• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    dgoldwas wrote
    Finally!

Michael Giacchino recorded his score to Star Trek last fall, and with the movie finally coming out next month, we're able to bring our readers our exclusive coverage of the scoring sessions!

http://www.scoringsessions.com

Enjoy!

So Giacchino and Co. are wearing Star Trek costumes and has a model of the original Enterprise overlooking the studio? Ralph is right, a person with this much respect for the franchise clearly isn't the right choice of composer.

I. WANT. THAT. ENTERPRISE. MODEL.

I see jazz drummer Alex Acuna is part of the orchestra? He used to play with Weather Report and you DON'T play with a band like that unless you're the best in your field. Acuna also played on Predator 2....nuff said!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    dgoldwas wrote
    Finally!

Michael Giacchino recorded his score to Star Trek last fall, and with the movie finally coming out next month, we're able to bring our readers our exclusive coverage of the scoring sessions!

Enjoy!

So Giacchino and Co. are wearing Star Trek costumes and has a model of the original Enterprise overlooking the studio? Ralph is right, a person with this much respect for the franchise clearly isn't the right choice of composer.

Me too!

(Although I'd prefer this one.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    dgoldwas wrote
    Finally!

Enjoy!

Me too!

(Although I'd prefer this one.)

I don't think the film version of the Enterprise can be beaten....and battle damaged lick cool

I'd want to see both models with my own eyes lighting up and all that shit before I splashed the cash though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Plus a greatly gifted composer, a largely able and educated musician and an extremely top professional. No; not good; toss him and hire an RC hack, there's still time!

Guys, would you please stop?

I never said Giacchino is untalented, uneducated, undedicated and whatever else it is you´re imagining I said.

All I ever said was that I don´t like the sound of his music (meaning I prefer at least a bit of "echo", a "hall-effect"). There are scores where I don´t care or think it´s important (like with Lost), and there is Trek, where I find the "hall-effect" to be much more important, up to the point where it just symbolizes the vastness of space for me. That he didn´t change his personal sound preference for Trek means he has not the same preferences like me, which means, for me, he´s not the right choice.

Additionally, after listening to more Giacchino stuff in the last weeks, I have some doubts that Giacchino´s musical style fits my preferences for a Trek score in general. That, too, says nothing about his talent or education or dedication or whatever, most of all, it doesn´t say anything about whether I like his style in general or not.

These are the two reasons why I (as in me & myself)) think Giacchino is a bad choice for Trek. Neither of them has anything to do with the things you´re implicating I´m critizising, nor are they suggesting that this is more than my personal opinion but universal truth. I´ll leave the promotion of that to some other guy.

I even implicated that I´m probably going to like that new main theme he wrote (I´m already humming it from time to time), although I still don´t like the sound or style regarding to what I want from a Trek score, but that doesn´t mean I can´t like it in another context.

What does that say about his compositorical abilities and my opinion about it?

Do I still think he´s a good composer? Yes.
    Do I still think he´s not a good choice for Trek? Yes.
    Do I still think he´s doing the best he can? Yes.

And that´s all there is.

So would you please stop defending the guy from attacks by me that are just not there, before the feeling settles that you are not only defending, but actually kissing some part of the guy that I don´t want to imagine?

Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Calm down dude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm one of those who don't understand what the big fuss over Giacchino is either and who am absolutely flabbergasted that he has a whopping 52 pages and more than 1500 replies so far (he obviously must have SOMETHING that makes fans proclaim him as the Second Coming), but I'm still mildly curious about what the STAR TREK score will sound like. I'm trying to follow his work to "get" what it is that attracts so many "nerd" fans. Is it the projects he picks (often in "nerd" territory)? Is it that he does traditional orchestral music with lots of "colour"? The odes to popular culture melodies and styles? Perhaps all of this, but to me he is still someone who obviously knows his stuff and some novel approaches (I'm thinking of LOST, in particular), but is for the most part an anonymous voice in film music land. He simply doesn't click with me.

There, I said it. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Next you'll be telling us you hate listening to complete scores!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Next you'll be telling us you hate listening to complete scores!?

Probably, yeah. Crazy stuff, eh?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    the Giacchino thing? Totally.Open your ears wink The complete score thingy? Nah, not really, i actually agree smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Steven wrote
    Calm down dude.

If I were not as calm as I am, I wouldn´t have explained my opinion again (because you obviously didn´t care to remember it from the countless times I stated it before), but would have asked you how wearing funny costumes and having starship models around while conducting improves sound or style of the actual music conducted instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ok.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    the Giacchino thing? Totally.Open your ears wink The complete score thingy? Nah, not really, i actually agree smile

I agree that I prefer the best listening experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Giacchino certainly seems to have entered that very, very small band of film composers (led by Williams and Goldsmith) where not only is it very much frowned upon to offer any criticism at all, actually anything but the heartiest praise tends to attract derision.

For the record, I think he's great! I much prefer his film scores to the video games or television, but I do enjoy most of the latter. Lost doesn't seem nearly so good as it did when it first started (when it had the benefit of being very fresh sounding, for tv music - naturally enough it no longer sounds so fresh now it's five years old - it's still good for tv, but I don't think it would stand up to many film scores, which is understandable given the time frames he writes each episode's score in) so I am not in Anthony's camp of looking forward to Lost more than Star Trek.

As for whether he's the best composer for Star Trek, let's wait and hear the score before deciding. I can't think of many I would rather hear do a Star Trek score - James Horner, naturally, but I'm struggling to think of others. My only concern would be that each of the previous Star Trek films has had a very strong main theme, and that doesn't seem to be Giacchino's strongest suit. Apart from the Ratatouille song theme, I can't really think of any Giacchino themes I could hum - but hopefully he's pulled it off for this one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well said. I can hum pretty much any theme from all of the Giacchino scores I regularly listen to... but that's because I have an awesome memory when it comes to music. To hell with being modest about that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall, quite. Giacchino is one of the last remaining composers who knows how to suit each and every movie with the score it needs, but at the same time he also realizes the importance of proper thematic material and actual orchestration / arrangements.
  1. From the FSM podcast, I quite like the Giacchino main theme, however I do agree with their assessment that once upon a time, that 'theme' would have been viewed as a decent counterline. The counterpoint between the Giacchino theme and the old STAR TREK tv title music is a great touch. If the score has writing like that on a regular basis - unlikely alas given the current standards for scoring action scenes - it will be a treat.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    All I ever said was that I don´t like the sound of his music (meaning I prefer at least a bit of "echo", a "hall-effect"). There are scores where I don´t care or think it´s important (like with Lost), and there is Trek, where I find the "hall-effect" to be much more important, up to the point where it just symbolizes the vastness of space for me. That he didn´t change his personal sound preference for Trek means he has not the same preferences like me, which means, for me, he´s not the right choice.

Well, Giacchino is to blame for that since he did choose Dan Wallin as his scoring mixer. BTW, what are your opinons of Star Trek II, III and IV?

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Additionally, after listening to more Giacchino stuff in the last weeks, I have some doubts that Giacchino´s musical style fits my preferences for a Trek score in general. That, too, says nothing about his talent or education or dedication or whatever, most of all, it doesn´t say anything about whether I like his style in general or not.

What is a Star Trek film score suppose to sound like?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Many will say RC-esque.

I will bring my bucket.

You can join.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Many will say RC-esque.

I will bring my bucket.

You can join.

I don't think anyone would say that as ST scores have NEVER sounded like RC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, what are your opinons of Star Trek II, III and IV?

II & III I like despite the fact that they sound dry sometimes, too, just because they are fantastic compositions from an era where Horner was still presenting his ideas to an audience which barely knew him. As a matter of fact, I remember that I was very disappointed that this Horner guy was chosen instead of Goldsmith for II, but I also remember that I was blown away by it from the very first minute, so I forgave them very fast. But as much as I like II (both score and movie), I always thought TMP brought a realism to Trek that was never matched again ever after, and to this day, I prefer Goldsmith´s score high above Horner´s. III was a nice recap (and one of the first hints that Horner wasn´t too much into developing new ideas) with a brilliant action cue and some nice variations of stuff I already knew.

I consider Star Trek IV to be a desaster on almost every level despite its humour, and don´t get me started on the score. When I heard Rosenman´s Theme for the first time (while watching the animated The Lord of the Rings, of course), I liked it very much. I was not so fond of it when it turned out to be his Trek Theme, too. And his RoboCop Theme. And...

But we were talking about sound.

Goldsmith´s TMP score set a personal standard for me that was never matched again by any other composer. TMP had that spectacular sound scape that matched the realism of TMP so fondly I can´t imagine any other type of score for that movie. While I think Horner nailed the style, Goldsmith nailed the sound better than anyone else, although I would have preferred a lot more hall on the main and end titles, too, like he did on his later Trek scores.

That´s a difficult question, since everyone will have a different opinion on that one. Personally, I want to hear the vastness of space, the strangeness of the universe, the grandieur of the starship named Enterprise, and lots of other things. For starters, use a hall effect that makes you believe it was recorded in a cathedral. For additional hints, I need someone with an education in music to help me express it. I know what I want to feel, but I wouldn´t know how to accomplish it.

I just know that Giacchino doesn´t sound that way, but the music used in the trailers did (though they are certainly not the style I would prefer (just to calm Demetris down).

But, again, it´s a personal preference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph, you want VANGELIS then wink Have you listened to MYTHODEA?
  2. Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Many will say RC-esque.

I will bring my bucket.

You can join.

There was a short-living rumour that Zimmer was supposed to score one of the Jonathan Frakes-directed movies, because Frakes is admittedly a fan of his (which eventually led to his hiring for Thunderbirds, which SUCKS).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    From the FSM podcast, I quite like the Giacchino main theme, however I do agree with their assessment that once upon a time, that 'theme' would have been viewed as a decent counterline.

confused
    So it's not a theme?
    Nothing to whistle again?

*sigh*
    sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    The piece that opens the FSM Trek podcast, is that from Giacchino's score? If not then which Trek score is it from?
  3. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    From the FSM podcast, I quite like the Giacchino main theme, however I do agree with their assessment that once upon a time, that 'theme' would have been viewed as a decent counterline.

confused
    So it's not a theme?
    Nothing to whistle again?

*sigh*
    sad

Oh, it's a theme, and you can whistle it. I guess I meant I can see what the guys mean about it being a counterline. It has that kind of simplicity to it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Many will say RC-esque.

I will bring my bucket.

You can join.

There was a short-living rumour that Zimmer was supposed to score one of the Jonathan Frakes-directed movies, because Frakes is admittedly a fan of his (which eventually led to his hiring for Thunderbirds, which SUCKS).

I would have said who I think should have scored it but there isn't any point as the film sucked big ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Horner's score to Wrath Of Khan and Goldsmith's First Contact are my favourites. Maybe because I've not listened to much more Trek scores other than these... tongue
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph, you want VANGELIS then wink Have you listened to MYTHODEA?

Yes, I have. Fantastic album, though I have to be in the right mood to listen to it. And yes, that´s the sound I want. smile But not the style. wink BTW, the similarities between Mythodea and DaVinci Code are very interesting, don´t you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Then Revell's RED PLANET!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    It has that kind of simplicity to it.

Ooooooooh.
    Big deal.

Love Me Do is simple.
    Rock Around The Clock is simple.
    As long as it's GOOD, I couldn't give a toss about complexity.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn