• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    LEGO today is a lot different today than I remember it being. Today you buy LEGO to build a specific thing and that dulls a child's imagination. They can think that that is all they can make. I have to encourage David to make something different.

I seem to recall you bought the bricks to make things you wanted. Special kits were exceptions rather than the norm.

Exactly!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. When I was getting into Lego, they had already more sets than we could choose from. I loved that as a kid, opening the box, sorting all the various parts, and getting started with the instructions ready. I loved that linear way of constructing.

Yeah but now there is a theme or set for everything imaginable.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012
    I think even with the special kits children eventually start creating new things, combining all the LEGO they own from all the kits. Also, I once was in a huge toy store where you could buy LEGO like candy. You know, fill your plastic bag with what you need, weigh and pay.
    punk

We also bought separate power functions (for LEGO technic with power functions) to make new stuff.

And Julian bought the NXT Mindstorms. There are three robots you can build that are in the booklet, so you know how to use all the functions. But the idea of it all is of course: design your own robot. You have to write the program and you can share the program with others. Also if you simply search YouTube for NXT Mindstorms, you can see some great and very creative ideas!!
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    He has Mindstorms! Jealous.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Yep, he bought it himself with money he got for his birthday too. We found a good deal though, 224 Euro instead of 300.
    robot

There's something I've always wanted to do but never did. Buy some plastic boxes like the ones to store tools, screws and other things like that. Then take apart all the LEGO we have and organize it into the boxes. Even have a tool box (you know like a case) for the smallest pieces. And have boxes like in that store for the bigger parts. And then start from scratch with building something. It would look cool in his room, like a LEGO store.
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012 edited
    Well done of your son! cheesy

Btw, I have such giant Lego storage bricks. I put in cd's and books. Very handle to staple, and very strong. I also have a Lego head. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Nice! spin
    Although the head is quite expensive and small if I remember from seeing it once in a store?
  2. So, there's these food sample stands at a local gorcery store.

Helming one is a white redheaded girl, kind of cute. I always walk by and never want anything. One day a few weeks ago she started saying, with a hand on a hip and pointing, "One of these days you're gonna stop. I'm gonna have something you like."

So, it was only a matter of time before I did what I did today.

"One of these days I'm gonna have something you want."

Me: "We're still talking about food, right? Gotta go!" walk away.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012
    The next 2 weeks will probably be incredibly busy at work, but I just booked my vacation to the Venice Film Festival right after it! I'll be staying for a long weekend (need to mind the costs) and managed to get tickets to 2 films, namely:

THE MASTER, by Paul Thomas Anderson, and:
    TO THE WONDER, by Terrence Malick.

Can't wait cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Very cool Bob! Seems you'll be doing more of these festivals then. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012 edited
    Yep, I realised that, when traveling alone, those film festivals are excellent to have something to do during the evenings and give a little structure to the vacation, while you have all day long to explore the city. They also serve as good arguments to decide on which city to go. smile
  3. Venice. One of the most beautiful cities in the world. So easy to get away from all the tourists!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Venice. One of the most beautiful cities in the world. So easy to get away from all the tourists!

Is that where you are now? dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I wish!

No. San Francisco! wink

I wish!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Skye?

I wish! slant
  5. We are back home now. You need to get to Skye Tim for a bit of leisurely walking in your advancing years!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin

With your lovely pictures and reports from the island, I'll try to convince my friends again! What's it with islands and me btw. Corsica is coming up next.
    Kazoo
  6. Bregt, I can't provide much more compelling evidence. It may be difficult to surpass your previous trips though!
  7. Well, I had a very pleasant day, doing absolutely nothing (well, reading and swimming a bit) in the South of France at my parents' place.
    Now I'm wondering how much time it will take my over-active mind to realize there is nothing else to do, but to surrender to the peace and quiet and to let go...

Anyway, looking forward to two more weeks of this...
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Well, I had a very pleasant day, doing absolutely nothing (well, reading and swimming a bit) in the South of France at my parents' place.
    Now I'm wondering how much time it will take my over-active mind to realize there is nothing else to do, but to surrender to the peace and quiet and to let go...

Apparently that'll take two weeks.

Anyway, looking forward to two more weeks of this...

Oh. Oops. sad

Try and have fun nonetheless, Elin! Soak in the sun and the peace!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Martijn wrote
    Try and have fun nonetheless, Elin! Soak in the sun and the peace!

I did my best and enjoyed the second day even more than the first. Of course I have something to look forward to. Somebody I love is staying a couple of days at my parents' place and arriving tonight.

So good times are definitely ahead.

In the mean time I use my dad's IPad to sit on the porch, and write to you guys.
    Life can be so hard, but not right now.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012
    I' m currently holidaying in Elafonisos and I've just seen a wonderful sunset from our room's balcony! I'm writing to you from my boyfriend's iPad and he has started to ask what I'm doing, so I have to leave! See you all soon guys!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012 edited
    Stavroula wrote
    I' m currently holidaying in Elafonisos and I've just seen a wonderful sunset from our room's balcony! I'm writing to you from my boyfriend's iPad and he has started to ask what I'm doing, so I have to leave! See you all soon guys!

cool

Sounds brilliant!

Boyfriend, eh? Glad to see you're together for once. Seems like there has been much long-distance love for a long time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Yeah! We are finally together after almost 7 months! Talk about long distance! I had a really hard time with my job this year and the last two weeks haven't been kind to me so I needed this break with him! See you soon guys!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    Yeah! We are finally together after almost 7 months!

Grumble grumble grumble
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012
    biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. I forgot to post this a week ago, but here's what made one day a little better.

I was with a friend and he was cleaning a toilet. I found a fortune cookie left behind and not eaten. I walked over and said (paraphrasing -- don't remember my precise words):

"Found a fortune cookie. You want it to be your fortune or my fortune?"

He replies: "I don't give a FUCK," while scrubbing.

"It'll be your messege then."

I open the cookie and pull out the messege. I laugh. It read:

You have a charming way with words.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2012
    Our weather is heating up in time for Thor so I decided this morning not to see the forecast. While it was quite warm the fact that I didn't know the number made it a little cooler cheesy
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2012 edited
    biggrin

Will you be able to meet Thor Tom?
    Kazoo