• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Rescue Dawn - Klaus Badelt

Just going over some of my favorite scores for 2007... not many of them... 13 only... and trying to figure out which ones to keep in the Top 10 and which ones to leave out. I recently responded to a thread at MMUK where I posted my Top 10 of the year and I left this score off the list. I've re-listening to it now and I think I might have to put it back on. Easily one of Badelt's finest efforts.

-Erik-

Indeed, totally agree!

Having recently watched a lot of Werner Herzog films, I can safely say that Badelt has written one of the best scores his films have had. Some of his classic 70s films have quite shockingly-average scores. He can make a great film, but I don't fancy his taste in music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    Erik Woods wrote

Doesn't really matter who performs the score but if you have a crappy engineer (Robert Fernandez in this case) then the score is going to sound like crap no matter what the orchestra does.

-Erik-

The acoustics could have something to do with it. And Fernandez mixed Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and that sounded great.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Changed to ...

NP:SpaceCamp (williams)

I remember when I was a child and this movie was really cool! the typical saturday Tv movie....With a hottie Kate Capshaw.

I didn't know the score was by the Old man!

Very good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPat
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Rescue Dawn - Klaus Badelt

Just going over some of my favorite scores for 2007... not many of them... 13 only... and trying to figure out which ones to keep in the Top 10 and which ones to leave out. I recently responded to a thread at MMUK where I posted my Top 10 of the year and I left this score off the list. I've re-listening to it now and I think I might have to put it back on. Easily one of Badelt's finest efforts.

-Erik-

A wonderful score which I would never have listened to, hadn't I listened to your show, Erik. Good stuff.

NP: I, Robot — Marco Beltrami

Oh boy, that one is awesome. Can't get enough of it. Will be moving on to The Watcher and its haunting "Driven" in a minute. Just the kind of music I like listening to while doing some reading for my paper — symbolic transsexualism among Inuits, oh yeah biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Pat wrote
    symbolic transsexualism among Inuits

How is that studied?
    Why do you even study that?
    Who makes up a subject like that? shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorPat
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Pat wrote
    symbolic transsexualism among Inuits

How is that studied?
    Why do you even study that?
    Who makes up a subject like that? shocked

Cultural anthropology, mate biggrin
    Maybe you just won't believe me and think that this sort of thing is an aweful waste of time, but it's actually pretty interesting : )
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I never use to play one score one time, When I listen some score it's because I really like it and I used to make 2 or 3 complete listening wall to wall.

Am I the only one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    I never use to play one score one time, When I listen some score it's because I really like it and I used to make 2 or 3 complete listening wall to wall.

Am I the only one?

You what?
  2. He listens to scores once but not only twice when likes it more then 2 or 3 complete listen or even one or two but never only one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Antineutrino wrote
    He listens to scores once but not only twice when likes it more then 2 or 3 complete listen or even one or two but never only one.

...my head hurts.
  3. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    NP: Snow Falling On Cedars - James Newton Howard
    REALLY loud on my newly upgraded 5.1 system with better center and rear speakers. This isn't the type of score one normally associates with loud listening, but there's so much subtlely detailed richness in this score that a loud, high quality listen brings out. Though I'll probably have to turn it down when I get to "Tarawa"! cool
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Snow Falling On Cedars - James Newton Howard
    REALLY loud on my newly upgraded 5.1 system with better center and rear speakers. This isn't the type of score one normally associates with loud listening, but there's so much subtlely detailed richness in this score that a loud, high quality listen brings out. Though I'll probably have to turn it down when I get to "Tarawa"! cool

punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "Tarawa" is easily one of the most profound and sentimental single compositions by JNH, i long for the day he'll return to such quality in his film scores. Have you people watched the movie btw? It's pretty good from what i recall, a very touching, strong and - at times - sad love story.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I've seen the film. Liked it, except that my DVD was scratched so the ending 20 minutes skipped around some.

