• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Southall wrote
    NP: The Last Winter - Jeff Grace

Has anyone else heard this? A super score, so evocative of an icy climate, handling the suspense with class and featuring a couple of truly beautiful themes. One of my favourite surprises of the year.

Yeah, i have! And it's gorgeous indeed, the main theme is filled with rare beauty and irresistible melody of Delerue-like qualities while the chilly underscore is technically and aesthetically top-notch! I'll be wrapping up my review for that one pretty soon!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - Cliff Eidelman

Absolutely dynamite!!! From the brilliant and dark "Overture" to the heroic send off to the original cast in "Sign Off" and everything in between. Eidelman hit this one out of the park. And what an End Credit suite. It's a lost art.

The younger composers really faired quite well with their scores... the other being James Horner... and I have all the faith in the world that Giacchino will continue the trend with his score next winter. Can't wait!

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I wanted to respond to Marselus' statement about AVP being the best action score of the year.

Wait 'till you read my review then wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:The Thin Red Line (Zimmer)

I remember hear the last minutes from the second track when the wife of one of the soldiers leave him and its really touchin, or the seventh track when a guy remember the kiss with his wife.....

And Wow.....It's really a masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those two moments you listed are really beautiful. I think when you first listen to this score, 'Journey to the Line' is what you keep coming back to. However on repeat listens, it's the tracks like 'Lagoon', 'Light' and 'Silence' that really carry me.

Jordi, i am glad you could finally appreciate THE THIN RED LINE's magic as a musical work; not only is Zimmer's best moment ever, it truly is one of the most inspired and honest musical moments in the history of modern film music, imo.
  1. The Thin Red Line, my favorite Zimmer and film score work ever. Not only modern film music to my book. I myself prefer Stone of My Heart and Light to Journey to the Line (seriously), I love also The Village. Also a Zimmerly complex work, ESPECIALLY when it comes to his woodwind writing here (great bassoon material, to name something probably less obvious in the score. The way it works in the movie is beyond words, even my long essay I still plan to translate to English...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I wanted to respond to Marselus' statement about AVP being the best action score of the year.

Wait 'till you read my review then wink

Can't wait wink. All my points for "making the score of the year" are still valid. If also only he could use odd meters without sounding like Goldsmith, that would be rather amazing of him.

Don't blame him so much though, because Peacemaker (which has large portions of action music in 7/8) plays out often as a Goldsmith homage (except the meter, I would like to remind you of an atonal-or-dissonant part for strings and brass right before a big theme statement in the middle of Chase, that just *sounds* like Goldsmith; I would write a short review of The Peacemaker in this space in some days, though).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BRAINSTORM - James Horner

One of Horner's early masterpieces, some Horner trademarks displayed in this score were still fresh and not irritating when this score came out.

Lillian's Heart Attack is still a mindblowing powerhouse piece of music that should be played as loud as possible, little times like this that Horner verges on genius.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE NEW WORLD - James Horner

Something soft and soothing to wind down to before I hit the sack cool

G'night wave

sleep
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Thin Red Line, my favorite Zimmer and film score work ever.

I still can't believe Zimmer wrote something so exceptional. It's not just his best score, it's his best score by such a large margin. And truly, it's one of the most wonderful of modern times. Malick's film is a true beauty - it may be my favourite - and Zimmer just nailed it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote

One of Horner's early masterpieces, some Horner trademarks displayed in this score were still fresh and not irritating when this score came out.

Lillian's Heart Attack is still a mindblowing powerhouse piece of music that should be played as loud as possible, little times like this that Horner verges on genius.

Yeap. And one of his few dissonant scores.

When he haven't discovered the sacharine yet....
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    NP: Elizabeth: The Golden Age (Armstrong)

Hmm, I really like what i'm hearing there. The Dinivity Theme especially! But it's weird to have so many modern elements for this kind of movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    msia2k75 wrote

Hmm, I really like what i'm hearing there. The Dinivity Theme especially! But it's weird to have so many modern elements for this kind of movie.

