• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011 edited
    Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote
    Knowing that my dad is having lunch with Obama right about now (or one of the upcoming days)! Seriously.

Your dad is Mubarak? shocked

He, he...

He's actually partaking in the National Prayers Breakfast in Washington, which is an annual gathering of religious, political and business men in Washington D.C. It's taking place right about now, with the Prez himself present.

What does your father do? And what the hell is Prayers Breakfast? Do they pray before eating? Do they mix up separation of state and religion?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote
    Knowing that my dad is having lunch with Obama right about now (or one of the upcoming days)! Seriously.

Your dad is Mubarak? shocked

He, he...

He's actually partaking in the National Prayers Breakfast in Washington, which is an annual gathering of religious, political and business men in Washington D.C. It's taking place right about now, with the Prez himself present.

What does your father do? And what the hell is Prayers Breakfast? Do they pray before eating? Do they mix up separation of state and religion?

My father isn't even very religious, so I don't think it has very much to do with prayers per se. It's just developped into being a gathering of top people around the world, within their specific capacity as a politician, businessman or religious leader. See more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Prayer_Breakfast

My dad is a college teacher in Natural Sciences by profession, but has been involved in politics on the side since his mid 40's and climbed the ladder to a top position in the local government since then.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    I'm grateful that the big winter storm avoided California.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Can't you get your dad to bring him back to the west, you do know there a multi-million dollar bounty on his head?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    My dad is a college teacher in Natural Sciences by profession, but has been involved in politics on the side since his mid 40's and climbed the ladder to a top position in the local government since then.

That's very cool! Ending up in a room full of respectable and less respectable members, is quite an event.

It frightens me a bit though:"[T]he breakfast is regarded by the Family as merely a tool in a larger purpose: to recruit the powerful attendees into smaller, more frequent prayer meetings, where they can 'meet Jesus man to man.'". But I guess that's something from the past...
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If that Jesus was in my house right now I'd say 'oi Jesus, get outta my house', he could be trying to steal my wine or my fish, I'm not having any of that I can tell you.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Just asked David if he can remember any film composers. Three names he came up with: John Williams, Howard Shore and Hans Zimmer.

That's my boy!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Not Michael Wandmacher? Every kid knows him !!! shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just asked David if he can remember any film composers. Three names he came up with: John Williams, Howard Shore and Hans Zimmer.

That's my boy!

Considering it's you Alan I'm disappointed he didn't mention Bernard Herrrmann.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just asked David if he can remember any film composers. Three names he came up with: John Williams, Howard Shore and Hans Zimmer.

That's my boy!

most impressed Alan cheesy
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I asked Maureen the same question and she answered Rodgers/Hammerstein
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Melanie will do very well on a few, John Barry, Danny Elfman, John Williams....and then she'll say something like Jerry Bernstein rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I played something the other day (can't remember what) and my dad entered the room and asked: "Is this Thomas Newman Howard?"

spin
  4. Tim, the only experience he had with Herrmann was when he was just a toddler - and then he just burst out crying.

His more recent experiences are down to him watching films and asking for the music to be put on to his mp3 player. Williams will be from Harry Potter and Star Wars, Shore will from The Lord of the Rings and Hans Zimmer will be from Pirates of the Caribbean. I was surprised he didn't mention Ennio Morricone. He likes the music from the Dollars trilogy and he has started to get quite exasperated by the use of Morricone's music in programmes such as Top Gear - he wouldn't know their love for Goldenthal's Titus which was used a couple of times the other day.
  5. I managed to get an internet connection this morning by rebooting the router after the maintenance on the community network. And the AA managed to free a jammed handbrake on the car.
  6. LSH wrote
    I played something the other day (can't remember what) and my dad entered the room and asked: "Is this Thomas Newman Howard?"

spin

biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. The new Iron and Wine album - it's stunning. One of my favourite bands.

and...

Cadbury's Caramel- you can't beat it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Juniorspesh wrote
    The new Iron and Wine album - it's stunning. One of my favourite bands.

and...

Cadbury's Caramel- you can't beat it.

Galaxy fruit & nut ftw!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    Galaxy fruit & nut ftw!

lick
  8. Galaxy gets the nod over Cadbury in a like-for-like head-to-head most times. But both fall way behind to Lindor chocolates!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Galaxy gets the nod over Cadbury in a like-for-like head-to-head most times. But both fall way behind to Lindor chocolates!

Lindor.....Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! lick

Can't just pop in any shop for those so.........galaxy fruit & nut ftw!
  9. No chocolate in the house at the moment so can we change the subject to something else?

Bread? We've got lots of bread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Nothing but a clear view and sunshine
  10. Tom, do you still make your own bread?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011
    My company occupies most of "The Gherkin", the tallest building in the UK, and I visited today for the first time. The view from the observation deck / bar at the top (sadly not open to the public in general) is spectacular. I've been to London so many times, it's a great city, and seeing it like this from above (on a beautiful, clear, sunny day) was just wonderful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011
    Isn't there a new building that's overtaken the Gherkin's height? I'm sure I saw something about this recently and that it'll be the tallest building in Europe?

Whatever, sounds like a great day James.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I finished my master thesis! smile
    (I'm studying animal ecology/behavior and has been researching wild birds)

Still need to keep working on my research, preparing for the ecological conference next month (which will be fun),
    and need to find a job (which is not so fun),
    but now I can take a bit of rest this weekend... with a bit of good music and movie cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow! Congrats Miya!!! punk punk punk

Good luck in the job hunting. What direction you want to go or what kind of profession?
    Kazoo