• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Here you go!

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l63/s … spider.jpg

I'm the tall one with the shiny (sweating!) head!!

Hey Alan, I was wondering (always a dangerous question wink ), have you lost weight??
    You look much different here than in other pictures. Perhaps it only seems like it, but I really notice some difference...?!
    smile

Nice spider. In our town we have a reptile home, they also have spiders. When I hold one I don't know what's scarier: that I will drop him or that he will bite me. Or, perhaps the worst: that he will start running up my arm to my face.
    spider
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    I finally managed to get my PS3 to work with HDMI cable!

Bought the PS3 back in 2008 but couldn't get it to work on my HDTV. For some reason the TV wouldn't recognize any HDMI inputs, and I knew after trying it on some other systems that the cable's not faulty. Contacted the retailer and they weren't able to help either. So all these years I had to bear with that AV component cable that comes with the system. Not that I am fussy about picture quality but then using the cables that came with the PS3, the texts were impossible to read on some games so a lot of times I had to find out what the texts were possibly instructing by guessing.

Anyway today I read that earlier this month GTA 5 was announced, and that kind of put me in the mood to go back and revisit GTA 4, and that in turn reminded me of my struggles with that HDMI cable. I tried all the procedures again to no avail so I thought I better find the TV's model number and search for a solution on the web. As I was searching for that label with the model number I found another tiny board on the left side of the TV (hadn't seen it before) which had a few ports, including one labeled HDMI 3. I plugged the cable to this port instead of those on the back of the TV, and I also unplugged all other devices that were attached to the TV and it finally recognized the PS3! Woohoo!
  1. Bregje wrote
    Hey Alan, I was wondering (always a dangerous question wink ), have you lost weight??
    You look much different here than in other pictures. Perhaps it only seems like it, but I really notice some difference...?!
    smile

It is a dangerous question - because it's likely to generate extensive internet hugging! (Where is that hugging smiley?)

Since we met last I must have lost between 2.5/3 stone in weight (16-20 kg?). Just through trying to increase my amount of moderate exercise and reducing snacking between meals. Seemed to work a treat. Although being at home now means that I am not as rigorous in cutting out the snacks as I used to be, I seem to be able to keep the weight off.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A nice day yesterday with my daughter and my grandkids for Thanksgiving.
    listen to more classical music!
  2. The fact that I could listen and enjoy a film score (namely Thelma & Louise) with my dad.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. I went on a (Argentine) tango weekend and had a fabulous time.
    For those of you who don't know what that exactly entails, it's a group of people coming together, dancing basically nonstop. During the day there are classes with respectable tango maestro's and in the evening there are 'milonga's' or dance evenings, where everybody dances, invites people to dance and gets invited.
    Also the teachers will perform some show tango's for us mere mortals to enjoy.

Although the performances of the past weekend have not (yet) turned up on youtube, I wanted to share this one with you guys, as it is a dance of one of the couples that was teaching, and the performance is similar to the one they showed us on Saturday.

I still need to figure out what piece the music is, but I love it, and I love their performance.

For me tango is a perfect way to express the feelings I feel when listening to emotional music. For me these two are a nice example of showing this emotional connection (even though they are quite acrobatic about it sometimes wink )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJK22bQE … ture=feedu

Anybody any comments about it?

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  4. I am always fascinated by how close and intimate the dancers are but even though there are very intricate steps by both participants, no-one gets in anyone's way - or stands on anyone's toes!

It all seems very disciplined, but whereas you would expect something so seemingly regimented it can be so sensual.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011
    I'm more of a free-form party dancer myself, but I admire those who are able to discipline their moves. Especially in pairs. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff going on in tango that I can't see.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I'm not a fan of dancing in pairs at all... and the way you describe the weekend, you have to dance with all kinds of different people?? I'd hate that.
    wink

I was watching this video and wondering if I like it. Some parts I like to watch and some parts I don't.

I do love what she is wearing and the flat shoes too! I think that's great. Ballroom dancing and things like that often go with glitter dresses almost like bikinis and crazily high heels. But I really like the clothes in this video. Is that Argentina clothes and shoes or something??
    cheesy
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am always fascinated by how close and intimate the dancers are but even though there are very intricate steps by both participants, no-one gets in anyone's way - or stands on anyone's toes!

Oh, sometimes we do, when our signals get crossed, but it might happen once a night (when you dance for five hours or so).

FalkirkBairn wrote
    It all seems very disciplined, but whereas you would expect something so seemingly regimented it can be so sensual.

That's really a misconception. It is not controlled at all. OK, the guy leads, but I have been told by men that have achieved a certain level, that they don't even think about the steps they are performing. It is just about letting go and flowing with the music. And if the guy is indeed a good leader as a woman you indeed don't have to think about anything, it is all in the movement of the man... All those leg flicks (called boleos and ganchos btw) are not something the lady does, but the guy 'makes her do'. I tell you from experience, it is really weird to feel your leg wrap yourself around his, and you are not even doing it 'consciously'.
    Thor wrote
    I'm more of a free-form party dancer myself, but I admire those who are able to discipline their moves. Especially in pairs. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff going on in tango that I can't see.

