• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And hearing the arrangement of the original theme in the final clip... vomit

I thought that was the one really standout bit for me. Great to hear a bit theme counterpoint in a score again.

I was too traumatised by how the original theme sounded to hear anything else (including the counterpoint).

[EDIT] I've been wondering the last couple of days whether Giacchino would have got this project if JJ hadn't been directing?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't much like that. It's a slightly silly theme, let's face it, and I hope it doesn't drag the score down the way the Speed Racer theme did to that. Sure it will be used sparingly though (based solely on the use of asterisks in the tracklisting). A great theme! But imagine hearing the Adam West Batman theme during The Dark Knight.
  1. Personally, I prefer the original Star Trek theme being orchestrated for the limited number of musicians that were available for the original TV series. Scored for large orchestra it just doesn't seem right.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Southall wrote
    I didn't much like that. It's a slightly silly theme, let's face it, and I hope it doesn't drag the score down the way the Speed Racer theme did to that. Sure it will be used sparingly though (based solely on the use of asterisks in the tracklisting). A great theme! But imagine hearing the Adam West Batman theme during The Dark Knight.

I think it's a good choice to include the theme. Remember all the bright and pretty colours in every still of this film that has emerged to date. There is something a bit neo-retro about the whole thing.
    And if it sounds a bit weird to hear a 60s pop-influenced piece as part of a classical counterpoint, I guess I'm reluctant to say weird is bad in this case.

(I always liked what Rosenman did with that melody in STAR TREK IV actually.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2009
    Did he use it in Star Trek IV? Don't remember that.

I loved Horner's soft arrangement of it for Star Trek III. A beautiful arrangement of it.
  3. I don't remember Horner's arrangement actually! Was that on the album?
  4. Southall wrote
    Did he use it in Star Trek IV? Don't remember that.

I loved Horner's soft arrangement of it for Star Trek III. A beautiful arrangement of it.

I remember that he used it right at the beginning of the main title but I don't remember it being used much in the film itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Anthony wrote
    HELL YES. Chad Seiter has just confirmed that my Giacchino site will soon be the only Giacchino site. punk punk

Congrats, Antz! Keep it up! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    The overall thing. The songs are wonderful as well and blend excellently with the rest of the orchestral material, an integral part to the score imo.

yep agree with Demitris here, Red Planet is not the Revell you think you know
    lovely surprise

Check out his power rangers score, nice suprise as well.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    One little thing... regarding star trek scores... I noticed that Goldsmith used a small sample in his Nemesis score, taken/inspired by a tiny sample from the score for the TNG episode DATALORE. A kind of metalic/electronic sample... assuming referring to the artificial life form of Data/Lore/B-4. Makes me wonder if Goldsmith was reminded of this episode and sample by someone... or that he watched this episode as research or something. I like it how he incorporated it into the a track in Nemesis for only a few seconds in total. In the extended Nemesis score you can hear it in one of the previously unreleased tracks. (if memory serves, its in the piece of score when they found the head... or was it the arm... of B-4) in the TNG episode its during the discovery of Lore. Anyway, enough of this Trekkie stuff... continue with the original topic... oh wait that's also Trek stuff... well... I love to hear the album asap and see the movie!
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    I don't remember Horner's arrangement actually! Was that on the album?

I think so. Either at the start of the end title piece, or the end of the piece before. (It appears in the film after "Jim... Your name is Jim?")
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah; the Giacchino Star Trek theme isn't good enough; i said it before: there's still time to gather an experienced and mature test audience, reject it as old fashioned and get an RC dude to replace it with rock riffs and sampled choirs / orchestras, bass and reverb!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah; the Giacchino Star Trek theme isn't good enough; !

Do you really think that? (because I do, not the RC thing , thought)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    What is it with this RC aggression, Demetris?

No one here wants that to happen, but would you please accept that not all film music enthusiasts consider Giacchino as the Second Coming of Filmscoring? There are lots of very talented traditional composers left who would deliver fantastic Trek scores, and if someone expresses his or her slightly less enthused feelings about Giacchino, that doesn´t mean that (s)he wants Tyler Bates or that Iron Man guy instead.

Honestly, Giacchino´s own, brandnewTrek theme sounds fine, but the new recording of the original series theme made me cringe at first. I can see why they did that and have since come to accept it, but the use of the original opening fanfare would have been fine enough for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    No one here wants that to happen, but would you please accept that not all film music enthusiasts consider Giacchino as the Second Coming of Filmscoring? There are lots of very talented traditional composers left who would deliver fantastic Trek scores, and if someone expresses his or her slightly less enthused feelings about Giacchino, that doesn´t mean that (s)he wants Tyler Bates or that Iron Man guy instead.