Anyone remember what the main character says in the film at the end of the Tarawa cue? It's hilarious. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Atonement-Dario Marianelli

This is one, at least for me, that more listens has produced a much greater liking for the score. Anyone who has even a passing interest in classical music will really like this score.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tom, I love Atonement. One of my favourites of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Nautilus wrote

Am I the only one?

Nope, I listen to scores on repeat as well.
    Especially with new scores, scores I haven't heard in a while and scores I really like, so that would basically mean about any score.
    wink

Seriously, I do that too, most of the time I play them 2 or 3 times, then I move on to something else, if I still have the time.

Don't know yet what I will play today... the kids are at home of course and my daughter is having a bad cold, so I guess it will be something quiet. I also found the other half of my score collection back, so it will be difficult to choose since I'm happy to see them all again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: The Spiderwick Chronicles

Quite good, but not exactly great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    NP: Steve Jablonsky - Transformers (Official Score Release)

My first listen... Oh - my - frakkin´ - GOD !!!

I LOVE what they did to the original tracks for this album... I´m in absolute awe. What a score!!! I loved it in the theatre, and I loved every snippet and bit I was able to find, but now, listening to the actual CD, FINALLY, THANK YOU, I am not only pleased. I´m blown away.

Glad to hear that! beer
    I love the score too and the album is very well put together indeed. Excellent listening experience. It rocks!

robot
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    NP: The Spiderwick Chronicles

Quite good, but not exactly great.

Can you tell me if you will hear the suites from Pirates??! im interested in more opinions about non casual ZImmer fans, like your or Erik.

NP:Star Trek First Contact

Erik was righ again...(well, Almost because I think he prefer Star Trek V)

Insurrection or Nemesis are perhaps more easaly enjoyable but they are not exactly Star Trek scores, so First Contact is the score wich follows better the tone and the thematic elements from the original.

The Klingons theme, the friend's ships theme (Well ,im not sure if it's the barrier theme),the blater beam and the ankluns for the borgs, the suspense, the almost biblical sense in "first contact"....

PS: Probably my favourite trek score since the original could be FInal Frontier as well, but I find "the busy man" or "the God" theme quite annoying...I don't know...i find rather obvious ,simple and outdated. And Sadly I watched the movie too...
  4. Nautilus wrote
    im interested in more opinions about non casual ZImmer fans, like your or Erik.

Well if it's opinions on those two you're after: Southall's a ratbag, and Erik's a scumbag. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    im interested in more opinions about non casual ZImmer fans, like your or Erik.

Well if it's opinions on those two you're after: Southall's a ratbag, and Erik's a scumbag. biggrin

Ratbag and Scumbag?? I don't understand this ,and I guess they are not in the translators...

NP:Indiana Jones and the last Crusade

After remember how I love this movies, Now I Suddently Like Raiders theme, wich I use to think it was annoying.

Anyway...I like much more what Steven And John consider wich is the Brigde of the Part B of the theme!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Now I Suddently Like Raiders theme, wich I use to think it was annoying.

You're weird.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Now I Suddently Like Raiders theme, wich I use to think it was annoying.

You're weird.

What, Jordi?? wink

NP : THE THREE MUSKETEERS - Michel Legrand

Excellent score! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALIENS - James Horner

Everyone familiar with this score knows how brilliant it is so NUFF SAID! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Compilation - Henry Mancini

A brilliant 2 CD set a friend from FSM made me a few years back, includes suites as well as singular themes, right now is the sounds of Hatari....friggin excellent! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Taken - Laura Karpman
    Expanded version I put together including the original CD and the composer's promo, about 2 hours long. There's some pretty nice unreleased material. "Boxcar Abduction" is great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Taken - Laura Karpman
    Expanded version I put together including the original CD and the composer's promo, about 2 hours long. There's some pretty nice unreleased material. "Boxcar Abduction" is great.

You have an expanded release??? shocked
    Wow!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Iron Will | Joel McNeely

Excellent score, 30 minutes is too short (as I would imagine there's more music in the film?).

'Devil's Slide' has a blatant rip from Raiders! I love it. biggrin

And 'Final Day' has some Far & Away in it. I love it I love!