the score to "Terms of Endearment" (Michael Gore) had a poster ask about a possible new, dialogue-free release, since a new DVD release is coming. Quartet Records chimed in:

wink

Cleaned and expanded?.. Yes, why not?
  12. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Brainstorm would be the only one of that list that would grab my attention.

An American Tail could certainly do with a remaster. I think an expansion might be worth it too, though I don't really remember the film well enough to point out specific missing cues; I'm pretty sure there's some decent stuff missing though.

But Horner's albums are usually plenty generous in length, even back in those days, so you're right, none of the other titles really seem in need of an expansion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2013 edited
    I've never heard An American Tail - though I have heard great things about it from various individuals over the years.
  13. Two new scores from Atli Orvarrson, from MovieScore Media & Kronos Records:

"A Single Shot" and "Colette", both new films.
  14. "Poltergeist II" update:

Fewer than 100 left!

I'm sure it will be sold out at some point tomorrow.
  15. I just listened to audio clips from Gravity by Steven Price on amazon.

This seems to be much in the vain of what Cliff Martinez did for Solaris. Which makes me wonder why Clooney didn't turn to Martinez again in the first place.

Nothing I necessarily need on CD.

Volker

Edit: Clooney didn't direct this film ... shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2013
    Martinez? SOLARIS? I'm SOLD! My kind of stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Thor wrote
    Martinez? SOLARIS? I'm SOLD! My kind of stuff.

Yeah, I like that score, too, especially in context and because it somewhat resembles the original Artemiev score.

On CD though one of it's kind is enough and so I probably won't go for the GRAVITY score. Of course the whole thing might prove me wrong. Just talking audio clips here.

BTW I am looking forward to seing that film.
  17. Coming from Quartet Records:

COMING SOON NEXT WEEK...

THE DELTA FORCE
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack in 2-CD Set
    Music Composed and Performed by Alan Silvestri
    Limited Edition of 1000 units

CD-1 includes the complete score -same program as the previously Intrada release.

CD-2 includes the original 1986 album program
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2013
    I'd like to refer to the response my honourable friend Thor is about to give.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  18. "Shut up, Thor!"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote

I can just 'ibidem' at this point.

Latin jokes, they aren't what they used to be.
    I am extremely serious.
  19. Yeah, though there is a great story how a priest and professor on our university was teaching Bible and Ancient traditions and after one of his lectures a student came to him:

"Father, could you tell me who is that Ibidem I see in footnotes everywhere? I can't find him!"
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  20. New, none film score release by Tuomss Kantalinen:

Snow Queen, the ballet I composed for choreographer (and good friend) Kenneth Greve's version of H.C. Andersen's tale, premiered at the Finnish National Ballet in November 2012 - all 20 performances were sold out for the first season, and almost sold out for the coming Christmas season!

The CD of the 'Snow Queen Ballet Suite' is now out in Scandinavia through record label Ondine and will be available via Naxos worldwide with release in other territories slated throughout this autumn.

Under this link some more info on the CD, and in the playlist you can click to listen to a couple of cues as well - hope you like it!

http://www.ondine.net/?lid=en&cid=2.2&oid=5086
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2013
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

I can just 'ibidem' at this point.

Latin jokes, they aren't what they used to be.

biggrin applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Brainstorm would be the only one of that list that would grab my attention.

I agree, mostly because my Varese release ( the very first CD I ever bought, back in 1987 ) is deteriorating, the last two tracks no longer play on any medium.

Alan, I recommend AN AMERICAN TAIL, Horner at the top of his game, a wonderful score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    There are NOOO cats in AMERICA!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2013 edited
    Scribe wrote
    There are NOOO cats in AMERICA!

biggrin Yeah, a few bits are an acquired taste. But there's still plenty of great score.
  21. New from Quartet Records, along with "The Delta Force":

TEXAS, ADDIO
    Expanded Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Music Composed and Conducted by Antón García Abril
    Limited Edition of 500 units

Texas, Addio (1966) stars Franco Nero as Burt Sullivan, an American Sheriff who crosses the border to Mexico in order to settle an old score with a ruthless landowner. When it turns out that Burt's kid brother Jim is related to his nemesis, the Sheriff must re-calculate his plans. Released in the wake of the extremely bloody Django, every producer tried to capitalize on Nero's sudden fame and several movies were hailed as sequels or spiritual successors of the first movie (even though a real sequel wasn't made until 1987). Among its peers, Texas, addio is among the more distinguished films to make this claim - but while the story is quite good, it is surprisingly tame by Django standards.

The music by Spanish composer Antón García Abril is built around the theme song by Don Powell, whose ballad sings about the background of the Sullivan family and the tragedy that struck them. Variations of the theme a cleverly used in the score, including a mellow romantic take for the family and a heroic version for the trek. The other strength of the score is the lively source music, including solo guitar pieces and mariachi tunes. Abril understands the rules of the sub-genre and provides what may arguably be the best Italo-Western score done by a non-Italian composer - had it appeared in a stronger movie, it may be better known today!

The score has been released twice on CD, but the Japanese CD by King Records and the Italian CD by Screen Trax had slightly different contents and the programs were rather different (even the track titles didn't match). A real fan had to get both releases to get the full picture - until now. Our new release, carefully mastered by Claudio Fuiano, provides all the music from the previous CDs plus a little bit more, offering the most complete presentation of the score that's possible at this point.
    The package includes liner notes by Gergely Hubai discuss the film and the score and guides you through some of the backstage politics of scoring Italian/Spanish co-productions in the 1960s.

Available for pre-order now. The CD will ship next September, 12.
    For more info and listen audio samples, please visit www.quartetrecords.com