• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010 edited
    As I believe I've stated earlier, KRULL doesn't do much for me. It has one or two highlights, but is otherwise filled with too much horror and sneaking-around music for my taste (I own the previous 2CD set). I am, in fact, trying to give my old set away for free these days. So I'm obviously passing on the new LaLaLand release.

However, like Southall (or someone) said earlier, I WOULD like to check out a new version of the ol' LP presentation program. I think that would tailored more to my preference.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010
    Good idea: Southall, could you post your playlist/track list if you would?
    I'd be interested in that as well!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    1. Riding The Fire Mares (05:24)
    2. Slayer's Attack (09:22)
    3. Widow's Web (06:20)
    4. Colwyn And Lyssa (Love Theme) (02:36)
    5. Battle On The Parapets (02:32)
    6. The Widow's Lullaby (05:10)
    7. Destruction Of The Black Fortress (08:40)
    8. Epilogue And End Credits (04:48)

45 minutes of film music magnificence!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Looks great! I'd buy that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thanks, James!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    1. Riding The Fire Mares (05:24)
    2. Slayer's Attack (09:22)
    3. Widow's Web (06:20)
    4. Colwyn And Lyssa (Love Theme) (02:36)
    5. Battle On The Parapets (02:32)
    6. The Widow's Lullaby (05:10)
    7. Destruction Of The Black Fortress (08:40)
    8. Epilogue And End Credits (04:48)

45 minutes of film music magnificence!

Was this the same playlist as the Southern Cross release? ( I used to have it before I bought THE FAR MORE MAGNIFICENT 2 CD RELEASE! ) wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes!

I also used to have it but stupidly gave it away once I got the Southern Cross release, which I have only managed to listen to all the way through once. So I just recreated the original playlist.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I swapped mine for a copy of Morricone's THE THING cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Just because something has a tune does not mean it's cheese.

Well, being a huge fan of Rombi i would certainly NOT disagree with this one; but my point couldn't be further than what you're saying here. I have no desire to beat it any further though as i've always found that Horner, no matter how much i love most of the man's music, is one of those dangerously biased no-go fanboy territories for some. For others, this also extends to most of the 80's film music outcome in its entity too;
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Just because something has a tune does not mean it's cheese.

Well, being a huge fan of Rombi i would certainly NOT disagree with this one; but my point couldn't be further than what you're saying here. I have no desire to beat it any further though as i've always found that Horner, no matter how much i love most of the man's music, is one of those dangerously biased no-go fanboy territories for some. For others, this also extends to most of the 80's film music outcome in its entity too;

I don't know what this means!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    They're still pushing envelopes, in different, more mature ways and in different styles; i can't think of anyone who'll seriously support that John Williams wasn't pushing the envelope in WAR OF THE WORLDS, an outstanding modern composition.

Barry is innactive, Goldsmith is dead and John Williams is hardly pushing envelopes with the likes of War of The Worlds and A.I. etc ( though I love these scores and will not dis them ).

As for cheese, please pin-point for me where, exactly, Horner is cheesy in his 80's scores.

Waiting?

and I'm NOT a Horner fan boy no-go area
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm very worried that D was going down a "you're fan-boys, you think he can do no wrong, you just can't see the truth like I can" road. Very worried indeed. I sincerely hope I'm wrong - he's better than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I'm very worried that D was going down a "you're fan-boys, you think he can do no wrong, you just can't see the truth like I can" road. Very worried indeed. I sincerely hope I'm wrong - he's better than that.

Agreed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris doesn't enjoy Horner's earlier scores, which is fine.
    Nearly everyone else in this thread does, which is also fine.

There. No need to discuss musicology, fanboys, Rombi or indeed cheese.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Party pooper
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The fence was getting uncomfortable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It gave you piles.
  1. "I wear the cheese, it does not wear me"...

(if we're gonna be odd, let's go all the way)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    There's other film music than leitmotif_____leitmotif variation________leitmotif________end titles fanfare you know.

There is? shocked

War of the Worlds, Munich, A.I and Minority Report are all outstanding film scores.

That´s true. All of them work quite well in their movies. And there´s some stuff in Munich and A.I I really love. I also agree that Williams´ action & suspense stuff got edgier and more complex with every year, but that doesn´t make it necessarily more enjoyable during Tea Time. wink

For the record, War of the Worlds is my favorite Williams score. It was a score where I felt he really put his head to work with...
  3. And to answer my question, I already accepted a while ago that my tastes in film music were...unique (Jaws? Overrated. Minority Report? Awesome. Legends of the Fall? Overrated. Enemy at the Gates? Absolutely).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Jaws? Overrated

I can't wait to hear the explanation behind this one. An almost universally praised score that made an already brilliant film BETTER!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. I liked the beginning of it, including the main 2-note theme of course, but it got a bit too sentimental and optimistic for my tastes towards the end.

War of the Worlds, on the other hand, has a consistent amount of anger and anguish that not only thrills me but also moves me. Seriously, in terms of chaotic action music, you can't go wrong with "The Ferry Scene"...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I liked the beginning of it, including the main 2-note theme of course, but it got a bit too sentimental and optimistic for my tastes towards the end.

That's fair... but I don't see how that makes the score over rated. Are people wrong in praising it?

-Erik-
  5. No, I respect that it's become a part of American cinema. I just happen to prefer the modern 2000s Williams to any other period, just like with Horner...that's why I consider the score to Revenge of the Sith the best of the Star Wars series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's probably certainly your favourite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    This reminds me of that little debate we had some time before about people mixing up the concepts of "personal preference" (subjective; individualistic) and "overrated" ((more or less) objective; generalistic).

Saying Jaws is "overrated" simply makes no sense.
    It's simply not. Scholars and fanboys alike have been consistently unified in praise and appreciation for the musical and innovative worth of the score (and the film) for over thirty years.

Now that someone doesn't like the score as a matter of personal preference and taste, fair enough.
    But it's not overrated by any stretch of the imagination. smile

Probably.
    Certainly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can understand why Jaws might not be someone's cup of tea, especially to someone more accustomed to modern scores. But yes, overrated it most probably certainly is not!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So how would you probably certainly define "overrated" then? If everyone says something is brilliant but you think it's crap, then surely to you that thing is overrated?

I think we have more of a problem with "underrated". People say things like "Rombi is so underrated" when in fact 100% of comments about him at this messageboard liken the experience of listening to his music to having an orgasm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010 edited
    You sound bitter about it!

I don't think he's underrated, but I do think his music is wonderful. Also, I don't believe in "overrated" - It's not a word I use because I know how nasty it can be.

...are we still in the James Horner thread?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010 edited
    I don't use it either. But I don't see how it can be factually wrong for someone to say they think something is overrated.

I was only using Rombi as an example. "Underrated" is the most badly-used word on this forum because people use it to describe people like Rombi (and Gordon and Eidelman and Broughton etc) when in reality those people are very highly rated.