Like? (suggestions of specific names)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph, don’t take things personally all the time; I am making rather general observations about the current state of things and tendencies that want everything easily digestible, teenage-oriented and pseudo-cool; if I am sparked by some specifics of the current topic, that doesn’t necessarily mean that I am talking to you or anyone else in specific, especially since I didn’t hint as such. If you’re the one who’s constantly feeling the need to defend yourself like if you are directly and unmistakably attacked or referenced in some of the posts like mine for instance, then I am afraid that’s not my problem.

To refrain: lately, I find myself rather tired and bored of certain aspects of today’s film music; like, for instance, the constant nagging, whining and bitching; everybody has his / her own stuff they want and expect to listen to all the time from each and every new film score, and anything or anyone who dares deviate a bit, is automatically criticized.

Giacchino is openly admitted by the majority of the film music fanbase and proven through his actual music, as one of the last few remaining actual composers in the genre today. Opposed to many of the younger golden boys, who emerged through the cinematic fanbase of the years past; now, many of those have easily found themselves into privileged positions, enjoying fancy, expensive and cool musical toys in those very young ages but that has caused them the obvious lack of both experience and also proper knowledge. ‘Cause lets face it: most of them haven’t got the slightest clue how to properly utilize their means, making up a constantly growing generation of trendy composers who are trying to reach their teenage idols’ status, but without having what it takes.

The rest are people who are actually in it ‘cause they’re properly trained and have that extra musical background, knowledge, gift and ability. These are the ones who know how to make proper, metered, balanced and meaningful music. They know what to do with their means (both people and tools) and most importantly, they have an artistic AIM with what they’re doing, not just messing around with notes and expensive equipment.

Those keep criticized in the best of cases (like Giacchino’s STAR TREK for instance) by people who have grown into a cultural / musical environment and background that demands easily digestible, insensibly loud and rock-oriented crap filled with excessive amounts of bass and reverb. These people either can’t help it ‘cause this is what they “learned” as cool and proper or most of them are completely ignorant of what preceded in musical history so far. Many of those people simply don’t care to look it up, learn a couple of things and gain a more fuller view on what music is.

The rest of these composers who should be getting the projects, are simply not lucky enough to even get some work.

In our days, I see around me in schools, clubs, bars, cafes, TV and mass media, the movies and musical industry, the streets and the universities, the colleges…..everywhere; what I see is more and more ignorance. In our days in which everyone should supposedly be more informed, cultivated and educated, most people find themselves dealing with such a vast number of different things that it’s impossible to concentrate and learn one of those fully. The excessive amount of information, data and availability has turned most people into puzzled and confused absorbers who are eventually bored and tired. They will leave it without actually starting to study it. I see smattered and sophomoric people around me every single day and that situation is way more dangerous and disappointing than perhaps a state of total ignorance or total illiteracy. But that itself is a general sign of our days anyway so the presence of it in the area of music (and film music in specific) doesn’t surprise me the slightest. However, It does disappoint and tire me.

And we come to the conclusion: many people who share opinions similar or close to mine will agree; others will call some of us old hacks (heck I am still 26 and feeling like that, I don’t want to think how it’ll be in 20-30 years time! wink ) and here we go into the essential loop that the humanity likes to call “the chasm of generations” and which leads absolutely nowhere. Personally speaking, I have reduced the time of actual debate about certain things ‘cause I face the same ol’ stupid pseudo-arguments all over and over again. I much rather concentrate on the smaller amount of the actually good new music around combined with the older gems to satisfy my needs; I stopped reviewing ‘cause I found that the average film score that gets released in our days (of total lack of any kind of filtering on what gets out on the public) is either instantly forgettable crap or not worthy of mentioning/reviewing. I also stopped reviewing ‘cause i started falling into the loop of reviewing stuff that was being sent to me but without having the freedom to express my disgust or true opinion on some stuff; when I started doing so, surprise! – I gradually stopped receiving promo material.

Nowadays I concentrate on the really good stuff that gets out (and thankfully there’s a lot of that still), NOT BITCHING ABOUT THINGS ALL THE TIME. I enjoy more.

I still however did bother to talk and debate things with my opinion and also commenting on others’ around forums and such; but day by day I feel like I should do a favor to those that are offended or annoyed and step aside, just listen and enjoy the brilliant stuff like Giacchino’s music - for myself alone. This way I might do myself a favor as well, i.e. of not getting annoyed and bored by the stupidness of many and the cheapness of others.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

John Scott
    Howard Shore (yes please, I'll take that)
    Bruce Broughton
    Cliff Eidelman (we already know he can do one!)
    Joel McNeely
    George Fenton
    Thomas Kantelinen
    Elliot Goldenthal
    Marco Beltrami
    Trevor Jones
    Lee Holdridge

and Arthur B Rubinstein. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I agree with those; but i wouldn't place Giacchino in any lower status to any of those. Still, I have my doubts whether those are the ones Ralph had in mind instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Amazing post, Demetris!

Very insightful, especially this:

The excessive amount of information, data and availability has turned most people into puzzled and confused absorbers who are eventually bored and tired.

Which is one of the reasons I find myself frightened by the next generation...because they take this excessive availability of information for granted and will becomebored and tired looooong before they should be...and then what?

Anyway, more on-topic...the fact that a few years ago I rather disliked Giacchino and preferred the RC stuff makes what Demetris is saying all the more meaningful...my tastes have changed so much in the last few years due to deliberate exposure to "real" music...to the point where I am far more excited about the next Giacchino score than the next Zimmer score...and I never ever thought that would happen.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    And all this only listening to some 30 sec clips spin dizzy
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We finally get a successful young composer, and we still manage to find something to bitch about! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Giacchino is miles ahead of the RC composers. I think only Hans himself and John Powell can rival him in that matter. His scores are very enjoyable and at the same time well scored for the movie!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    We finally get a successful young composer, and we still manage to find something to bitch about! biggrin

That would be the sum of all i've written in all those paragraphs; and then they say that Greeks are the masters of being succinct. shame wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Giacchino is miles ahead of the RC composers. I think only Hans himself and John Powell can rival him in that matter. His scores are very enjoyable and at the same time well scored for the movie!

In terms of artistry, I think Zimmer is up there. In terms of technical ability.... nah. No way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

In terms of artistry, I think Zimmer is up there. In terms of technical ability.... nah. No way.

Zimmer is without a doubt one of the current top. If only the army of incomparably inferior clones never existed though..
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    Zimmer is without a doubt one of the current top. If only the army of incomparably inferior clones never existed though..

Ditto!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Demetris, I wasn´t taking this personally, at least this time - when I wrote the other day, I was spoken to personally or quoted, so of course I took that one personally. Today I just reacted to your constant fear the critiques would wish for RC stuff. If it were some other movie, you were probably right, but here, this is clearly not the case.

franz_conrad wrote
    John Scott
    Bruce Broughton
    Joel McNeely
    George Fenton
    Thomas Kantelinen
    Elliot Goldenthal
    Marco Beltrami
    Trevor Jones
    Lee Holdridge

Christodoulides wrote
    I agree with those; but i wouldn't place Giacchino in any lower status to any of those. Still, I have my doubts whether those are the ones Ralph had in mind instead.

It´s exactly that kind of quality I had in mind, Demetris. I would be childishly excited immediately if I heard those names were to be associated with Trek. As a matter of fact, if you had asked me directly, I would have named at least Trevor Jones or Cliff Eidelman myself, and though I wouldn´t have thought of them, names like Broughton, Scott or Shore would have brightened me up immediately.

Personally, I would still add James Horner to the list, because after all, even if he would clone himself again, he would clone the right stuff; I also wouldn´t mind to get Alan Silvestri or James Newton Howard, or, if it HAD to be one of the new generation, Steve Jablonski in Steamboy mode (not(!) in Transformers mode).

Regarding to the other matters you mention, you´re right, of course. The constant bickering is exhausting, the lack of education is exhausting, and the strength it takes to remain civilized and educated the same time is exhausting. Your analysis about information overload is to the point and correct. I find myself in much the same place regarding to all those hobby critics out there and tend to stop sharing my joy about something and just concentrate on enjoying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph, don’t take things personally all the time; I am making rather general observations about the current state of things and tendencies that want everything easily digestible, teenage-oriented and pseudo-cool; if I am sparked by some specifics of the current topic, that doesn’t necessarily mean that I am talking to you or anyone else in specific, especially since I didn’t hint as such. If you’re the one who’s constantly feeling the need to defend yourself like if you are directly and unmistakably attacked or referenced in some of the posts like mine for instance, then I am afraid that’s not my problem.