For me it is really not about discipline, it is quite the opposite. It is a sense of freedom, and connection.
    Bregje wrote
    I'm not a fan of dancing in pairs at all... and the way you describe the weekend, you have to dance with all kinds of different people?? I'd hate that.
    wink

Yep, lots of change in partners, but you never have to dance with somebody you don't want to. It is part of the fun actually, to see what kind of connection you can create with another individual. Some are very peaceful, some are emotional, some are just plain fun.

Bregje wroteI do love what she is wearing and the flat shoes too! I think that's great. Ballroom dancing and things like that often go with glitter dresses almost like bikinis and crazily high heels. But I really like the clothes in this video. Is that Argentina clothes and shoes or something??
    cheesy

She's a bit of a special case and I really loved the outfits she was wearing. It is very much her typical style. There are very different styles in tango, but I've never seen her style before.
    usually tango is danced in high heels, but as she shows, it's not necessary.
    Alma is BTW not from Argentina. She lives in Copenhagen, but is originally from the Balkan somewhere...
    Forgot to ask her where she buys her clothes :-(
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Is this something you've been interested in your whole life or a fairly recent "discovery", Elin?
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Is this something you've been interested in your whole life or a fairly recent "discovery", Elin?

Dancing? All my life. Tango, about eight years or so, but I never found a 'fixed' tango partner to take classes with, which hindered me to 'get started'.

After some initiation lessons eight years ago, and loss of partners, and then not doing anything for seven, I got 'back on the horse' last year, and now I am at a level where I can dance with many different partners, and I can follow classes with different people who are at the same level as me.

And for me (a brainy type of girl) tango is the ideal way of dancing. It clears the head and it's all about connection, music and the floor, and it's not even my task to see where I'm going. There are so many times I dance with my eyes closed...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011
    Went to the pub quiz as usual on Sunday and the final round was a film music round, where you had to identify clips. I think I suitably impressed my colleagues (some of whom don't know about my little hobby) with 18/20. The two I missed were Requiem for a Dream (which I don't think I've ever heard) and Iron Man (which I wish I'd never heard). I believe I was the only person in the room to get a lot of them. 19 of the 20 were instrumental but, oddly, they played the vocal version of the theme from First Blood (I was definitely the only one who got that - but identifying the composer, lyricist and singer didn't seem to impress my young friends very much).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011
    Green! punk applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011
    I don't even talk to my friends about what I review anymore.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011
    ...and that's what's made your day better? uhm
  7. Southall wrote
    Went to the pub quiz as usual on Sunday and the final round was a film music round, where you had to identify clips. I think I suitably impressed my colleagues (some of whom don't know about my little hobby) with 18/20. The two I missed were Requiem for a Dream (which I don't think I've ever heard) and Iron Man (which I wish I'd never heard). I believe I was the only person in the room to get a lot of them. 19 of the 20 were instrumental but, oddly, they played the vocal version of the theme from First Blood (I was definitely the only one who got that - but identifying the composer, lyricist and singer didn't seem to impress my young friends very much).

What were the other ones?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011
    A couple of my colleagues went to a meeting in Amsterdam yesterday and reported to me that the meeting was stopped half-way through so Santa Claus could come in along with some blacked-up kids and throw biscuits around the room.

Martijn, does that sort of thing happen quite a lot in Amsterdam?
  8. Sinterklaas?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What Pawel said.

And yes, James, it happens incredibly often that tourists visit The Netherlands without any inkling, feeling, sensibility or interest at all in local customs, language or even law. Mostly they're Americans, though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Isn't the blacked up faces to do with that ancient and much missed tradition of shoving kids up chimneys?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No.

Although I approve of the concept.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    What Pawel said.

And yes, James, it happens incredibly often that tourists visit The Netherlands without any inkling, feeling, sensibility or interest at all in local customs, language or even law. Mostly they're Americans, though.

Good. This explains it very well. Thanks. I shall report back to them tomorrow. (Please note - one of them is Scottish so probably knows Alan - but neither was a tourist.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It should be brought back to teach children respect and to have a healthy fear of imminent death.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    A couple of my colleagues went to a meeting in Amsterdam yesterday and reported to me that the meeting was stopped half-way through so Santa Claus could come in along with some blacked-up kids and throw biscuits around the room.

I'm reminded of Jerry's antics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    neither was a tourist.)

Oh good. Then I'm sure they've read up.

Please forgive my exasperation.
    It's a constant source of amazement to me that whenever I visit abroad -for work or pleasure- I make it a point to know the bank holidays during that time, the customs, quirks and odds and ends culturally and practically, to make as sure as I can I'm not caught out in any way.

For some reason visitors to The Netherlands on the other hand seem to view us as an extension of their own nation, customs, law and language. Americans are the worst offenders, to be sure, but esteemed visitors from the UK and from France follow very closely behind as far as ethnicentrism goes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed so! I am similarly exasperated by my countrymen.

In fairness to these particular colleagues, the meeting was arranged on Friday evening, they had to leave home at 4am on Monday and were flying back the same day, so didn't have much time for preparation!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm often embarrased by fellow Norwegians too, especially charter tourists.

But they're nothing compared to Americans and Israelites. Those are the worst, in my experience.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Whoooooaaaaaa-ooooooo... the Israelites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Whoooooaaaaaa-ooooooo... the Israelites.

He, he....I KNEW that was coming. wink
    I am extremely serious.