I didn't care for it at all. It sounds like a giant mess where neither composer could figure which direction worked best so they just threw everything at it.

First Listen: The Assassination of Jessie James ... - Nick Cave & Warren Ellis

This is quite interesting and not at all what I was expecting. I really like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    msia2k75 wrote

Really? Are you sure you're not listening to another score wink
  3. Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I still can't believe Zimmer wrote something so exceptional. It's not just his best score, it's his best score by such a large margin. And truly, it's one of the most wonderful of modern times. Malick's film is a true beauty - it may be my favourite - and Zimmer just nailed it.

Still looking forward to your review.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Couldn't agree more!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeap. And one of his few dissonant scores.

When he haven't discovered the sacharine yet....

You may have a point Jordi?

But up until Brainstorm I believe Horner had only scored horror and Sci-Fi?!?

So then board members wave What do YOU think was Horner's "saccharine" introduction into scores? My guesstimate would be COCOON ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote

I also agree; I loved all the score and the way it fits the movie (few times the music fits so good), but specially touching for me was the theme (which didn´t make it to the cd by the way) heard at the end of the movie, just when Caviezel´s character dies. That main theme arranged as it is, wow, superb.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Walt Disney World: Millennium Celebration - Gavin Greenaway

I f*cking love this album!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: THE WATER HORSE - James Newton Howard

I like it how James Newton Howard seems back to his old quality self with that trademark orchestra / choir sound, but apart from that, it's not directly a favorite of mine. It seems people attribute their love for the fact that Howard is back to this score, which is in itself nothing really special and probably wouldn't gain all that much attention if it was released right after Lady. I like Swimming, The Fisherman and all, but the celtic element is not really my cup of tea. And as for the grand finale... well... I prefer King Kong and Lady in the Water.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    I am extremely happy JNH is back to form, but I don't think that's why I love the score so much. It's filled with wonderful themes, lots of emotion, and I really enjoy Celtic music. I don't think it's one the best of Howard's career, but it is a wonderful score.

NP: Laputa Symphony - Joe Hisaishi

Gorgeous theme; one of Hisaishi's best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    NP: THE WATER HORSE - James Newton Howard

I like it how James Newton Howard seems back to his old quality self with that trademark orchestra / choir sound, but apart from that, it's not directly a favorite of mine. It seems people attribute their love for the fact that Howard is back to this score, which is in itself nothing really special and probably wouldn't gain all that much attention if it was released right after Lady.

Which - in its turn - is a mediocre score as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote

True, but, in my opinion, better than this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Christodoulides wrote

Bah! You're crazy! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    David wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Bah! You're crazy! dizzy

Well, just place it next to Snow Falling On Cedars, Unbreakable, Signs and The Village: you think it holds up? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    David wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Bah! You're crazy! dizzy

Absolutely. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    BobdH wrote
    David wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Bah! You're crazy! dizzy

Well, just place it next to Snow Falling On Cedars, Unbreakable, Signs and The Village: you think it holds up? wink

But there's a difference between holding up against amazing scores and being mediocre. In terms of Shamalyan films, yes I suppose it's mediocre, but in the broader picture, it's a great score. I find every track on the album to be incredibly engaging and wouldn't lose one of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    you think it holds up? wink

Not even closely. I am dead-serious about this, apart the opening and closing titles the rest of LADY IN THE WATER is overrated typical JNH underscore which isn't any different than - say - THE WATER HORSE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    ... the rest of LADY IN THE WATER is overrated typical JNH underscore which isn't any different than - say - THE WATER HORSE.

Please don't make me cry.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lee, don't take me wrong but you don't actually count in JNH discussions mate tongue you adore every sound he ever produced no matter if good or actually crap so you're not exactly the most subjective JNH critic it seems to me. Are you? wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote
    you think it holds up? wink

Not even closely. I am dead-serious about this, apart the opening and closing titles the rest of LADY IN THE WATER is overrated typical JNH underscore which isn't any different than - say - THE WATER HORSE.

Even though I don't agree with that, the opening and closing are so fantastic that the overrating of the music by the film score masses is certainly justified. wink