• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Giacchino is miles ahead of the RC composers. I think only Hans himself and John Powell can rival him in that matter. His scores are very enjoyable and at the same time well scored for the movie!

In terms of artistry, I think Zimmer is up there. In terms of technical ability.... nah. No way.

Zimmer is without a doubt one of the current top. If only the army of incomparably inferior clones never existed though..

I think you just hit a nail on the head regarding my indifference to Zimmer, the fact that Zimmer's music has been diluted by so many clones diminishes Zimmer's own efforts and to be honest Zimmer himself is as much to blame for this though I doubt it affects his bank balance.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Southall wrote
    Hmm. No James Horner. Would love to hear a McNeely or Broughton score for a Star Trek film. (Or indeed another Eidelman one.) Fortunately I am also keen to hear a Giacchino score for a Star Trek film.

I feel like I'm in the Dark Knight thread again, only in reverse.

Oops, forgot Horner! He should do another one too, if the film suits his more modern style.
    I am also keen to hear a Giacchino star trek score as well, but I was just throwing those names in to be unnecessarily argumentative. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2009
    Unnecessarily argumentative? That's the best kind of argumentative!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

Classic applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    One of their best routines. Love Monty Python.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2009
    Just noticed that Giacchino´s "Roar!" was performed by the The Slovak National Orchestra. Does somebody (Anthony?) know why didn´t they recorded the cue in LA?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'll ask Chad Seiter if I get the chance as I know he orchestrated the entire thing. Costs probably?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2009 edited
    Final predictions for the new Lost soundtrack!

I'm glad someone at Lostpedia is doing the same as well, but I think they're being rather vague on the most part and have a few bits wrong.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned it's going to be the below:

Giving Up The Ghost - Hurley & Charlie sitting outside Santa Rosa. Contains the new flashforward theme and a really weird take on Ocean's Apart.

Locke'ing Horns - Still unknown. This is from The Beginning Of The End. Most likely the cue played when the survivors split into groups (what a bore!)

Lost Away - Or Is It? - The epic version of Sayid's theme as he take off in the helicopter. Most likely ending at his arrival at the vets instead of the full cue going through to the end of the episode.

Backgammon Gambit - Locke and Sawyer run to the boathouse to discover Miles is gone and Kate breaks into Locke's (Ben's) house and takes Miles to Ben. Opening of the cue likely to be cut off and ending when Kate shoots the lock on the door.

Time And Time Again - Unknown. Likely to be either Faraday's motif as he's speaking with Desmond on the sat phone, or a version of Desmond's motif heard throughout the episode.

The Constant - Des's phone call with Penny.

Maternity Hell - Sun calls out for Jin at the hospital. Jin gets a call on his cell phone but nearly gets run over by a scooter causing him to drop it. His phone is then run over, and the giant panda toy he has bought is driven away in the taxi. Jin runs back into the toy store to buy another panda.

Karma Jin-itiative - Jin and Bernard sit fishing on the outrigger. Rose & Bernard's theme appears for the first time since season 2.

Ji Yeon - The Life & Death theme is combined with Sun & Jin's theme as Sun and Hurley visit Jin's grave.

Michael's Right To Remain Wrong - Michael speaks with his mother and she tells him he has no right to see Walt. (Michael & Walt's theme will finally be on CD!) This then leads into Michael buying a gun, walking down the alley and then the appearance of Mr Friendly.

Bodies And Bungalows - Doc Ray's body washes up on the beach. Freighter theme!!

Benundrum - Ben, Hurley and Locke start stacking up furniture infront of the door. Hurley asks how Sawyer is going to get back in an Ben tells him he's not. Sawyer starts alerting other team Locke members that the mercenaries are coming and several red shirts are killed. Sawyer exchanges gunfire with the mercs and almost makes it to Claire's house just before it blows up.

Hostile Negotiations - Hmm...probably NOT the final scene with Widmore and Ben as it's too long. Most likely Ben and Keamy's dialogue before Alex is killed. Unfortunately most of this music is tracked straight in from season 3, but there is a dramatic version of Ben's theme at the end. Euch...they should have switched this for Ben following Bakir in the market and Sayid killing him. *Sigh*

Locke-about - Abbadon's meeting with Locke where he tells him to go on a walkabout, leading into the mercs on the freighter loading up all the weapons and Keamy's confrontation with the captain (this is all I can assume it is being 6 minutes long!)

There's No Place Like Home - First version of the O6 theme as the survivors get off the plane and meet with family.

Nadia On Your Life - Sayid meets with Nadia outside the hanger, leading into the travelling (Hollywood & Vines) theme as he arrives back on the beach in the zodiac. Juliette explains the situation with Jack and Sayid and Kate head into the jungle in search.

C4-titude - Desmond, Jin and Michael discover the boat loaded with C4, meanwhile Sayid and Kate are ambushed by Alpert and the others in the jungle.

