• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010
    justin boggan wrote
    Popular opinion and amount of praised heeped upon something does not equel "good", though. Something can have praised sung about it by a bunch, but still such balls. A comment about something being "overrated" can be a good choice of words, if -- for example -- one is saying, "Transformers is overrated", while someone saying, "Jaws" or "Dances With Wolves", is clearly WRONG.

Again, "The Island" (sorry, Jablonsky -- you again) is "overrated", while "Conan the Barbarian" is certain NOT overrated.

Okay, fair enough. Why is Tranformers overrated? Why is Conan not?
  1. You know the phrase, "If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it", well ... if you have to ask ... you probably can't understand it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    Again, "The Island" (sorry, Jablonsky -- you again) is "overrated", while "Conan the Barbarian" is certain NOT overrated.

It is if you happen to not think it's very good. A score can't factually be classed as "good" or "bad". If I happened to (be crazy enough to) think that Conan was not a very good score then by definition I would think it was overrated.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    You know the phrase, "If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it", well ... if you have to ask ... you probably can't understand it.

cop out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010 edited
    Transformers (or the Island) is certainly not overrated 'cause nobody presented it to be anything more than what it actually is, a fun bold RC score, way better than what the average rc composer usually delivers. Now if anyone said it was a milestone in film music (which i missed, if that ever happened), then your comment would apply; which indeed is not the case here. I get the way you think, but accusing transformers now out of the blue is an unfortunate example imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    justin boggan wrote
    You know the phrase, "If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it", well ... if you have to ask ... you probably can't understand it.

It was actually a genuine question - not everything is an insult to your honour, Justin. I happen to agree that Conan almost certainly deserves more praise than Transformers.

Why? Fuck it, who knows. :shrug:
  2. Not when I've actually seen it on more than one person's lists of "Best Scores" from that year -- off the top of my head, but then again ... I don't keept a "Dear Diary" is people posting facts to back myself up randomly in threads.

Besides, I don't need half a diary of Jordi comments. You just suddenly shake and get feaverish.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw who would have thought that Hans Zimmer would stop in fact cause controversy any more and that theme would be replaced by James Horner????? By God, JAMES HORNER!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Btw who would have thought that Hans Zimmer would stop in fact cause controversy any more and that theme would be replaced by James Horner????? By God, JAMES HORNER!

If I am reading your post correctly (doesn't make perfect sense) ... since when has Horner stopped causing controvery since he first lifted from one of his own film scores? From then on to "Avatar" and the piece for the aviation show recently, he's still rippin' himself off like there's no tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    KRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Nah.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Old chinese speaker of wise cliches say 'in life, room for both excellence, there is'.
  4. THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooobs
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Old chinese speaker of wise cliches say 'in life, room for both excellence, there is'.

A wise saying indeed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Or was that Nelson Mandela while high on Ecstasy? dizzy
  5. Side BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUVv1qcZo_E
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADE!

no one...
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I simply must watch Jaws again and try to figure out what on earth everyone sees in it. I just don't get it. slant
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    I simply must watch Jaws again and try to figure out what on earth everyone sees in it. I just don't get it. slant

Maybe throw away your Super 8 truncated silent version of the film might help?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADE!

no one...

:tumbleweed:
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I saw it on TV.
    Maybe there is some secret magical flow to the scene editing that the commercials disrupt?? tongue
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. All hail Maintitles.net posters: Destroyers of Bandwidth! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

However, my comments are especially aimed at some dense opposition i've observed through the last 6 months or so, coming from some certain forum members, against the usage of the word 'overrated' itself, in general.

It's spelt Steven, in case you were wondering.

Seems not liking a negative word is a bad thing! dizzy

Spelt Peter too. To me it's the arrogance behind the word that annoys me, rather than the word itself. Calling something overrated is basically like saying "I don't like this music so everyone who does must be wrong". This not only implies that you're the ultimate arbiter of taste, but that people who like something you don't have a poor taste in music.

I think most people who use it don't take it literally though. They just use it because it's a strong word that gives their statement some attention and more apparent weight. In other words empty bluster.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I am overrated.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    I am overrated.

By yourself, nonetheless. Maybe we could all benefit from 30 minute does a week, with no re-runs, of you. ;-)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I am overrated.

no, just overstated. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Thor wrote
    I am overrated.

Not at all, people just quote you too much!
  8. fommes wrote
    Thor wrote
    I am overrated.

Not at all, people just quote you too much!

Mostly himself! More self rips than Horner!