• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2008
    *waits for Erik to make snide comment about Wallin's mixing for Speed Racer*

Giacchino's score for Speed Racer sounds like he wrote the score while under the influence of a long sugar and caffeine rush -- the overall vibe does match the feel of the Japanese anime at times, particularly the opening. And some of the woodwind work is regurgitated from The Incredibles.

It's got a lot of energy and pretty vibrant, but it's way too mickey-mousing for my tastes (almost like Newman's scores for Scooby Doo in places). I'm sure Erik and Demetris will gobble it up and rave about it, but I doubt that it'll be one of the best scores of 2008 by the time December rolls around. Indy 4 will almost definitely be May 2008's finest score.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    when is varese gonna release more alias?
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    It certainly does have that Anime feel to it. I was under the impression he would write a new theme, then somehow incorporate the old Speed Racer theme elsewhere, but I guess not. It sounds alright from that clip, nothing truly special. I'll definitely give the CD a try, but the movie still looks disappointing.
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2008 edited
    Now that I think about it, it has a sort of Elfman feel to it. What I'd like to call "busy" music, very relentless, multi-layered, and going in all directions.

That being said, this score definitely will be atop the May '08 scores. It sounds very well-crafted, but like expected nothing terribly original. A lot of mickey-mousing (which I don't mind). In comparing the May '08 scores (not movies), this seems as though it'll blow Iron Man out of the water.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The word 'Mickey Mousing' is really putting me off of this one.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Wow, that's great news! Amazing how much you miss if you're just three days away from the computer! dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    A lot of people have been saying there's too much mickey mousing, but has anyone actually listened to the entire clip for 1:58:15 or however long it is?
  1. Now I realized why I liked the Colverfield overture. Dan Wallin was not involved in this film...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Oh come on. Dan Walling admittedly isn't the best mixer out there ( tongue ), but people seem to blame every single falt with a Giacchino score on him.

You're listening to an 128kb un-edited version of the score on that site (not the OST) and everyone assumes it's going to sound like that. slant rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Anthony wrote
    A lot of people have been saying there's too much mickey mousing, but has anyone actually listened to the entire clip for 1:58:15 or however long it is?

I have, and I still stick by my claim of too much mickey-mousing in the score. If I want a mickey-mousing score I'll stick with JNH's Peter Pan or John Williams's Philosopher's Stone. Speed Racer has energy and flair, but it just puts me off.

Anthony, the only person who frequently criticizes the mixing of Giacchino's scores is Erik. He'll rave about the quality of a score then criticize the mixing if Wallin is involved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Matt C wrote If I want a mickey-mousing score I'll stick with John Williams's Philosopher's Stone.

I beg your pardon? shocked
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Yes, you heard me right. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hmmm, not immediately something I warmed up for the first 20 minutes. To think this lasts for another 100 minutes is just frightening. I'll wait for the cd and see what it's like. I'm sure it'll not top any of his other scores though. tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Matt C wrote
    Yes, you heard me right. wink

Take me to your dealer, I have to try out that stuff, too. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2008
    Bored with it. Next. Bring me LOST SEASON 3, noW!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2008 edited
    I'm still amazed a lot of people are judging it based on this...wait until the OST and then make up your mind! rolleyes spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, we (or, I, at least) are judging the score. Why should we wait till we get a selection of portions of the score, so when we only hear a small part of it, before we can form an opinion? confused Shouldn't it be, actually, the other way round, if you think of it? I haven't heard all of it yet, but I've heard a great part (75%? I had to leave at that point), so I guess my judgement is pretty fair. I will listen to the rest before final judgement, though.

Still, you're right of course to all the people who stop playing the score after about 20 min. because they're bored, and start yelling what a dull score this is. In all fairness, every movie starts slow, so especially when you listen to the full score, it builds up slower.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    BobdH wrote
    Why should we wait till we get a selection of portions of the score, so when we only hear a small part of it, before we can form an opinion?