Of Mice And Ben - Second version (brass) of the O6 theme as Ben surrenders himself to Keamy.
    Keamy Away From Him - Kate appears at the chopper and encounters Keamy. She tells him team Guyliner are after her and the mercs engage in a firefight with them. Kate and Ben run off with Keamy in pursuit, Sayid intervenes and Guyliner shoots Keamy. Ben tells Sayid and Kate they can take the chopper and to have a safe trip back.

Timecrunch - Locke watching Chang's orientation video on the orchid. I'm annoyed as this does not include the quirky brass opening and kick-ass version of the orchid theme that's heard at the beginning of the scene.

Can't Kill Keamy - I'm still praying this is the flying theme rather than the boring suspense cue with Keamy in the orchid. Time wise it DOES (!) match up with the helicopter take off into Keamy's re-introduction so it's like to be it. The next cue with Keamy going on about the dead mans switch is WAY too long and I honestly can't see them putting something like it on CD.

Bobbing For Freighters - Time wise this fits from when the chopper turns towards the boat after the survivors finally find it, going on throughout Keamy's death scene, continung all the way through the big action piece until Christian appears and the boat explodes.

Locke Of The Island - Ben says goodbye to Locke in the orchid and heads down to the wheel. Locke goes to team Guyliner. Ben breaks through into the wheel room and turns it. The cue ends when team helicopter realise the island is gone and Frank says they're out of fuel.

Lying For The Island - The survivors see the Searcher and Jack explains they'll have to lie. The cue continues throughout Des and Penny's reunion and ends when Jack says they need to talk.

Landing Party - Jack and Frank unload the zodiac off the Searcher and say goodbye. The survivors head to land and the carries on until the end of the scene.

Hoffs Drawler - The final scene with Ben, Jack and Locke-corpse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    I'll ask Chad Seiter if I get the chance as I know he orchestrated the entire thing. Costs probably?

That´s what I think too but, is it really that expensive to record a 12 minute cue in LA that they have to record it outside?

Just an idea, and I know this affects not only Giacchino but lots of composers, but it would be really informative an article featuring all this issue of the costs of recording a score outside US, etc.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Maybe that's the reason. It might be really expensive to sort out an entire orchestra for 12 minutes of music. If they were recording a whole score maybe it would have made more sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Marselus wrote
    Just noticed that Giacchino´s "Roar!" was performed by the The Slovak National Orchestra. Does somebody (Anthony?) know why didn´t they recorded the cue in LA?

I noticed that too. At least for me, it really (sadly) shows that they didn't choose a more reputable orchestra. I'd love to see it rereleased sometime performed by another.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Are you saying you don't like the performance?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote

I'm saying it's not as good as it could have been.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sounds perfect to me. Where are the issues?
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    I think it sounds Great, no problems here. Michael you Rule!!
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    William wrote
    Anthony wrote

'Cause the orchestra isn't American? or British? rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    Sounds perfect to me. Where are the issues?

Maybe it's just the sound of the orchestra that I do not particularly like; all the notes are indeed there, but stylistically, and in terms of playing quality, something seems lacking. Maybe it's the musical phrasing or something along those lines, but in my mind I can hear a much grander rendition by an orchestra like, say, the Hollywood Studio Symphony or London Symphony. There are technically no big "issues" with the current recording; something about it just doesn't sit right with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote
    Anthony wrote

I doubt that's the reason Demetris. You'd have to be pretty damn stupid to think that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mmkay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I relish the idea of listening to orchestras from around the world. Music is one of the few things in life that actually binds us as human beings if you want to get really deep about it. Like mathematics, it's a truly universal language.

Anyway, I should get back to my brandy and cigars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Excuse me, are you answering of behalf of William? I don't doubt your intentions;
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote
    Anthony wrote

Bingo. biggrin JK LOL tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Excuse me, are you answering of behalf of William? I don't doubt your intentions;

No, just thinking out aloud.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    William wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote
    Anthony wrote

How is the orchestra lacking though? It's a National Philharmonic so they're probably one of the best. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009
    Anthony wrote
    William wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote
    Anthony wrote

How is the orchestra lacking though? It's a National Philharmonic so they're probably one of the best. confused

Even if it's one of the best in that country, I had never heard of them before this. And most of it's not too bad; just sometimes it seems like the trombones are rather sloppy in tonguing the notes, etc. And I don't much like the sound of their brass section (an orchestra's brass section is a big deciding factor, for me); not crisp enough, though I presume some of this could be due to the recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009 edited
    William wrote
    Marselus wrote

I noticed that too. At least for me, it really (sadly) shows that they didn't choose a more reputable orchestra. I'd love to see it rereleased sometime performed by another.

If I'm not mistaken they were recording Fracture out there as well and decided to recorded Roar during the same sessions. The Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra is also the same orchestra who performed the shit out of Intrada's Spellbound re-recording!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Didn't they also record North by Northwest there? The new McNeely album?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009
    and... http://www.amazon.com/Jane-Eyre-Bernard … B00000460H

But the score is recorded/played are little dull by the orchestra imho. Still a nice effort/recording though.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates