• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    He hates re-using ideas? What about THE DARK KNIGHT. Or his romantic comedy scores that could all be part of one large album? Or the variations of Gladiator he did after that film?

And i think you meant: " but with enough interesting variations (...)" wink

Zimmer said he hated scoring sequels, but When he dit it, he obviusly had to re use ideas.

Happenned with Pirates of caribbean (even if the orchestrations changed from score to score) and it happened with the Dark Knight again.

I expect in Angels and Demons something similiar to The Dark Knight. He will use the themes and motifs from the first film, with new arrengements and some new themes. The diference is, Batman begins was easy to surpass.

The Da Vinci Code was a perfect match between score and suites. Between classical music, religious music and more contemporany musical techniques.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Da Vinci Code was a greater continuation of HANNIBAL, musically. I think Angels and Demons will be even closer to Hannibal dark territories.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Da Vinci Code was a greater continuation of HANNIBAL, musically. I think Angels and Demons will be even closer to Hannibal dark territories.

Yeap. Probably. But I can see more synthetiser integration, since the main argument is a little bit more about "technology".

I hope, Zimmer mixes the instruments louder than in The Da Vinci Code, where they were a little bit muded (Thing wich didn't happen in Hannibal or The Ring).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm expecting something better than The Da Vinci Code. Why? Zimmer always seems to improve on his ideas when he scores a sequel:

Batman Begins < The Dark Knight
    Dead Man's Chest < At World's End
    and even:
    Madagascar < Madagascar 2

I think it's just the way he works. He takes what was good from the first score and builds more ideas upon them. It may be very similiar, but I think it will be 'better'. That's one theory anyway...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2009
    Don't you mean < ?
  1. Yes, that's what he meant smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    I'm expecting something better than The Da Vinci Code. Why? Zimmer always seems to improve on his ideas when he scores a sequel:

Yes, I agree, that's why I'm looking forward to this score. He seems more comfortable with sequel scores, writes often a more coherrent score that's more grounded in its environment and with always adding new ideas, his sequel scores are a more richer experience. It happened with all the scores you mentioned. Also, you've come to know several themes well, so it's a delight to hear them be continued and expanded on.

Nautilus wrote
    But I can see more synthetiser integration, since the main argument is a little bit more about "technology".

To be honest, I can hardly believe that. If you look at the marketing material (trailer, poster, etc.) you can see Howard once again goes for a classical approach, heavy on Catholic symbols, Roman architecture, etc. The story might be more technical (?, never read the book), but that's not the created atmosphere in which it is told, so the music will follow along the same line of The Da Vinci Code.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Don't you mean < ?

PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, that's what he meant smile

Shut up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote

and even:

I think it's just the way he works. He takes what was good from the first score and builds more ideas upon them. It may be very similiar, but I think it will be 'better'. That's one theory anyway...

Dead man's chest, Madagascar or neither Batman Begins was comparable to the masterpiece The da Vinci Code is.

So Zimmer didn't had to do very much to improve over the scores you mentioned above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Nautilus wrote
    Dead man's chest, Madagascar or neither Batman Begins was comparable to the masterpiece The da Vinci Code is.

Even a very good score can be enrichened in thematics, or expanded on in musical ideas. They eventually might be their equal in quality, but as a listening experience, I'm expecting a richer one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Nautilus wrote
    The Da Vinci Code was a perfect match between score and suites.

That's what I really hope he will do again, by the way; use the same approach in starting to compose a big suite, and then take elements from it for the movie, yet use that suite as a basis for the soundtrack album. lick He also seems to have done that a lot for The Dark Knight and several of his previous score, so big chance he will do it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

and even:

So Zimmer didn't had to do very much to improve over the scores you mentioned above.

You're completely missing my point though. It's like that old saying, "standing on the shoulders of giants". That's similiar to how Zimmer works when he scores a sequel, he simply builds upon the best thing from his previous score and then works up from there. Regardless of how 'good or bad' the first score is, my point is he'll probably improve upon it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bob, It's not the case with everyone though, see Debney for instance. From what it seems, he'll never surpass PASSION OF THE CHRIST.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bob, It's not the case with everyone though, see Debney for instance. From what it seems, he'll never surpass PASSION OF THE CHRIST.

