• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010
    Martijn wrote

I like Nolan as a director.
    His views on how sound should work in films I'm less keen on.
    (I'm not saying it's not valid. Actually I think it is and quite an interesting one at that.
    It's just completely against anything I think film music should be and do.)

I like that Nolan has a point of view on what his movie should sound like, and Hans' scores for Nolan's movies does sound different than his scores for other directors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah.
    “The aim is for there to be a complete sonic world for the movie,” Zimmer adds.
    “The instruments should bleed into the sound effects and the sound effects should bleed
    into the music.”

slant

"sonic world".
    Read: "loads of wall-to-wall noise, becasue either silence OR lyricism is scary." slant

I like Nolan as a director.
    His views on how sound should work in films I'm less keen on.
    (I'm not saying it's not valid. Actually I think it is and quite an interesting one at that.
    It's just completely against anything I think film music should be and do.)

Music = also sound design is what they've been doing forever with Zimmer anyway. It's the duo's identity.

“The idea of incorporating a guitar in the score can be a little tricky
    because guitar and orchestra don’t always gel

Tell that to your RC minions wink

Edith Piaf? :excited:
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    that's why I LOVE hans zimmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010 edited
    Why, because he says things that don't apply to his music or his minions' music? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah.
    “The aim is for there to be a complete sonic world for the movie,” Zimmer adds.
    “The instruments should bleed into the sound effects and the sound effects should bleed
    into the music.”

slant

"sonic world".
    Read: "loads of wall-to-wall noise, becasue either silence OR lyricism is scary." slant

OR, read: "timeless romantic lyricism from Edith Piath's voice", as Nolan talked about using Piaf's song and wanted it to be a part of the sonic world, wondering wether he'd "give it to the sound effects department or to Hans" (so 'sound effect' could very well be referring to Piath).

So in a modern film score, a song by Piath will be an integral part. Sounds great and wonderfully postmodern to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Really? slant

Sounds incredibly mainstream, stale and uninspired to me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, Piaf (or similar-type artists) have popped up periodically in film scores over the last few years. Not terribly original, but I'll wait to see how she is being used before I pass judgement.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, Piaf (or similar-type artists) have popped up periodically in film scores over the last few years. Not terribly original, but I'll wait to see how she is being used before I pass judgement.

Can you name a few scores for me so I can get an idea of what we're talking here?
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010
    Track list and running times:

1 Hans Zimmer Half Remembered Dream 01:12

2 Hans Zimmer We Built Our Own World 01:56

3 Hans Zimmer Dream Is Collapsing 02:24

4 Hans Zimmer Radical Notion 03:43

5 Hans Zimmer Old Souls 07:44

6 Hans Zimmer 528491 02:24

7 Hans Zimmer Mombasa 04:54

8 Hans Zimmer One Simple Idea 02:28

9 Hans Zimmer Dream Within A Dream 05:04

10 Hans Zimmer Waiting For A Train 09:30

11 Hans Zimmer Paradox 03:25

12 Hans Zimmer Time 04:36

49:20 Total

source: www.warnermusic.ch
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010
    It deserved Alf Clausen. I don't know why they felt they needed to bring Zimmer on board.

Onto Sherlock Holmes, could someone explain to me how such an amazingly FUN score managed to get an Oscar nomination?!?? I thought The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Mask of Zorro, The Mummy and countless others had shown us that if it's actually fun and (God forbid) entertaining music, then it can't be Oscar material.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    SH is amazingly fun? Yeah, why not. When throwing the CD around as a frisbee for the doggie to fetch it smile
  1. I like Holmes, too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Well, tell you what: it's catchy. That one theme is instantly entertaining. You don't even need the CD to have it stuck in your head after watching the movie. And that, in itself is surprising for an Oscar pick. I mean SH gets Oscar attention, but not The Rocketeer, with its epic theme?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It's quirky.
    That's the number one characteristic that defines Oscar material.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010
    Hm! Interesting point. I never really thought of Kundun as exactly quirky, and on the other hand The Nightmare Before Christmas is nothing if not quirky... I guess quirkiness can be a strong criteria, but the biggest one remains perhaps the bribes that pass under just the right tables.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010
    Zimmer's inception make me search in sites, wait for the samples, etc.... Its a long time since the last time I did it.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010
    Samples are up on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U9 … amp;sr=1-1

