• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010
    HANS ZIMMER to perform live at INCEPTION premiere.
    Oscar®-winning composer Hans Zimmer and heralded guitarist Johnny Marr (The Smiths, Modest Mouse, The Cribs) will perform a special concert backed by a 20-piece orchestra Tuesday, July 13th. Immediately following the film's Los Angeles premiere, the one-time concert takes place at the official after-party on the same day as the soundtrack, Inception: Music From The Motion Picture, is released by Warner Bros. Records. The performance will stream live to fans at http://www.ustream.tv/inceptionpremiere. Proceeds from tickets sold to the Inception film premiere and after-party event will benefit the Alliance for Climate Protection.

Zimmer will sign copies of Inception: Music From The Motion Picture at Amoeba Music, 6400 W. Sunset Blvd., in Los Angeles on Thursday, July 15th, at 8 pm. A midnight screening of Inception will follow at the nearby Arclight Hollywood Cinema, 6360 W. Sunset Blvd.

The first 200 fans to purchase the Inception Soundtrack fan pack will receive a movie poster, the CD soundtrack, a guaranteed place in line to meet Zimmer at the signing, and a ticket to the midnight screening – the first official showing of the film – at the Arclight Hollywood. Packages go on sale at Amoeba for $35 beginning on July 13th at 10:30 am.

Inception, directed by Christopher Nolan (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight) and starring an international cast led by Leonardo DiCaprio, opens nationwide in theatres and IMAX on July 16th. For more information, please visit InceptionScore.com

(source: Hans Zimmer)

http://www.ustream.tv/inceptionpremiere
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010
    A perfect Day!

After Inception, One of my favourite tracks ever played live video!!!!! Whatc it! It's mindblowing!

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/newsite.php?rub=news
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Nautilus wrote
    A perfect Day!

After Inception, One of my favourite tracks ever played live video!!!!! Whatc it! It's mindblowing!

Do they mention JNH anywhere at all in this Dark Knight event?

In another topic, I now have a copy of Henri 4 I haven't had a chance to listen to yet. Thoughts on this one?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. Crap. Zimmer did only one cue, he isn't even credited as a composer in the film (producer only)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    HeeroJF wrote
    In another topic, I now have a copy of Henri 4 I haven't had a chance to listen to yet. Thoughts on this one?

If you are expecting some kind of blend between Pirates of the Caribbean and Trevor Morris' The Tudors, then you might be disappointed. But I think it's a gentle, contemplative album (with a few action cues as well). The highlights are a nice, subtle main theme that grows upon repeated listens, as well as some beautiful interpretations of classical pieces.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Hey! Sounds good! I look forward to it. I'm still ploughing my way through Marathon Man right now and many new Morricone titles, too. I also want to make time to listen to How to Train Your Dragon again and the 3-CD Alamo. Lots of new stuff to listen to this month.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010 edited
    Scribe wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

If you are expecting some kind of blend between Pirates of the Caribbean and Trevor Morris' The Tudors, then you might be disappointed. But I think it's a gentle, contemplative album (with a few action cues as well). The highlights are a nice, subtle main theme that grows upon repeated listens, as well as some beautiful interpretations of classical pieces.

On point with I wrote about my impressions while back. It grows on you after a few listen. The melodies are there and it's not boring at all. There's a flow to it. It's no The Tudors though. And it's much much better than Paul Cantelon's The Other Boyelyn Girl, which is a score that more people like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HENRI IV is an uninspired attempt to sound like Gladiator.

The opening and closing cues are by Zimmer and it shows, they're the most notable cues on album, quite strong ones. I listen to it from time to time, it's rather atmospheric and depressing at places; quite non-intrusive, pleasant background listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    confused Besides the remote similarities that all Zimmer and Zimmer-influenced scores share, I don't see the slightest Gladiator influence on Henri IV.

To each their own (opinion), I guess?
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    HENRI IV is an uninspired attempt to sound like Gladiator.

The opening and closing cues are by Zimmer and it shows, they're the most notable cues on album, quite strong ones. I listen to it from time to time, it's rather atmospheric and depressing at places; quite non-intrusive, pleasant background listen.

I've heard that Zimmer actually only did an action cue.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    confused Besides the remote similarities that all Zimmer and Zimmer-influenced scores share, I don't see the slightest Gladiator influence on Henri IV.

Well, every epic / war score rc created since tries to sound like dramatic, slower Gladiator or King Arthur.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    A perfect Day!

That's dark knight, where's the inception video?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    A perfect Day!

That's dark knight, where's the inception video?

it's the dark Knight video. A dark Knight it's one of my all time favourite pieces. So i love this video!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ....it's too synthetic and kinda drafty; the original version is by far superior but thanks for sharing. Is there the inception video available anywhere? i missed the live performance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    ....it's too synthetic and kinda drafty; the original version is by far superior but thanks for sharing. Is there the inception video available anywhere? i missed the live performance.

The live performance is tomorrow, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The live performance is tomorrow, right?

You're right, my bad. I went into that site and it read 'last broadcast was 50something minutes ago' and i thought i missed it. Anyway will be at work tomorrow so i'll miss it then but i have no worries, the wonders of the internet will do me justice when i finally get to it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

Well, every epic / war score rc created since tries to sound like dramatic, slower Gladiator or King Arthur.

By that logic, couldn't we also say that Marianelli's Agora (NOT saying that Henri IV is at the same level!), and dozens of other scores in the genre by very talented composers are also "attempts to sound like Gladiator"? And didn't that style really start with The Thin Red Line?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    We have to draw the line somewhere. Are we going to accuse every single film composer in history of copying King Kong for "trying to sound like film music" as Max Steiner pioneered it? To an extend, starting a trend is never a bad thing if it leads to fun uses of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, not at all; i am commenting and noticing stuff here, i am not accusing anyone.

I am talking the rc team mainly (others have done it too since those scores came out, but in more broad ways usually).

Zimmer created Gladiator, Blackhawk down and now the dark knight / batman begins sound and it's really setting a standard for the rest of the rc composers to follow each time in similar scenarios.

The rc team frequently produces these standardized, long dramatic Zimmer chords, the big bold ones with lots of string and contra-bass and some brass at points, all through synthetic enhancement and lots of reverb in the way that sounds stemming from elements of king arthur crossed with Gladiator and they've done it quite a few times.

Agora had a very different instrumentation and melodic procession and the use of harmony is quite different; it clearly shows a composer who comes from a very different musical background; no relation. I am not talking generally here, but direct lines some people follow to reach a specific result. Listen to the opening cue from HENRI IV for example; it quickly sends an experienced listener to the slower dramatic parts of Gladiator and of course King Arthur; stylistically and of course via the dramatic usage of the chords and instrumentation.

Other examples that might help you understand what i am saying here, are for e.g the pacific that directly links to Kamen's main titles from the first series, crossed with pseudo-the thin red line material, nick glennie's smith very ttrl-influenced 'we were soldiers' and Zimmer's/Badelt's 'invincible' in the same category as well, and there are others as well, like the BlackHawk down countless imitations since it was released whenever someone wants to link musically to war in middle east, ah Steve Jablonsky's general body of work and that 'live from Baghdad' thingy Bill Brown's command and conquer (2?3? can't remember which was exactly) comes to mind, the entire RC has done it at least once or twice each of them in similar scenarios, game music in general and one Rupert Gregson Williams
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Even before he created all those "sounds," he also created the Rain Man sound.

Zimmer's really a pioneering composer, no questions of it.

Steiner invented dramatic film music...
    North added jazz to the emotional lexicon of film music, with Bernstein and Rosenmen's help
    Williams re-invented the Wagnerian leitmotif idea
    ...and now Zimmer created the modern film music sound.

Pantheon of cinema innovators and Zimmer's definitely got a rightful place there. Another one who deserves to be there is Thomas Newman. I hate his work but his "sound" is an amazingly effective and totally innovative concept.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    HeeroJF wrote
    Williams re-invented the Wagnerian leitmotif idea

I wouldn't say he "re-invented the Wagnerian leitmotif idea", as it had never gone away, nor did he do anything particular to "re-invent" it. I would rather say that he RE-POPULARIZED the neo-romantic, symphonic style of the great Golden Agers - in an updated, more contemporary tone language (at times even using jazz chords).

