• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    There's other film music than leitmotif_____leitmotif variation________leitmotif________end titles fanfare you know.

Sure.
    It's just extremely unenjoyable when divorced from the movie.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bollocks
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    The way i see music, sometimes invetibly through the musicologist's pov too, and especially as someone who's in essense grown up mostly from 199+ - to date, his current, later stage as a composer (as every composer goes through stages) is much closer to my tastes than what he did in the 80's and in the era you mentioned before, many (basically most) of those scores i can't stand listening to. Plus he's writing is much more coherent and he has also matured as a composer too;

You certainly suffer from Horner's ability to waffle on! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Huh?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bollocks

No, dear boy.
    Well established and universally accepted FACT!

Steven wrote
    You certainly suffer from Horner's ability to waffle on! biggrin
    Christodoulides wrote
    Huh?

Uh-oh...
    <insert Horner danger motif>
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010 edited
    Only a fact if your brain can't handle more complex and advanced forms of composition. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ahhhh, the old "you jusst don't UNDERSTAND it" point. biggrin

I'm sorry. shame I should have realized droning noisy athematic atonal dross is good for me.
    I'll start on it immediately after I've had my daily bowl of cod-liver oil! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're both wrong, and you're both right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Non-Commital Fence Balancing prize of the week is awarded to ...Steven.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I neither approve or disapprove of this decision.
  2. I agree. Probably.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Ahhhh, the old "you jusst don't UNDERSTAND it" point. biggrin

I'm sorry. shame I should have realized droning noisy athematic atonal dross is good for me.
    I'll start on it immediately after I've had my daily bowl of cod-liver oil! lick

I am sorry, i know it's a dick response but i can't think of anything sane to say to anyone who characterizes music like the above-mentioned as 'droning noisy athematic atonal dross'. Would you also say the same about Goldenthal's music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Christodoulides wrote
    Would you also say the same about Goldenthal's music?

His action & suspense stuff often fits the above mentioned description, yes.
    On every of the three CDs I own (Alien 3, Final Fantasy, and Interview with a Vampire), the tracks can be separated into this:
    10 % - awe-inspiring greatness
    20 % - lovely stuff
    20 % - okay stuff
    20 % - bearable but ultimately boring stuff
    30 % - unbearable stuff
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Would you also say the same about Goldenthal's music?

Quite a large part of, as a matter of fact (especially Grendel... vomit )
    EDIT: Ralph summed it up nicely. smile
    But that's neither here nor there: it's not composer related, obviously. It's composition related.

I don't find Williams atonal or boring or unenjoyable. I find -and mind how specific I am- the CD of his The War Of The Worlds not even close to what I would consider an enjoyable musical experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Agreed. But again, most of it - even the unbearable stuff - works great within the context of the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Absolutely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I rest my case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    This conversation makes me want to listen to War of the Worlds.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, don't; apparently it's a crappy unlistenable atonal CD. Go listen to some highly superior 80's cheese instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    I rest my case.

By either an insanity plea or throwing yourself upon the mercy of the court, apparently. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, don't; apparently it's a crappy unlistenable atonal CD. Go listen to some highly superior 80's cheese instead.

This conversation makes me want to taste some higly superior Delerue cheese.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love the score to War Of The Worlds, both outside and inside the movie, but I can understand where Martijn is coming from.

I also prefer my fence stained than painted, but wouldn't mind either way.
  3. Timmer wrote
    You're bonkers! tongue

Anyone who thinks "The Journey of Natty Gann" is cheese, and "Enemy At the Gates" is a GOOD score ... needs their head checked.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Natty Gann is not cheese, but Enemy At The Gates is a good score. (It's just poorly presented on the album; too long.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Just because something has a tune does not mean it's cheese.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    They're still pushing envelopes, in different, more mature ways and in different styles; i can't think of anyone who'll seriously support that John Williams wasn't pushing the envelope in WAR OF THE WORLDS, an outstanding modern composition.

Barry is innactive, Goldsmith is dead and John Williams is hardly pushing envelopes with the likes of War of The Worlds and A.I. etc ( though I love these scores and will not dis them ).

As for cheese, please pin-point for me where, exactly, Horner is cheesy in his 80's scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Natty Gann is not cheese, but Enemy At The Gates is a good score. (It's just poorly presented on the album; too long.)

I like Natty Gann, and I also think Enemy At The Gates is a GOOD score.....know any good shrinks Steven?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt