• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2008
    Antineutrino wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Still have to wait for a Giacchino score that I really like.

I could agree with you if we are talking about movies (I like Ratatouille but the rest of his stuff for the movies has left me quite cold). But you don´t even like his videogames music? Not a single Medal of Honor? Secret Weapons over Normandy, etc etc?? And his music for TV?

His videogame music has left me cold so far (like almost all video game music, no matter the composer). Lost, of course is great. This and Cloverfield are my favourite Giacchino scores.

I prefer all his non-video game stuff to all his video-game stuff.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I used to prefer his game stuff, but since The Incredibles, Ratatouille, MI3, Lost etc. I've switched.

And this afternoon I am going to check out Alias (I've never heard it before! shocked )
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    I used to prefer his game stuff, but since The Incredibles, Ratatouille, MI3, Lost etc. I've switched.

You mean... you used to prefer his gamescores, until he started doing other things as well? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, people who BITCH about Mickey Mousing... WHY are you a film music fan to begin with? Film music is all about hitting sync points which is mickey mousing!

-Erik-

Nein, commandante.

Mickey mousing is referencing the PHYSICAL actions of the characters with musical flourishes, etc. Most film music involves referencing the EMOTIONAL actions of the characters with cue-changes, and the jargon for this is 'phrasing the action'.

And I'd only half agree there, as to get the emotion right, you've got to fit it in with the picture. wink

Yupper!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2008
    Southall wrote
    Agreed, Anthony. I won't be listening to this. But I eagerly await the album!

Same here. I listened to slight portions but they wasn't of my taste. And judging by the fact that i virtually hated the 90% of any complete score i've heard so far, i'll leave it to the final album to judge the score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, people who BITCH about Mickey Mousing... WHY are you a film music fan to begin with? Film music is all about hitting sync points which is mickey mousing!

-Erik-

Nein, commandante.

Mickey mousing is referencing the PHYSICAL actions of the characters with musical flourishes, etc. Most film music involves referencing the EMOTIONAL actions of the characters with cue-changes, and the jargon for this is 'phrasing the action'.

And I'd only half agree there, as to get the emotion right, you've got to fit it in with the picture. wink

Yupper!

-Erik-

Well, let's not over-complicated stuff. Mickey mousing is that fast-paced, irritatingly fluffy and happily ho music we all came to know and label as such and it's strictly a matter of taste if you like it or not. It's NOT what film music is about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Nein, commandante.

Yupper!

-Erik-

Well, let's not over-complicated stuff. Mickey mousing is that fast-paced, irritatingly fluffy and happily ho music we all came to know and label as such and it's strictly a matter of taste if you like it or not. It's NOT what film music is about.

It most definitely is. Following the action with the music. It's most definitely a very important aspect of film music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2008 edited
    Well there ARE other ways to approach film music, naturally, and not every composer out there today is strictly synching music with on-screen visuals and their timings the way traditional mickey mousing does; so yes, it is an important approach to film music, it is rooted right there in its history but that doesn't mean that film music IS about mickey mousing. One (average-sized in comparison) side of it is as more and more modern film scores tend to move away from that way of scoring film.
  1. People seem to confuse mickey-mousing with music that follows 'the action', but they really aren't the same thing.

Case in point: MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA. There is not a bit of mickey-mousing in the whole score, but the music does follow the action very closely, as in just about every non-atmosphere focused Williams score. Mickey-mousing is very rare these days, precisely because it only works when there's nothing better for the music to do than serve as musical sound effects (ie when the physical is all that matters), and the film won't suffer from seeming a bit comic. It got linked with animation from very early in sound cinema (as the name indicates, though in the forties it was described as 'Disney scoring') because experiments with it in serious live action (mostly by Steiner) drew such ire from film-makers and critics alike.

Just trying to think of live-action examples off the top of my head... Southall suggested 101 DALMATIONS... In the first PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, Jack Sparrow's drunken steps are mimiced in the music. In DOOR IN THE FLOOR, there's a moment when the composer deliberately mocks the Jeff Bridges character with mickey-mousing. David Newman scores have a bit. LEMONY SNICKET too. The flute-bird music in PRISONER OF AZKABAN. It's used, but its pretty rare.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed. I am obviously talking about mickey-mousing as meant in the later part of your post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Mickey Mousing is a very big aspect of film music and sometimes you don't even realize that there is any mickey mousing going on until someone points it out to you. I know that not all scores do it... but it's a major component of film music and I just have to laugh anytime some one says that there is TOO much of it. I personally wish there was more of it... not so much the Looney Tunes style of it but more music following the scene more precisely. Now, I'm not looking for a composer to do it throughout the entire score mind you... but more... let's say... like the orchestral blasts in Raiders that represent the punches during the Airplane Fight. Or the way Williams let's the string run down the scale as a person is falling off a cliff or from a building.

As for the mickey mousing in Speed Racer... it's impossible to call it that until you see the film. But maybe it's the only way for some people to discribe the music they are hearing.

Anyway...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I haven't heard SPeed Racer (well, just a little bit of it) yet but does that kind of mickey mousing you like also include the merciless banging of - say, HORTON HEARS A WHO?
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    ... like the orchestral blasts in Raiders that represent the punches during the Airplane Fight. Or the way Williams let's the string run down the scale as a person is falling off a cliff or from a building.

You're right in that the action variant of it is too rare these days. Korngold sword fights could be added to your list. Also the 'Ice Bear Combat' cue from GOLDEN COMPASS, which has a standout moment of mickey-mousing when the two bears trade four blows that seem to spell out 'Ragnar's motif'.

I guess I'm just saying that it's a fairly confined technique, not as important to film music as the notion of a character theme, or the use of variations of themes throughout a work, or the idea of referencing the most plot-relevant moments in the spotting of a scene. When I'm describing techniques to students, I usually present it as a special case (one that requires much more compositional skill for that matter).

Funny you mention Powell, Demetris. While his music does whip up a frenzy - always moving very quickly with the animated characters, I never saw much mickey-mousing in HAPPY FEET. Not like say, RATATOUILLE, which really did justice to the concept.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    How odd that John Barry described his work on Bond as "million dollar Mickey Mouse music" and yet very rarely Mickey Moused any of it except the odd 'stinger' cues.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Barry does have a tendency to exaggerate for argument's sake. wink
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I always thought mickey-mousing was when the music follows the character's actions almost step by step. The character starts to prance, the music starts to prance, and then the character falls, and then the music begins to fall, the character crashes, the music comes to an abrupt end. It usually seems to have lots of ideas that last only a few seconds each, and there is a lightheartedness to it. That's just from what I've associated it with.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote
    Not like say, RATATOUILLE, which really did justice to the concept.

I was just about to point this out. ''A Real Gourmet Kitchen'' is very, very clever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

Funny you mention Powell, Demetris. While his music does whip up a frenzy - always moving very quickly with the animated characters, I never saw much mickey-mousing in HAPPY FEET. Not like say, RATATOUILLE, which really did justice to the concept.

No, no, i am talking about HORTON mate. Not Happy Feet, Not ratatouille.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    ''Saved'' and ''Hello'' = sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anyone Knows ( I didn't have time to listen or read the interview) , Why Wachowsky Bros. Hired Giacchino instead of Davis?

thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Is Davis still working on that opera? (It had better be good!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Nautilus wrote
    Why Wachowsky Bros. Hired Giacchino instead of Davis?

Well, Joel Silver never liked Don Davis so it was no surprise for me that Davis was never in talks to score Speed Racer. Apart from that Davis and the Wachowskis didn't really work together on the two The Matrix sequels. The Wachowskis weren't involved in the scoring process.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Although "opera" and "Good" are very hard to mix in the same sentence.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

It's hard to believe how much good creative work over centuries of development just got tossed aside in that sentence. In other news, painting is overrated and sculpture is out of touch with the times.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Dom wrote
    Davis and the Wachowskis didn't really work together on the two The Matrix sequels. The Wachowskis weren't involved in the scoring process.

Shame on them then, ´cause Davis´scores were part of the success of the film(s).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Is 2008 the year of the opera singer? Already we've heard them in Horton Hears a Who, Cloverfield and Speed Racer. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

It's hard to believe how much good creative work over centuries of development just got tossed aside in that sentence. In other news, painting is overrated and sculpture is out of touch with the times.

wink

Nah, i like certain Operas.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

wink

Nah, i like certain Operas.

I'm with you D, I like certain operas but even then I can only take a bit at a time even if the music is magnificent, the vocals grate on me very quickly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The vocals is what normally drives me crazy....the music of the operas is what pushed the boundaries through the centuries, it's simply breathtaking. Like Handel's "Julius Caesar in Egypt". Spectacular work.