• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've only really scanned the comments on Brian Tyler's "voice" and I have to say that there is a very distinctive "sound" for Tyler - and I have to say that I love it!

Thank God! 'Cause i was starting to think i was hearing things or something rolleyes wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote

NP: El Celo - Ángel Illarramendi

Thanks, Demetris. punk

Anyone tired of their usual listening habits could do worse that try Illarramendi's work. Personally, I think that he composes some really beautiful music.

Couldn't agree more. I've myself too discovered the Illaramendi-Cases couple last year through SONCINEMAD II and i have to say that the fact that there's gorgeous music out there like that which we'll probably never discover if events and people don't come and directly point you towards it (like the afore-mentioned), really awes me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Brute Force-Rozsa

This is one that many of you have likely never heard before. It has a similiar style to The Killers, & The Lost Weekend. The film itself is well worth looking out for.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039224/

Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Alan,

The Silva recording is vibrant and a much shorter listen.

I love the original too.....just depends what mood I'm in smile

NP : THE 3 MUSKETEERS - Michel Legrand

Fabulous score! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STARSHIP TROOPERS - Basil Poledouris

In my top 5 Poledouris scores....f***king fantastic! punk

What are your top 5, Timmer?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007 edited
    tjguitar wrote
    Timmer wrote

First, foremost and above all others is.....

CONAN THE BARBARIAN

...and the next four...

2) Farewell To The King

3) Starship Troopers

4) Robocop

5) The Hunt For Red October

Any particular reason you ask tj? smile

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER | I'll do anything

Sax, strings, clarinet, flutes, soft drums, marimbas and synths, gospel vocals, synth organ, guitars, pianos; the kind of deeply organic, uplifting and nostalgic Zimmer scores (which he later expanded into beautiful stuff like SPANGLISH / THE HOLIDAY) you just can't get enough of!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Timmer wrote
    tjguitar wrote
    Timmer wrote

CONAN THE BARBARIAN

...and the next four...

2) Farewell To The King

3) Starship Troopers

4) Robocop

cool

Curiosity/Boredom. I can't disagree with your 5, I might swap out Flesh + Blood or Lonesome Dove for Red October, though. A score in dire need of expansion/remastering!
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've only really scanned the comments on Brian Tyler's "voice" and I have to say that there is a very distinctive "sound" for Tyler - and I have to say that I love it!

Thank God! 'Cause i was starting to think i was hearing things or something rolleyes wink

Even if this "voice" has Goldsmith, JNH and even Zimmer written all over it? Heard bits of Fast and Furious 3.. It sounds like Rabin!

And even if he is complex, he's rather messy in this complexity.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FAST AND THE FURIOUS 3 like Rabin? Come on, that's ridiculous! As much as i like lots of Rabin's stuff, i don't think he could ever come up with something like TOKYO DRIFT. rolleyes

PawelStroinski wrote
    And even if he is complex, he's rather messy in this complexity.

Darkness falls; messy. Yeah right rolleyes wink

PawelStroinski wrote

Even if this "voice" has Goldsmith, JNH and even Zimmer written all over it? Heard bits of Fast and Furious 3.. It sounds like Rabin!

It's ok for some to do it then (see. Debney for instance) and not at all ok for others? It's an argument i never saw anyone REALLY and SERIOUSLY stepping in to contradict with strong arguments rolleyes

Don't take me wrong mate, i can wholly respect you not liking his music but your extreme way of expressing it but most importantly the pushy insistence whenever his name comes up, seem a bit uncalled for, imo.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I don't think the Rabin comparison is off-base at all, I've alwayss said that Tokyo Drift and Annapolis is "Tyler doing Rabin better than Rabin does Rabin"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well it might be true but i don't hear it like that; to me it sounds like a way rocked-up version of Powell but hippier and cooler (tokyo drift, war); not Rabin there whose work is inferior, imo.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Of course. I don't expect everyone to hear stuff exactly the same as me. The world would be quite boring if they did.
  2. Yeah, I do find Tyler's action writing rather messy as opposed to people who counterpoint themes in their action writing (Horner, Williams, sometimes Goldsmith and JNH).

If I am pushy each time I hear Tyler's name coming up it's because I find the rave reviews the guy gets rather insulting to really good and underrated composers like my most recent discovery that was Bruce Broughton. One of the best composers working today? Where is he compared to John Powell, Edward Shearmur, Michael Giacchino? I don't think this guy would be able to write stuff like Paycheck/Bourne Supremacy, K-Pax (I know different genre, but still), Lost/MoH: Airborne?

I never say it's OK for Debney to rip JNH, Goldsmith (did that in Sudden Death), Goldsmith, Williams and Poledouris (these three in Lair) or even ZImmer and Gabriel (Passion of the Christ). But he is better in using the influences IMHO, if only because he is a great arranger and when inspired enough he can bring out a really great work (The Passion of the Christ). And another thing speaking for Debney. He is way more melodic than Tyler, who bangs simple motifs all the time. Both Cutthroat Island and Lair, even if unoriginal, feature very strong and elaborate themes and they appear in action music. I haven't heard it with Tyler yet. The guy may be nice and passionate in contact, but I can't see the talent people give him. Anywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    tjguitar wrote
    Of course. I don't expect everyone to hear stuff exactly the same as me. The world would be quite boring if they did.

