• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    The Polar Express - Alan Silvestri

This will be the last listen for the next months.

I caught this movie on TV last night and the dead eyes-thing gave me the willies!! Silvestri's score was very effective in the bits of the movie I saw.

Tell me about! That film creeps the shite out of me. And it's horribly sickening... I can't believe this is the same guy who made Back To The Future. shame <- Zemeckis

vomit
  1. NP: A Kiss Before Dying - Howard Shore

My first listen of this score and I'm pleased with what I'm hearing. Reminds me very much of the moody passages from The Silence of The Lambs - and it's great to hear some more of this type of scoring from Shore.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007 edited
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    The Polar Express - Alan Silvestri

This will be the last listen for the next months.

I caught this movie on TV last night and the dead eyes-thing gave me the willies!! Silvestri's score was very effective in the bits of the movie I saw.

Tell me about! That film creeps the shite out of me. And it's horribly sickening... I can't believe this is the same guy who made Back To The Future. shame <- Zemeckis

vomit

I really enjoy the movie... dead eyes and all. The one character that really creeps me out is "Hero Girl" It seems like the completely screwed up the render for that character. She seems to look at other peoples chests instead of their eyes which gives you that creepy, death-eye look and her eyes are spread too far apart. If they were trying to create a younger version of Nona Gaye (the voice of the character) then they failed miserable. As for the rest of the film... it is a lot of fun with dozens of great shots and exciting thrills. Silvestri's score is one of his strongest Zemeckis film scores and the songs are pleasant and full of Christmas spirit. It's a film I will watch every year around this time.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The songs are pleasant? shocked

What about the bit where the three kids start singing on the back of the train? I didn't know whether to laugh out loud or sit there cringing!?

*Shudders*

Never again. I wish Zemeckis would leave CGI animation to the experts (i.e. Pixar).
  2. I watched HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE the other night. Now that's what I call imagination. Every 2 minutes I found myself thinking - 'pretty sure I haven't seen that before'. Zemeckis is too tech-happy.

NP: Daphnis et Chloe (Ravel)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    I watched HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE the other night. Now that's what I call imagination. Every 2 minutes I found myself thinking - 'pretty sure I haven't seen that before'. Zemeckis is too tech-happy.

NP: Daphnis et Chloe (Ravel)

Enjoying Daphnis et Chloe Michael?

At one time Ray Harryhausen had ideas for an animated film using no actors set to this piece....would have been interesting?!

Could have made it eligable for an NP film score? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

What about the bit where the three kids start singing on the back of the train? I didn't know whether to laugh out loud or sit there cringing!?

*Shudders*

Never again. I wish Zemeckis would leave CGI animation to the experts (i.e. Pixar).

Dood... it's a Christmas film FOR CHILDREN with musical numbers. Big friggin' deal. I didn't laugh whatsoever. It's sweet little Christmas song. Man, you're are big Scrooge!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I will list my playing suggestions where I please, good sir. wink

It was a first listen, and for me the third listen is where classical works start to take hold in my mind and either work or don't. I want to learn the themes and motifs of the work so I can enjoy it in more detail.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    It's sweet little Christmas song. Man, you're are big Scrooge!

-Erik-

Boy, you would have loved to be there to see the looks on my family's faces on Christmas day when I posited the question: 'Do we teach kids to be imaginative, or to distrust adults, via this whole Santa game?'
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Boy, you would have loved to be there to see the looks on my family's faces on Christmas day when I posited the question: 'Do we teach kids to be imaginative, or to distrust adults, via this whole Santa game?'

What is wrong with you?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

*Shudders*

Dood... it's a Christmas film FOR CHILDREN with musical numbers. Big friggin' deal. I didn't laugh whatsoever. It's sweet little Christmas song. Man, you're are big Scrooge!

-Erik-

I'm all for films for kids (I guess), but when it's a large production like Polar Express, and with a director who's past films might suggest something far better, then it should be entertaining for all... not overly sentimental and sickening.

Jim Henson [company] managed to do it right in 1992.

And yes, I am a Scrooge to some degree. I don't hate Christmas, I just don't like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    edit
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Exactly Bregt, exactly. Edit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    Exactly Bregt, exactly. Edit.

Yeah. Well. yeah. Euhm.
    Edit.
    Kazoo
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

What is wrong with you?

-Erik-

Oops. I always forget those wink 's. I've rashly assumed my sense of humour was rather transparent at this stage...

NP: Metropolis Symphony (Daugherty)

Truly, as Goldenthal is to Elfman's Batman, so this is to Williams' Superman. Quite a ripping work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

*Shudders*

-Erik-

I'm all for films for kids (I guess), but when it's a large production like Polar Express, and with a director who's past films might suggest something far better, then it should be entertaining for all... not overly sentimental and sickening.

Jim Henson [company] managed to do it right in 1992.

