• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Wind And the Lion (Goldsmith)

I prefer the new versions of this score : 13th warrior, the mummy , or even Lionheart.

But the composition here is pretty complex!

It's more complex than the others you mention and far more enjoyable IMO, but to each his own cool beer <<--water wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I guess I'm old enough to know better?.....I'll never learn! rolleyes wink

Anyway, I feel ready for some loud music now and I need something that slaps me in the face....

NP : STARSHIP TROOPERS - Basil Poledouris

Ahhhhhh Basil... punk cool

That really did clear my head smile

NP : STAR WARS : THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams

Not the whole score, I'm skipping tracks to get straight to the noisy bits! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Poltergeist (Goldsmith)

I have to be the only person in the world who can't enjoy this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

Yeah, you are.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yeah, you are.

But he WILL enjoy it! spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: SimCity Societies - Trevor Morris
    If he wasn't an RC guy I would never in a million years buy a score like this, but I'm too much of a Zimmer fanboy and I have to see what his proteges are up to... so far this score is a lot of pleasant ambient loops with only one standout melodic track.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yeah, you are.

How anyone can't appreciate this magnificent score after having watched the equally magnificent film is a seriously confused individual, so let's hope this is not the case! biggrin

'Rebirth' is one of Goldsmith's most powerful cues!

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yeah, you are.

How anyone can't appreciate this magnificent score after having watched the equally magnificent film is a seriously confused individual, so let's hope this is not the case! biggrin

'Rebirth' is one of Goldsmith's most powerful cues!

punk

When I first bought this score a couple of years ago when I was 21 wink I just couldn't stop playing Rebirth, I think I'd have to put it in a top 50 tracks of all time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : The David Arnold James Bond Project

Very hit / miss compilation of classic Bond themes, easi;y the best track is The Propellerheads version of On Her Majesty's Secret Service, a stonking near 8 minutes which even interpolates Barry's Capsule In Space music from You Only Live Twice.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ENDURING LOVE - Jeremy Sams

A lovely score that conjures Vaughan Williams and in it's darker mood Bernard Herrmann.

Great stuff! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008 edited
    Scribe wrote
    NP: The Water Horse - Howard
    One of the things I love about this score is that underneath the obvious Celtic elements are some techniques that harken back to Howard's early 90s scores like The Man In The Moon and Prince of Tides. Especially the romantic-yet-subdued string passages. They sort of passed by uninterestingly the first time I heard the score, but the more I listen to it, the more beautiful they seem.

I couldn't agree more. These techniques you speak of are some of the many things that I love about his work.

NP: The Water Horse: Legend Of The Deep - James Newton Howard

I see what you mean. wink
  1. Timmer wrote

A lovely score that conjures Vaughan Williams and in it's darker mood Bernard Herrmann.

Great stuff! cool

The atonal stuff brings to mind Charles Ives as well, and from memory there's a bit of Benjamin Britten's darker writing influencing Sams as well. This is one of those great scores that almost nobody has heard. sad
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTrekkinD
    Brotherhood of the Wolf - Joseph LoDuca

I found this in a used bin a while back for cheap and bought it since a friend really likes the movie (I haven't seen it). It's a pretty interesting and varied listen so far, I'm part way through on my first listen. Lots of exotic and varied percussion and world instrumnents, but I haven't picked out a theme yet, this score so far is more foused on the atmospheric side of things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: John Williams' Classic Film Scores - Star Wars and Close Encounters - John Williams
    performed by The National Philharmonic conducted by Charles Gerhardt

Was discussing this album at FSM so i thought I'd put it on. For those that know me know how much I adore Charles Gerhardt's recordings. There are some splendid tracks on this album... especially the Close Encounters suite (the best re-recording of all time)... however, I do find that there are a few flubs during the Star Wars portion of the disc. However, with that being said Gerhardt's recording of the "Princess Leia" concert suite is best I've ever heard. Yes, even better than the original soundtrack recording and any other re-recording conducted by John Williams. shocked

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TrekkinD wrote
    Brotherhood of the Wolf - Joseph LoDuca

I found this in a used bin a while back for cheap and bought it since a friend really likes the movie (I haven't seen it). It's a pretty interesting and varied listen so far, I'm part way through on my first listen. Lots of exotic and varied percussion and world instrumnents, but I haven't picked out a theme yet, this score so far is more foused on the atmospheric side of things.

That is a very unique score, i'd check out the movie too if i were you, i think you're going to like it! I, for one, did; greatly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP Mystery of the Nile while taking the christmas_tree down, jippee. This year I am very glad to get rid of it. If it wasn't for the kids, I would never had gotten one, just some smaller ornaments. Besides, we couldn't find the lights and a tree without lights is only a wannabe-xmas-tree, right?
    christmas_biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NO LIGHTS???

They're the first items going up in any tree of mine!
    Mine was entirely green this year, incidentally. Quite cool...but sorta hard to see. slant
    Taking it down this evening...it's shedding most of its pine needles now. sad

NP: Batman Begins - Zimmer/Newton Howard
    Let's see if it's as boring as I remember it was.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    NO LIGHTS???

They're the first items going up in any tree of mine!
    Mine was entirely green this year, incidentally. Quite cool...but sorta hard to see. slant
    Taking it down this evening...it's shedding most of its pine needles now. sad

To make it worse... we had a fake tree. And no lights indeed.
    But, looking at it now, it is a very cute tree. The kids put the ornaments in it, so you can imagine what that looks like. All the balls hanging on one side...
    christmas_reindeer

Next I will be playing Brian Tyler's Partition , because I have it here downstairs. Living in this new house also means I have to go upstairs to the attic to get my music... this determines what I listen to for the most part!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote

NP: Batman Begins - Zimmer/Newton Howard
    Let's see if it's as boring as I remember it was.

Yes it is. I chalenge you to listen Myotis without vomit when the synthetic action stuff makes his brilliant apperence

NP:Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade

Probably the adventure score with more addictive themes and motifs until Zimmer's Pirates of Caribbean scores.

I can't choose between "indy's first Adventure", "Escape from Venice", "Shchjkh for Motorcycle" or the Mr Jones Motif!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

Great stuff! cool

The atonal stuff brings to mind Charles Ives as well, and from memory there's a bit of Benjamin Britten's darker writing influencing Sams as well. This is one of those great scores that almost nobody has heard. sad

Very true!

Perhaps if more people saw the film which is what made my ears prick up?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Bourne Identity | John Powell

Should get more appreciation now Supremacy and Ultimatum have garnered so much attention. Deservedly so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    NP: Fist Blood - Jerry Goldsmith

My 1st 2008 post. Hope and wish to everyone a great 2008. smile

Because Rambo 4 movie will open later this month, i will going to listen all the Rambo scores in the next days. So i started with First Blood.
    Rambo theme is one of my favourites, and whenever it's played with the solo trumpet it creates a sense of loneliness, that i think it reflects perfectly John Rambo character. Great stuff.
    Favorite tracks: It's A Long Road (Instrumental); The Razor; Mountain Hunt; Home Coming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote

Should get more appreciation now Supremacy and Ultimatum have garnered so much attention. Deservedly so.

A very interesting trilogy for sure. I think powell has done a great job with the 3 scores, and you can notice how each one is more mature but always has the same themes and orchestrations.

NP:Empire Strikes Back

Absolutly perfect in every note.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

A very interesting trilogy for sure. I think powell has done a great job with the 3 scores, and you can notice how each one is more mature but always has the same themes and orchestrations.

Indeed. You can feel the evolution from Identity to Ultimatum, but always with the same feeling in the music and the main themes always present. Lucky us the cd´s have almost all the music needed and we can listen the evolution. My only complaint would be they used too many music from the previous films in Ultimatum (the movie), but hey, we have the cd to enjoy the new music Powell did for the third and wasn´t used in the picture.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Pirates of Caribbean unrealeased and Remixed

It's a better listening experience than the original scores, and the themes are far more devoloped.

Only becasuse the OST has "at wit's end" and"i don't think now is the best time" if not ....

it's fantastic what Zimmer does with a only 3 harp notes theme, he has composed arond 12 minutes with that motif! that's a real genius!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    During the time of the release of Identity, it would have been hard to believe it would become so influential. Powell has surely set a new standard for modern action scoring just as the films themselves set a new standard for action.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    During the time of the release of Identity, it would have been hard to believe it would become so influential. Powell has surely set a new standard for modern action scoring just as the films themselves set a new standard for action.

Sure, in fact hadn´t Powell developed so well the music in the second score (which would have been the easier and cheaper way) we wouldn´t be talking about it now. The step forward of the second score was impressive but, as we´ve said, mantaining the feeling and the mood of the first. And finishing great with the third.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I'd like to see Powell take over scoring duties on James Bond, Arnold has said enough IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I'd like to see Powell take over scoring duties on James Bond, Arnold has said enough IMO.

I agree. I mean I've loved/liked every one of Arnold's Bond scores, but it's time he passed the baton on to another composer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I agree. I mean I've loved/liked every one of Arnold's Bond scores, but it's time he passed the baton on to another composer.

In fact, Powell is the ONLY composer I can see taking it over.