To refrain: lately, I find myself rather tired and bored of certain aspects of today’s film music; like, for instance, the constant nagging, whining and bitching; everybody has his / her own stuff they want and expect to listen to all the time from each and every new film score, and anything or anyone who dares deviate a bit, is automatically criticized.

Giacchino is openly admitted by the majority of the film music fanbase and proven through his actual music, as one of the last few remaining actual composers in the genre today. Opposed to many of the younger golden boys, who emerged through the cinematic fanbase of the years past; now, many of those have easily found themselves into privileged positions, enjoying fancy, expensive and cool musical toys in those very young ages but that has caused them the obvious lack of both experience and also proper knowledge. ‘Cause lets face it: most of them haven’t got the slightest clue how to properly utilize their means, making up a constantly growing generation of trendy composers who are trying to reach their teenage idols’ status, but without having what it takes.

The rest are people who are actually in it ‘cause they’re properly trained and have that extra musical background, knowledge, gift and ability. These are the ones who know how to make proper, metered, balanced and meaningful music. They know what to do with their means (both people and tools) and most importantly, they have an artistic AIM with what they’re doing, not just messing around with notes and expensive equipment.

Those keep criticized in the best of cases (like Giacchino’s STAR TREK for instance) by people who have grown into a cultural / musical environment and background that demands easily digestible, insensibly loud and rock-oriented crap filled with excessive amounts of bass and reverb. These people either can’t help it ‘cause this is what they “learned” as cool and proper or most of them are completely ignorant of what preceded in musical history so far. Many of those people simply don’t care to look it up, learn a couple of things and gain a more fuller view on what music is.

The rest of these composers who should be getting the projects, are simply not lucky enough to even get some work.

In our days, I see around me in schools, clubs, bars, cafes, TV and mass media, the movies and musical industry, the streets and the universities, the colleges…..everywhere; what I see is more and more ignorance. In our days in which everyone should supposedly be more informed, cultivated and educated, most people find themselves dealing with such a vast number of different things that it’s impossible to concentrate and learn one of those fully. The excessive amount of information, data and availability has turned most people into puzzled and confused absorbers who are eventually bored and tired. They will leave it without actually starting to study it. I see smattered and sophomoric people around me every single day and that situation is way more dangerous and disappointing than perhaps a state of total ignorance or total illiteracy. But that itself is a general sign of our days anyway so the presence of it in the area of music (and film music in specific) doesn’t surprise me the slightest. However, It does disappoint and tire me.

And we come to the conclusion: many people who share opinions similar or close to mine will agree; others will call some of us old hacks (heck I am still 26 and feeling like that, I don’t want to think how it’ll be in 20-30 years time! wink ) and here we go into the essential loop that the humanity likes to call “the chasm of generations” and which leads absolutely nowhere. Personally speaking, I have reduced the time of actual debate about certain things ‘cause I face the same ol’ stupid pseudo-arguments all over and over again. I much rather concentrate on the smaller amount of the actually good new music around combined with the older gems to satisfy my needs; I stopped reviewing ‘cause I found that the average film score that gets released in our days (of total lack of any kind of filtering on what gets out on the public) is either instantly forgettable crap or not worthy of mentioning/reviewing. I also stopped reviewing ‘cause i started falling into the loop of reviewing stuff that was being sent to me but without having the freedom to express my disgust or true opinion on some stuff; when I started doing so, surprise! – I gradually stopped receiving promo material.

Nowadays I concentrate on the really good stuff that gets out (and thankfully there’s a lot of that still), NOT BITCHING ABOUT THINGS ALL THE TIME. I enjoy more.

I still however did bother to talk and debate things with my opinion and also commenting on others’ around forums and such; but day by day I feel like I should do a favor to those that are offended or annoyed and step aside, just listen and enjoy the brilliant stuff like Giacchino’s music - for myself alone. This way I might do myself a favor as well, i.e. of not getting annoyed and bored by the stupidness of many and the cheapness of others.

I wonder what Bregt thinks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

John Scott
    Bruce Broughton
    Joel McNeely
    George Fenton
    Thomas Kantelinen
    Elliot Goldenthal
    Marco Beltrami
    Trevor Jones
    Lee Holdridge

Hmm. No James Horner. Would love to hear a McNeely or Broughton score for a Star Trek film. (Or indeed another Eidelman one.) Fortunately I am also keen to hear a Giacchino score for a Star Trek film.

I feel like I'm in the Dark Knight thread again, only in reverse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

That would be the sum of all i've written in all those paragraphs; and then they say that Greeks are the masters of being succinct. shame wink

Whoever said that had never met you!