But of course, I agree with you re: Zimmer. He's THE most influential film composers in the last 20 years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Well, I guess I am just not musically educated enough to hear the similarities you are pointing out. It all just "slow dramatic music" to me, and it's all interesting and enjoyable because it's never the exact same set of notes and textures. I don't get the sense when listening to Henri IV that I am listening to the same music from Gladiator and King Arthur (a pair of scores which are quite different from each other themselves). As you say, there are certainly stylistic similarities, but the very fact that Henri IV is so laid-back and subtle through most of its length is what seems to differentiate it from Gladiator and King Arthur, neither of which anyone would really say are very subtle? Or would they?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No disagreement here smile Just general discussion on the traces of the RC's sound (and many other non-rc, mostly young composers') back to these 3 movies/scores, according to their scenarios / theme.

The early Zimmer sound was more vague and out-there, than his much more specific and focused newer sound; if i were to set one era of Zimmer scores in which he started getting more precise with his sound and thus way more influential to the rest of the film music community, that'd be 'backdraft', 'crimson tide', 'the rock'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Well, I guess I am just not musically educated enough to hear the similarities you are pointing out. It all just "slow dramatic music" to me, and it's all interesting and enjoyable because it's never the exact same set of notes and textures. I don't get the sense when listening to Henri IV that I am listening to the same music from Gladiator and King Arthur (a pair of scores which are quite different from each other themselves). As you say, there are certainly stylistic similarities, but the very fact that Henri IV is so laid-back and subtle through most of its length is what seems to differentiate it from Gladiator and King Arthur, neither of which anyone would really say are very subtle? Or would they?

Not as a whole, just their slower dramatic bits, from both Gladiator and King Arthur (which is basically Gladiator on steroids). There are a lot of those in these films, do you only remember the action cues?

And i didn't say "the same music as Gladiator and King Arthur", i was very specific with what i said.

It's not all new and fresh, Part of that Zimmer sound which we are discussing here, is the chord procession; one who's familiar with harmony in general, can trace certain processions, what comes before and after which chord, usually and in general lines, according to the scene, theme of the movie and that's what RC is doing basically all these years, recycling those ideas (with few exceptions like Powell, the newer Badelt).
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Thor wrote
    I wouldn't say he "re-invented the Wagnerian leitmotif idea", as it had never gone away, nor did he do anything particular to "re-invent" it. I would rather say that he RE-POPULARIZED the neo-romantic, symphonic style of the great Golden Agers - in an updated, more contemporary tone language (at times even using jazz chords).

Very true. And of course, Williams got a little hand in "re-popularizing" it through the work of two little people called Spielberg and Lucas. If their movies hadn't been so successful, Williams' work wouldn't have achieved half of what it did. Poor Goldsmith is there to prove that. Probably as masterful an artist as Williams and yet he never quite "got his Star Wars."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    STOP!

No more Zimmer influence discussion pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way , Inception is a mix of Dark Knight's oppressive brass, Vangelis sound (this sampled Saxo that Zimmer also used in regarding henry, very appropiete for a noir film) and Arnold's Nigh at the opera ( the notes and electronics)

So, so many secretism about this project and while some tracks are mindblowing there is nothing new on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Vangelis is everywhere beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

So, so many secretism about this project and while some tracks are mindblowing there is nothing new on it.

Where's the "secretism"? Nobody said anything about it yet, you're the one imaging things in your mind again and coming to very fast conclusions just from the streaming wink Oh man you never change.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Well, I believe Pawel did say that Zimmer or his associates were deliberately refusing to say much about the score in the months leading up til now...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's not all new and fresh, Part of that Zimmer sound which we are discussing here, is the chord procession; one who's familiar with harmony in general, can trace certain processions, what comes before and after which chord, usually and in general lines, according to the scene, theme of the movie and that's what RC is doing basically all these years, recycling those ideas (with few exceptions like Powell, the newer Badelt).

That would be where I fail. I can't study the harmony and chord progressions like that.