Heh. Imagine film music communities (or any other kind of message board for that matter) only with stuff like :

I agree.

You're so right.

You rule!

He's right, i agree too.

Yeah!

I love you.

Will you marry me?

I SO agree with you!

Wowawiwa; that should be as varicolored as Santaolalla's guitar and lute playing biggrin
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Well it might be true but i don't hear it like that; to me it sounds like a way rocked-up version of Powell but hippier and cooler (tokyo drift, war); not Rabin there whose work is inferior, imo.

Well, Rabin may sound cool, but he's inferior to almost any mainstream composer working in the genre, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:A new hope

Im seduced for this thematic universe of John Williams.

Every note is a masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007
    HANS ZIMMER - The Ring / The ring two

One of the best, modern thriller scores if you ask me. Loving every note of it, every arrangement and outburst, every sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Reading our comments brought a thought in my mind and I think I'll share it with you guys!Our mates must be either very lucky for having such passionate people with them (look how we talk about music!) or quite unluck...!!Imagine:
    - "Honeyyy dinner is ready!"
    - "Just 18:35 minutes love!Zimmer's overtures are a bit long!I can't come before the end of the cd!"

Oh yes...NP: Pan's Labirynth ~ Javier Navarrete

P.S. Jordi my friend Zimmer was randomly chosen,I don't mean anything bad! wink
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. But you are *so* right about his track length biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    Reading our comments brought a thought in my mind and I think I'll share it with you guys!Our mates must be either very lucky for having such passionate people with them (look how we talk about music!) or quite unluck...!!Imagine:
    - "Honeyyy dinner is ready!"
    - "Just 18:35 minutes love!Zimmer's overtures are a bit long!I can't come before the end of the cd!"

Oh yes...NP: Pan's Labirynth ~ Javier Navarrete

P.S. Jordi my friend Zimmer was randomly chosen,I don't mean anything bad! wink

In fact i can think of a couple of real examples that have happened to me (or was i the one 'causing them instead? wink biggrin ) that are .....well...nevermind. You're right!

Oh; and i've had a couple of violent attempts to attack my beloved pc in the past, in all cases ScoreReviews's forum was on-screen and i was typing out a response or something. A couple more occurred towards the pc again but this time to switch off the speakers, close winamp, throw my external sound card off the balcony; yeah, things like that shame
  5. Brian Tyler - Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift

That's actually pretty nice. Though rather not perfect. Nice theme (the slower one) especially in the rock arrangement, good rock drum rhythm (in fact I love how he combines the drums and the melody, they just play together great). The electronics are too harsh to me at times, it DOES sound like Rabin at times. I don't like the way Tyler mixes live rock rhythms with electronic loops. He should stick to one.

Far from genius, but nice enough to have a four as of now, as of 2.5/3 I would usually grant Tyler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    So...you like Tokyo Drift but Not AVP2....Mmm... dizzy

NP:AVP2

Terrific action stuff.

Did anyone heard the previous score by Harald? Decent enough?
    • CommentAuthorTrekkinD
    Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey - David Newman

Really enjoyable comedy score. There's quite a variety to the music, from a typical comedy "march" (Busy Heaven), some light sci-fi action cues for the Evil Bill & Ted along with David Newman's takes on Heaven and Hell (how you would expect them to sound). I was a big fans of the movies as a kid, so it was a nice treat for Intrada to release it.

I just noticed that this album as titled "Music from the Motion Picture," which is the same as the song album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

It has some good parts but not even comparable to Tyler's inferno!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

It has some good parts but not even comparable to Tyler's inferno!

I like what you said..."tyler's inferno"...I like it!

Opening titles,Requiem Prologue, Decimation proclamation and coprokoclia rules!(and this little "bug" effects too! )
    • CommentAuthorTrekkinD
    Nautilus wrote

From what I remember, there were a couple of decent action cues, but, overall the score was a pretty mid-level sci-fi thriller score, it wasn't bad and got the job done, but nothing much really stood out. I don't really listen to it too often.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    tjguitar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    tjguitar wrote
    Timmer wrote

CONAN THE BARBARIAN

...and the next four...

2) Farewell To The King

3) Starship Troopers

4) Robocop

cool

Curiosity/Boredom. I can't disagree with your 5, I might swap out Flesh + Blood or Lonesome Dove for Red October, though. A score in dire need of expansion/remastering!

Fair enough. Apart from an unchanging # 1 I could revolve quite a few favourites, I love the two you mention too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Bug (Tyler)

A underrated masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007 edited
    NP: Beowulf - That song... smile

Just because I don´t have the score and this is the only track available for free, here:
    http://www.beowulfmoviemusic.com/

I like it due to the theme incorporated by the orchestra, though I know most people around here won´t. Playing it rather loud helps but will probably deepen my enstrangement with the neighbors.