And yes, I am a Scrooge to some degree. I don't hate Christmas, I just don't like it.

Booooooooo!!!

I can't wait for you to have kids. Boy oh boy oh boy. You'd probably be the type to tell your four year old that Santa and The Easter Bunny don't exist. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Metropolis Symphony (Daugherty)

Truly, as Goldenthal is to Elfman's Batman, so this is to Williams' Superman. Quite a ripping work.

I'd be very interested in hearing that. Just samples the clips at Amazon and it sounds... interesting!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

What is wrong with you?

-Erik-

Oops. I always forget those wink 's. I've rashly assumed my sense of humour was rather transparent at this stage...

Your posts are better without them IMO. smile

Erik Woods wrote

Booooooooo!!!

I can't wait for you to have kids. Boy oh boy oh boy. You'd probably be the type to tell your four year old that Santa and The Easter Bunny don't exist. wink

-Erik-

If I ever have kids, if I ever have kids, I will neither tell them that one or the other exists or does not. I will simply ask them what they believe and why they believe it. I'd want my kids to think from themselves from as early an age as possible!
  6. What are 'kids' ?

Erik - send me an email re: Daugherty's Metropolis Symphony.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    What are 'kids' ?

One of the top ten things that annoy me, that's what.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: His Majesty Minor - Javier Navarette
    After two tracks it sounds like a Spanish version of Doyle's waltzes. Strange.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Mercenaries | Chris Tilton & Michael Giacchino

Two words aptly describe my feeling of it: Impressively epic. The thing is, if I didn't know the score was for a video game, I would easily mistake it as an extension of Giacchino's scores for Mission Impossible 3 or Alias. And for a score recorded in Seattle, it sounds every bit as good as the ones recorded in L.A. or London. And almost every track is interesting and/or exciting in its own way, so easily it's a 4.5 or 5 star score.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Still Playing: His Majesty Minor by Javier Naverette
    Halfway through now and I'm quite amazed...there's some amazing woodwind writing and playing in here. Completely different feel than his current signature effort, Pan's Labyrinth.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote

And for a score recorded in Seattle, it sounds every bit as good as the ones recorded in L.A. or London.

The Northwest Sinfonia is an outstanding orchestra! Outstanding!!! Excellent brass and percussion section, IMHO.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt C wrote

Two words aptly describe my feeling of it: Impressively epic. The thing is, if I didn't know the score was for a video game, I would easily mistake it as an extension of Giacchino's scores for Mission Impossible 3 or Alias. And for a score recorded in Seattle, it sounds every bit as good as the ones recorded in L.A. or London. And almost every track is interesting and/or exciting in its own way, so easily it's a 4.5 or 5 star score.

That is a HELL of a kick-ass score, i am so glad you liked it! It has always been like a hidden gem imo and i am so thrilled when more and more people keep discovering it; make sure you check out the brilliant video by Erik Woods as well, link located in the MICHAEL GIACCHINO thread.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    What are 'kids' ?

One of the top ten things that annoy me, that's what.

GOATS!?

Awwwww c'mon, cute or what?

And make a smashing Moroccan or Jamaican dish....can't go wrong lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    I will list my playing suggestions where I please, good sir. wink

It was a first listen, and for me the third listen is where classical works start to take hold in my mind and either work or don't. I want to learn the themes and motifs of the work so I can enjoy it in more detail.

ooooohhhh get you wink

Keep at it, it's a fantastic work!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007 edited
    Oh I did check out the Mercenaries scoring session video. It's in my favorite videos on Youtube. In fact, I think I'm going to play the album again shortly.

Spider-Man 3 | Christopher Young

I still like the score, even though Sony treated it like a bastard child and replaced Young's score in some scenes in the film. I greatly enjoyed the main titles section and most of the action pieces, and I'm greatly intrigued to hear more of the rejected cues by Young. But like Erik said, the recording sounds a bit dissonant and could've been better in terms of clarity.

I wish Young had used the Northwestern Sinfonia (or whatever Seattle ensemble he uses) for his score for Spider-man 3. It would've provided a better-sounding score, and a much better chance of Sony releasing a score album because of the buyout rights.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007 edited
    Matt C wrote
    I wish Young had used the Northwestern Sinfonia (or whatever Seattle ensemble he uses) for his score for Spider-man 3. It would've provided a better-sounding score, and a much better chance of Sony releasing a score album because of the buyout rights.

Doesn't really matter who performs the score but if you have a crappy engineer (Robert Fernandez in this case) then the score is going to sound like crap no matter what the orchestra does.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP The Spiderwick Chronicles - Horner

What can I say? There are elements of Casper, Cocoon, Balto, Field Of Dreams and more.
    And.............I love it!
    It's the classic Horner style that I've missed hearing for so long!
    Wonderful stuff! Like the prodigal son has returned!