Because getting select portions is the point of a soundtrack. Completes scores rarely work well outside of a film, hence the cutting down and editing of soundtracks - to make a better listening experience out of the context of the film. smile Lots of people seem to be basing their opinion on this complete when we don't even know what it's like in the movie or on the OST.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Agreed, Anthony. I won't be listening to this. But I eagerly await the album!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I just used that website to listen to the first 5 minutes. I like it.... I like David Newman's Scooby Doo too...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Anthony, the only person who frequently criticizes the mixing of Giacchino's scores is Erik. He'll rave about the quality of a score then criticize the mixing if Wallin is involved.

Do we have a problem with this? BTW, Dan Wallin recorded and mixed Ratatouille and I actually LIKED the sound of it!

tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    You're listening to an 128kb un-edited version of the score on that site (not the OST) and everyone assumes it's going to sound like that. slant rolleyes

Ummm... it most likely WILL sound like that with the slushiness taken out when you hear the uncompressed version on CD. But, what's on that stream is basically what you are going to get on the album... well, not the complete score mind you, but... well... ya. That's the finished mix.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BTW, people who BITCH about Mickey Mousing... WHY are you a film music fan to begin with? Film music is all about hitting sync points which is mickey mousing!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Why should we wait till we get a selection of portions of the score, so when we only hear a small part of it, before we can form an opinion?

Because getting select portions is the point of a soundtrack. Completes scores rarely work well outside of a film, hence the cutting down and editing of soundtracks - to make a better listening experience out of the context of the film. smile Lots of people seem to be basing their opinion on this complete when we don't even know what it's like in the movie or on the OST.

^ Thor would be proud!

-Erik-
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, people who BITCH about Mickey Mousing... WHY are you a film music fan to begin with? Film music is all about hitting sync points which is mickey mousing!

-Erik-

Nein, commandante.

Mickey mousing is referencing the PHYSICAL actions of the characters with musical flourishes, etc. Most film music involves referencing the EMOTIONAL actions of the characters with cue-changes, and the jargon for this is 'phrasing the action'.

I wouldn't know if SPEED RACER involves either, because: (i) you have to see the film to know that it's happening; (ii) I will wait for an album. 120 minutes is too much of an intro for me! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Nein, commandante.

Mickey mousing is referencing the PHYSICAL actions of the characters with musical flourishes, etc. Most film music involves referencing the EMOTIONAL actions of the characters with cue-changes, and the jargon for this is 'phrasing the action'.

And I'd only half agree there, as to get the emotion right, you've got to fit it in with the picture. wink
  3. Rather than take the time to explain the difference, I recommend a perusal of Fred Karlin's definitive scoring tech-guide - 'ON THE TRACK'. He explores the difference between the methods of 'mickey mousing' (to be honest - very rare these days in a non-animated context) and 'phrasing the action'. Both involve hit points, but the motivation and manifestation of the hits is very different. A contrasting method altogether that resists moments of synchronisation is 'playing against the action', something you'll find more in the composers that come out of Europe like Delerue, Morricone and Desplat.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Antineutrino wrote
    Still have to wait for a Giacchino score that I really like.

I could agree with you if we are talking about movies (I like Ratatouille but the rest of his stuff for the movies has left me quite cold). But you don´t even like his videogames music? Not a single Medal of Honor? Secret Weapons over Normandy, etc etc?? And his music for TV?

I still hope Star Trek to be his best movie score to date.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I listened to some utterly fantastic mickey-mousing last night - Kamen's 101 Dalmatians. Why that score doesn't get more love is beyond me - what a gem it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    Marselus wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Still have to wait for a Giacchino score that I really like.

I could agree with you if we are talking about movies (I like Ratatouille but the rest of his stuff for the movies has left me quite cold). But you don´t even like his videogames music? Not a single Medal of Honor? Secret Weapons over Normandy, etc etc?? And his music for TV?

His videogame music has left me cold so far (like almost all video game music, no matter the composer). Lost, of course is great. This and Cloverfield are my favourite Giacchino scores.