I could be wrong and really enjoy this score, but so far I haven't been expecting much. I like a lot of Zimmer's stuff, but his work on Batman Begins/Dark Knight just didn't maintain my interest outside of the film. I'm expecting Inception to be another of those Zimmer scores that fits the mood of the film really well but doesn't match my listening tastes. From the samples it sounds like he has a pretty simple 2-note motif going on again. "Time" looks like it could be a very neat track though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010 edited
    528491 is the music used in the trailer and which was composed by someone else specifically for the trailer (can't remember his name but it's somewhere in this thread). I wonder if Zimmer will get credited for it smile

The whole score has the sound of the trailer, which i really like.

One simple idea could easily be part of his batman cd's.

It sounds like a darker version of THE DARK KNIGHT which is very ok with me. Nolan has really found the sound he wanted with Zimmer, we have to admit it :0

Also 'time' sounds like the chavalliers (whatever the title was, from da vinci code), THE DARK KNIGHT edition.

I can say i am excited about this one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    SH is amazingly fun? Yeah, why not. When throwing the CD around as a frisbee for the doggie to fetch it smile

Wow! I'm going against D dizzy , I LIKE Sherlock Holmes, it IS a fun score cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010 edited
    WOW!!!! Amazing!!!

"mombasa" biggrin M:I2?

I love this 2 notes brass motif. It's more effective than Batman one. ( i know, it's based in the music from the trailer)
    "time" is a new zimmer adagio! and it's welcomed!

Zimmer + electric guitars+bells+ electronics brass+ nolan experience= noisy orgasm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    There also seems to some good ol' Zimmer action music in there, like in Dream Is Collapsing, and yeah Time is great too. Looking forward to this one. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    If you want someone doing conventional things, Zimmer is not your man.

If you want someone composing sympphonic stuff, Zimmer is not your man.

If you want someone crazy, funny and powerful, Zimmer is our man!!!!!!!!!!! punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    If you want someone doing conventional things, Zimmer is not your man.

If you want someone composing sympphonic stuff, Zimmer is not your man.

If you want someone crazy, funny and powerful, Zimmer is our man!!!!!!!!!!! punk punk

As usual with the Zimmer clones, the orchestra seems to be totally buried under tones of ambient and sound design.

That said, I agree with you.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    WOW!!!! Amazing!!!

I love this 2 notes brass motif. It's more effective than Batman one. ( i know, it's based in the music from the trailer)

Zimmer + electric guitars+bells+ electronics brass+ nolan experience= noisy orgasm

The main motif is the same from the trailers, complete with the ostinati which is a very good thing.
  2. It seems that Hemsey wrote the trailer music off Zimmer themes then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    528491 is the music used in the trailer and which was composed by someone else specifically for the trailer (can't remember his name but it's somewhere in this thread). I wonder if Zimmer will get credited for it smile

No. There were multiple previews for this movie with different music written for each. Only the recent one has the notable composition by Zack Hemsey. The motif you heard is from one of the the first preview, and wasn't credited specifically to anyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It seems that Hemsey wrote the trailer music off Zimmer themes then?

Sounds like it doesn't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    WOW!!!! Amazing!!!

The main motif is the same from the trailers, complete with the ostinati which is a very good thing.

It's not the same. it's inspired on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It seems that Hemsey wrote the trailer music off Zimmer themes then?

Or the contrary and Zimmer will get credited for it in the end; sounds more logical to me wink The trailer music was long existing, months ago.
  3. Zimmer was already working on the score.