Hey, the Passion Symphony seems like his sequel to The Passion of the Christ in a way, and he certainly expanded on his ideas there wink. I don't think it's a better composition, or I'm not sure on it, but he did do a comparable thing there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Hey, the Passion Symphony seems like his sequel to The Passion of the Christ in a way, and he certainly expanded on his ideas there wink. I don't think it's a better composition, or I'm not sure on it, but he did do a comparable thing there.

I think The Passion Symphony is his best work ´til date, and the one he´ll never surpass IMO. I mean he took all the themes and great material of The Passion score and improved them with a bigger orchestra, soloists and choir. Stunning.

On the other hand, I don´t know if it is fair to compare a film score with a full symphony, where he had no limits.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes, but one reason is that he can hardly write such music for some crappy comedy movies. I don't think there will be a Passion of the Christ 2 some day.... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thomas wrote
    Yes, but one reason is that he can hardly write such music for some crappy comedy movies. I don't think there will be a Passion of the Christ 2 some day.... wink

Considered the success of The Passion of the Christ, I'm expecting Hollywood to greenlight The Passion of the Christ: Return of the Living Dead any moment now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Thomas wrote

Considered the success of The Passion of the Christ, I'm expecting Hollywood to greenlight The Passion of the Christ: Return of the Living Dead any moment now.

Another Family Guy / South park lover i see biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Another Family Guy / South park lover i see biggrin

Hehehe, I do enjoy an episode occasionally wink
  2. Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    He hates re-using ideas? What about THE DARK KNIGHT. Or his romantic comedy scores that could all be part of one large album? Or the variations of Gladiator he did after that film?

And i think you meant: " but with enough interesting variations (...)" wink

Zimmer said he hated scoring sequels, but When he dit it, he obviusly had to re use ideas.

Happenned with Pirates of caribbean (even if the orchestrations changed from score to score) and it happened with the Dark Knight again.

I expect in Angels and Demons something similiar to The Dark Knight. He will use the themes and motifs from the first film, with new arrengements and some new themes. The diference is, Batman begins was easy to surpass.

The Da Vinci Code was a perfect match between score and suites. Between classical music, religious music and more contemporany musical techniques.

yep, this is what I meant
    he can't escape from the fact he'll have to use the themes, but he will not make of it another Da Vinci Code

+

Isn't Angels & Demons a prequel of The Da Vinci Code?
    Who knows he will only state the theme at the end?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. The novel is a prequel, but I guess they make the movie as a sequel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The novel is a prequel, but I guess they make the movie as a sequel.

Why?
  4. I don't know exactly, but wasn't that stated publicly? It is advertised as a sequel!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The novel is a prequel, but I guess they make the movie as a sequel.

dizzy

It never stopped Red Dragon being a prequal to Silence of The Lambs?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. It was advertised as a prequel though, I think!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Angels & Demons came out before Da Vinci Code, but the movie was written as if A&D is the sequel; but that shouldn´t be a problem, since they have nearly nothing to do with each other.

To anyone wondering what the score will be like, you should keep in mind that A&D has the same kind of religious quest, so there will definitely be elements from DVC in it, BUT A&D has a lot more urgency with this quest, so it will almost certainly be a more driven score, with more action, and some incredibly epic moments during the end, which will either nail that scene or ruin it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who cares what'll do to the movie; i want it to ROCK on cd, like DVC did!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm sure it will, I have a lot of faith in Zimmer with this project. (But, I could be wrong. wink)
    • CommentAuthorkosinek
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009
    So what do You Think about the tracklist?
    A bit short comparing to The Da Vinci Code.
    Of course we can expect loong track (like "A Dark Knight")

1. I60 BPM
    2. God Particle
    3. Air
    4. Fire
    5. Black Smoke
    6. Science and Religion
    7. Immolation
    8. Election by Adoration
    9. 503
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009